Very hungry new Diabetic

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I see from your signature your review is due this week. We will all be very interested to see what your new HbA1c results are and whether your levels have improved..

Yes im due to see the DN on Thursday a month has soon gone hasnt it.Will she test the HbA1c that day ?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
We dont get precious we are sensible and my food is not greasy. If you want to understand lots of reasons out there go read dietdoctor.com or the Southpirt Dr who has just done a trial of subjects on it go ask the Swedish health authorities and go find the info instead of sarcastically asking those who are loosing weight bloods under excellent control reversing health problems and helping others....oh also wont be replying you are on ignore

I have a good pen pal who does LCHF and he does not get too excited to discuss it properly. He does not get all insulted or rush off in a huff. He just says it has worked for him and he enjoys eating chilled coconut oil with a spoon for breakfast. Recently he has been eating more carbs but he has lost a huge amount of weight.

You say your food is not greasy, then how is HF not greasy, I really would like to know. Do you enjoy eating chilled coconut oil with a spoon for breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We dont get precious we are sensible and my food is not greasy. If you want to understand lots of reasons out there go read dietdoctor.com or the Southpirt Dr who has just done a trial of subjects on it go ask the Swedish health authorities and go find the info instead of sarcastically asking those who are loosing weight bloods under excellent control reversing health problems and helping others....oh also wont be replying you are on ignore

Who's this post aimed at ?

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Neither did I.
I lived on over summer last year.
On a restricted calorie diet
Now I generally eat low GI, a lot of veg, but you have to get the diabetes under control first.

I changed everything I eat, mostly to what I didn't like, as that's what got me there in the first place.

Hows that work i mean eating what you didnt like ?

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you clicked on the link and had a read yet?
Have you been to the diets section in here yet?
Do you accept you have a serious disease and have to do something about it yet?
You can do it.

Yeah ive got loads of Links saved in my email folders so as not to loose any of em.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very confusing Jack as i was told to eat carbs like Spuds,Cereals,Pasta,Rice and bread

Johnboy - This is like stepping back in time. The messages you are getting now about testing and reducing the carby foods have all been posted before, if you go back to your initial activity.

Whilst I sympathise that you are on benefits, and as such on a limited budget, but (and I know I risk being shot down here....), sometimes it's about choices. Let me give you an example. You state in various places you have a bowl of AllBran for breakfast in order to keep you moving along. I'm not going to make any comment on the carb content/diabetes friendly nature of that choice, just going to do a price comparison.

I compared All Bran versus Porridge Oats, plus added bran. Doing that alone would save you over £3 a month, which could make a contribution to your testing supplies. Do something similar with one or two ready meals a month and you have saved all the money.

The thing is, this disease requires effort to control it, unless you really don't care. By only changing a few carbs for "better" carbs, I doubt you will have made much difference to your blood scores. Exercise is helpful, but you have to do a fair amount of it, if you expect that alone to make a difference.

When you see the nurse this week, I do hope she does a finger prick test, to at least give you an idea where you stand at the moment. What were your blood scores at diagnosis? Your signature isn't clear.

By testing now, you will learn how to best manage this, then you will probably be able to reduce it, if not give up testing all together. Many people find this is how it happens.

John - I'll repeat what I said before. You need to make the effort now, or your journey is likely to be longer and trickier than it need be.

If you would like to see my calculations, I'll happily post them.

Reactions: 8 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hows that work i mean eating what you didnt like ?

Very well.
My HbA1c is in the normal range.
My fasting BS is good.
My BS throughout the day is good.

I've decreased a lot of my insulin resistance.
I eat completely differently to how I used to eat, and it is a much healthier way of eating now.

If you meant how did it work when I made the change, I decided to eat salads and lose weight.
The decision was easy, compared to carrying on with worsening diabetes.

If you meant how does a diet of eating what you don't like work?
Even that's better than eating a diet of what you do like, knowing what it's done to you so far.

And, after a short while, my tastes changed.

Change what you can, it doesn't happen overnight.
Give up sugar, white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.
You can do that, realise you are still ok, and happy, and don't miss them, then move onto phase 2

We all started as you did, we're all here, because we made life altering decisions.
No-one made them on the first day though.

