Very depressed over reactive hypo

Razper

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, bacon and scrambled eggs sounds great. But if in the mornng I'm with a bit low sugar, will that food (bacon and eggs) raise it to more accpetible levels since the GI index is zero?

If there is a doctor here, please take a look at my OGTT results from above if they mean anything about RH.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None of us are doctors, so we cannot give medical advice. We are all sharing information based on personal experience of our own research and medical conditions.

You are obviously concerned that you will hypo eating protein and fat.
Why don’t you try it, while testing every few minutes to see what happens.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a bit low sugar then your liver should release glucose - you are trying to second guess what should be a perfectly normal response, and I suspect you are over correcting - with bread when maybe a tomato fried with the bacon would be a far better option.

lindisfel

Expert
If you want to get off the switch back Razper stop going up the hills.

Your lows are caused by your highs.

Your OGTT will be irrelevant if you eat low carb!

If you low carb, you may not go into keto and still control your blood glucose roller coaster at c.50grams of carb a day. There are some carbs in broccoli and spinach and leeks. Even eggs have one carb each! :)

There are thousands on this site who have not fainted for lack of sugar or white bread!

Try it out on a day when you are at home or not working.

regards
Derek

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I took the OGTT the insulin after 60 minutes was 72.9 mIU/ml with normal ranges between 3 mIU/ml and 45 mIU/ml. The doctor said it was okay, but I'm not sure.

After 120 minutes the insulin was in the norm with 24 mIU/ml and ranges from 8.7 mIU/ml to 30 mIU/ml. Does the first spike of insulin represents ractive hypoglicemia?

My glucose after 60 minutes was 7.1mmol/l and after 120 minutes was 3.9 mmol/l.

The numbers looks reasonable good to me. But typically OGTT would be extended to 4 hrs to see how muc further glucose continues to drop.

As a T2D not on medication...the lowest after meal response I measured was ...3.0 mmol. Just around 3 hours after meal.

21558543_10155805796399445_486024216264792768_n.jpg

Razper

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Does reactive Hypo gets worse over time, and does it lead to diabetes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It depends.

My experience is that by controlling the carbs in my diet, and strictly avoiding gluten, i can avoid RH episodes and have done so for the last few years - and that is after experiencing RH since childhood.

But of course I have no idea what the future holds for myself, or for you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It can do if not dietary controlled and because of many factors of symptoms and hormonal imbalances and response, it can also lead to diabetes.

Hi, @Razper,

This question reminds me of a period I had before diagnosis, I was having continuous episodes of Hypoglycaemia, hyperglycaemia, hyperinsulinaemia, insulin resistance and I according to my endocrinologist, really ill, but I didn't have a clue.
The symptoms were endless from morning till night.
I had no idea, nor did my doctors.
So despite being on so called diets that should have been helping me, the carbs were making me ill.
Because having RH, means that we get an overshoot of insulin, the levels of insulin in your blood will rise. This will lead to hypos. We have to avoid these overshoot by not eating food that triggers the insulin response.

If we do not eat accordingly to stop the triggers, the amount of insulin increases, insulin resistance increases, the fluctuations get higher and lower, your health suffers. If not treated it will end with RH and T2 diabetes, and probably hyperinsulinaemia.
Because of my experience, I would not recommend this.
Being healthy and avoiding those foods, is a better decision I made.