Very pleased newbie to T2...after three weeks

JER1507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Morning!

Well on 17th May I was given the news that I was type 2 with HbA1c of 58 and BG of 7.

I started on a ketogenic diet and bought an exercise bike that very day and I am pleased to say that after a repeat set of bloods at GP last week my HbA1c has gone down to 50 already and BG was 5.8 and to top it off I have lost 19lb in weight. My GP was really pleased and told me that I don't have to go on any meds if I continue this way. I realise that as I get older things may change medication wise but I bought a book by Dr David Cavan which was about reversing diabetes. I used to work with him in Royal Bournemouth Hospital many years ago and he was/is a brilliant endocrinologist and it was a really good book to read and learn from.

Anyway this post was to cheer anyone up who has recently been diagnosed and feeling very deflated (I know I did as I did not have any symptoms at all) that if you can clear your head, change your mindset and that this is a forever illness then diet and exercise has to become an everyday norm for us (if you are able). Obviously there maybe times when we all deserve a little something now and then but as long as it just now and then it won't have any long impact on our diabetes. Someone very wise on here said to have two squares of dark chocolate 85% or above to curb any cravings and it does really work. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I could ever just have two squares of chocolate!!

My BG this morning was 5.7 :)

I hope you all have a great weekend

Jude x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning!

Well on 17th May I was given the news that I was type 2 with HbA1c of 58 and BG of 7.

I started on a ketogenic diet and bought an exercise bike that very day and I am pleased to say that after a repeat set of bloods at GP last week my HbA1c has gone down to 50 already and BG was 5.8 and to top it off I have lost 19lb in weight. My GP was really pleased and told me that I don't have to go on any meds if I continue this way. I realise that as I get older things may change medication wise but I bought a book by Dr David Cavan which was about reversing diabetes. I used to work with him in Royal Bournemouth Hospital many years ago and he was/is a brilliant endocrinologist and it was a really good book to read and learn from.

Anyway this post was to cheer anyone up who has recently been diagnosed and feeling very deflated (I know I did as I did not have any symptoms at all) that if you can clear your head, change your mindset and that this is a forever illness then diet and exercise has to become an everyday norm for us (if you are able). Obviously there maybe times when we all deserve a little something now and then but as long as it just now and then it won't have any long impact on our diabetes. Someone very wise on here said to have two squares of dark chocolate 85% or above to curb any cravings and it does really work. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I could ever just have two squares of chocolate!!

Jude x
Congratulations @JER1507 well done you on turning things right round on receiving your diagnosis and also finding the right advice to do it. Amazing the improvements that can be made in short time when you do the right things for your body. Great that you’ve posted here too to show what can be possible to those just setting out on managing their health, or in shock from their diagnosis. It’s funny about the chocolate I have daily small amounts which keep me on track (it’s good for you provided it’s more than 85% proper chocolate ) 5 years on I need to stick to 100% chocolate to keep to the small amount as, as your taste buds change, even 90% choc now tastes sweet and I could eat more than two squares !
Congratulations and enjoy going forwards as you improve your health even more by eating in a way that suits your body.

Reactions: ziggy_w and JER1507

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning!

Jude x

Congratulations on your weight loss and BGs!

How is keto affecting your LDL numbers?

Reactions: JER1507

JER1507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Congratulations on your weight loss and BGs!

How is keto affecting your LDL numbers?

Hi , strangely enough my doctor hasn’t requested a lipid profile yet but I’m sure he will do. I will keep you updated.

Jude

FatBadger

Hi.
Thank’s for this post, it really struck a chord.
I was just diagnosed with T2 on Monday and have been struggling to get my head around it. I’m apparently not at the point of needing meds. So they’re bringing me back in 12 weeks to see if in the meantime I can reduce my levels and my weight sufficiency to avoid them, at least for now.

I’ve spent the week daunted and I suppose a little disbelieving of the permanent changes which have to happen now and my ability to do it. So it was really nice to read your post and even had a bit of a chuckle about your two squares of chocolate.
At the end of a very hard week of dieting my wife and I decided to allow ourselves a bit of chocolate. Research told us dark chocolate, start at 70% and work up as you develop a taste. So we’ve had a bar sitting on the shelf for the week, ready to go. But when I read I was only to have two squares…. I said “yer avin a giraffe mate! Two squares? A bar each more like!”
But two squares I had and in fairness two squares turned out to be ample. ….. I still want some Jaffa Cakes though!

Anyway, thank’s for the inspiring words.
FatBadger

Reactions: JER1507