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@douglas99 I meant you ate something you dont like ? i think if i ate something that i dont like id be sick

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@douglas99 I meant you ate something you dont like ? i think if i ate something that i dont like id be sick

Be one way of losing weight.
Not the best though.

Seriously though. if you don't like salad, if it's that bad it makes you sick, you have to make a choice. Eat it until you stop being sick, or move onto something else.
I preferred the first choice, as if you're not careful, you run out of healthy things to eat, before you find you have accepted you need to change.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

John, I believe you are still in denial and burying your head in the sand. Until you start testing (and there is no real excuse not to do so) you will never come to terms with any sort of diet. You seem to be looking for any excuse to continue eating the foods that put you where you are. You also seem to be eating far too much bread. Maybe you have changed from white to wholegrain, but both turn to sugar in your body. The only reason wholegrain is recommended over white is because it is better for general health than white, and because it takes longer to digest, but it still digests. Please get a meter and test. You may start to believe us then!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Eating what you like seems to have lead you here mate.
If that's the case then you have to change something.
Sugar (carbs) make you fat and ill.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
What gets me Johnny is how many people and so called pro's approach this disease as if it were some minor passing thing ... just don't eat so many chips ... use sweeteners in your coffee quit the coca cola stuff and you'll be fine.
That simply isn't true.
The reality is there are people on this very site who's eye sight is going ... had limbs cut off have excruciating pain and so on.
This is a disease that will take you out piece by piece and you think cutting down on the chip butties is the answer?
Sorry to be so blunt Johnny but why not take a good long hard look at your feet and legs below the knee ... wave goodbye to them now cos they are quite common bits to be taken from you.
How about your eye sight ... enjoy it now mate while you can.
I suppose you have to care enough about yourself and those around you to actually get off your **** and put some real effort in .... and don't forget to get another loaf of bread while your out ....

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating salad does not just mean boring lettuce cucumber and tomato,.Try chopping some walnuts and avocado with some blue cheese get some crunch from radish and a little red and green pepper Although you may be a fussy eater try experimenting you never know you may enjoy different foods
CAROL

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
For me the only way to survive and ... thrive with this disease is to get angry at it.
Angry enough to beat the **** out of it.
I'm angry that the approach at my surgery is very lax toward this disease apart from one person there.
I spent the first year doing what Johnny is doing because that is what I was told.
I can't remember how I came across this place but what a shock it was!
I read for a while didn't really take it on board ... some of the diet stuff sounded really off the wall but then ... my illness kept on winning and worrying me more and more. The symptoms that took me to the doctor in the first place remained and slowly got worse and I was following their advice.
I came back here and couldn't remember my user name let alone the password so started again.
This time I thought ... these lunatics who are telling people to go low carb high fat ... I have nothing to lose by giving it a go and ... they mostly seem happy with the way they are taking control of this ... I want some control and ... I want if possible to keep all my bits.
Within two months my weight is down my energy is up my outlook is positive I'm even enjoying all this yoghurt and veg!!!!!
I love the fact I can have a fry up ... especially with a piece of fried bread.
I even understand why one of the inmates here started a thread about how having diabetes was a positive thing for him/her.
I don't agree but I have come to understand the attitude behind the starting of the thread.
I'm actually getting some enjoyment out of the challenge and the changes right now.
Most important is I can see that yes I do have some power over this horrible disease.
I've said it before but I'm saying it again ... thank you lunatics and inmates of this forum ... you have ... changed my life and possibly helped save it.
That's how serious this is.

Reactions: 14 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Eating what you like seems to have lead you here mate.
If that's the case then you have to change something.
Sugar (carbs) make you fat and ill.

Yeah i realise that but i will have to take my chances cos i aint gunna eat what i dont like thats crazy and yes i have tried things in the past thats how i know what i dont like.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So give us a list of what you do like.

Veg = Pots,peas and mushrooms
Fruit usually plums and bananas
dairy = milk,yogurt,cheese,
meat = pork,lamb,beef,chicken,turkey,ham,bacon,corned beef,roast beef,