VICTOZA users

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: VICTOZA

kay957 said:
I am now approaching over 4 weeks of being on Victoza, I still have a bloated feeling but other from that my BG levels are excellent, so much better controlled than on tablets. However the weight loss is now slowing down? has anyone else had this effect?

I thought you got some gunpowder from Tesco's to shift the bloating...LOL

Yeah, the weight loss has slowed down but its now about approx 1lb every 5 days and that'll do me fine. I'm told if it comes off too quickly, it tends to creep back on with time.
Something I have noticed is that the pens do not hold a full 15 days supply @ 1.2 and about 3/4 of a dose is left in the pen, with not enough clicks left to do the final 15th injection. I mentioned this to the chemist and they were not the least bit surprised. I was told I must be too conserative when doing the daily squirt to rid the air after fitting the needle, but I cant see the point of wasting any more when the drop appears at the needle end *dunno*

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hobs said:
[Something I have noticed is that the pens do not hold a full 15 days supply @ 1.2 and about 3/4 of a dose is left in the pen, with not enough clicks left to do the final 15th injection. I mentioned this to the chemist and they were not the least bit surprised. I was told I must be too conserative when doing the daily squirt to rid the air after fitting the needle, but I cant see the point of wasting any more when the drop appears at the needle end *dunno*

Hobs.
The only time you should be checking the pen is when it is new.......you do NOT check it each day !
There is no need to get rid of any air as it is a sealed syringe, the air bubbles are normal and do not affect the dose.

That is the reason why you are not getting the full amount of doses. Check when new and that is it unless it is thought to be faulty. Check the Patient Information leaflet and Pen instructions for the correct way to use the pen and injecting.

Ken

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

I'm only doing what my DN explained and demonstrated...she included needle change and daily purging, so that is what I do, which was also agreed by the pharmacist in Boots.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hobs,
Have you yourself actually read the Patient Information and the instructions for use of the pen ? You only use that procedure with a new pen, not every day.

What you have been told is incorrect and they should know that. Trust me, I am a pen user also, and it is the same procedure as Byetta. I can provide the full instructions here if you wish ?

Ken

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hobs said:
kay957 said:
I am now approaching over 4 weeks of being on Victoza, I still have a bloated feeling but other from that my BG levels are excellent, so much better controlled than on tablets. However the weight loss is now slowing down? has anyone else had this effect?

I thought you got some gunpowder from Tesco's to shift the bloating...LOL

Yeah, the weight loss has slowed down but its now about approx 1lb every 5 days and that'll do me fine. I'm told if it comes off too quickly, it tends to creep back on with time.
Something I have noticed is that the pens do not hold a full 15 days supply @ 1.2 and about 3/4 of a dose is left in the pen, with not enough clicks left to do the final 15th injection. I mentioned this to the chemist and they were not the least bit surprised. I was told I must be too conserative when doing the daily squirt to rid the air after fitting the needle, but I cant see the point of wasting any more when the drop appears at the needle end *dunno*

Hi Hobbs I agree with you about the pen not holding the full 15 day dosage, when I come to the end of the pen I don't have enough to do a 1.2 dose, seems such a waste. My new box of Victoza has 3 pens in it, opposed the two I normally get, maybe the manufacturers have discovered that this happened and redistributed the dosage between three pens?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

kay957 said:
Hi Hobbs I agree with you about the pen not holding the full 15 day dosage, when I come to the end of the pen I don't have enough to do a 1.2 dose, seems such a waste. My new box of Victoza has 3 pens in it, opposed the two I normally get, maybe the manufacturers have discovered that this happened and redistributed the dosage between three pens?

Kay957
Does this mean that you too are checking the flow every time you inject or not ? That would be the incorrect way to do it.

If you are checking the flow each time you will never get the full 15 doses from the 18mg pen.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

VICTOZA INFORMATION
by cugila » February 16th, 2010, 8:26 am

Re-posted here as I have deleted my original topic......we don't want to see the Victoza threads all over the place do we. Keep all the Victoza info in one nice thread. :D
Ken.

A short extract:
In preliminary recommendations published today (15 February 2010), NICE has recommended liraglutide 1.2 mg daily as part of triple therapy regimens (in combination with metformin and sulfonylurea, or metformin and a thiazolidinedione) as an option for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, when control of blood glucose remains or becomes inadequate (HbA1c ≥ 7.5%, or other higher level agreed with the individual).

The patient being treated must have a body mass index of ≥ 35kg/m2 (in those of European descent, and appropriate adjustments made for other ethnic groups), and specific psychological or medical problems associated with high body weight.

Liraglutide is also recommended for patients with a BMI ≤ 35 kg/m2, where insulin therapy would have significant occupational implications, or weight loss would benefit other significant obesity-related comorbidities[1]. Treatment with liraglutide should only be continued if the person has a beneficial metabolic response. This is defined as a reduction of at least 1.0 percentage point in HbA1c (the level of glucose present in the blood) and a weight loss of at least 3% of initial body weight after six months[2].

The full article here:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179192.php

PatW

Hello all,

Just a quick update. I have just completed 6 weeks on Victoza and have lost 14 lbs which I think is excellent. I feel good and no problems. Even if you lose half a pound just think of it as a packet of butter or lard. I am eating a varied healthy diet just smaller portions than before Victoza. My BG levels are good so Victoza gets the thumbs up from me.

No problems with the pens but I only check flow on a new pen as stated on the instructions.

We shall all feel better when the weather gets warmer. Still very cold today in West Yorkshire.
Take care all.

Pat

de33y1502

hi all im new to this site, n been on victoza for a week now. bloods doing ok, but justa small problem dose anyone suffer with belching n bottom burps (lol) if i not doing one im doing the other, or both a the same time, but with the belching it like ive eaten 20 fryed egg sandwiches, not very nice.. i know flatulence is a side affect but both..im on insulin plus victoza n metformin tablets..ty from a very windy person :oops: :lol:

san

hi all

have been on victoza for 4 weeks now doing very well bg down and weight coming down. however still suffering from sick stomach. Has anyone got any advice or anti sickness tables from doctor?

cpp

san said:
hi all

have been on victoza for 4 weeks now doing very well bg down and weight coming down. however still suffering from sick stomach. Has anyone got any advice or anti sickness tables from doctor?
found that sipping squash helped. some nice unsweetened ones out there, or even tried ginger tea. the sicky feeling does not last long though

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

cugila said:
Hobs,
Have you yourself actually read the Patient Information and the instructions for use of the pen ? You only use that procedure with a new pen, not every day.

What you have been told is incorrect and they should know that. Trust me, I am a pen user also, and it is the same procedure as Byetta. I can provide the full instructions here if you wish ?

Ken

Yes I did, and I am just off the phone after I raised this issue with my DN and she got my GP to respond within minutes... I am to continue checking to see that at least one drop appears at the end of the needle each time I have fitted a new needle. This is to ensure that all the air has been expelled from the needle and that the bore is clear and ready for use. Not to do this could inject the air contained by the needle into my abdomen and although highly unlikely to reach my heart, if it did, then a clot could form...my GP also added that his DN was correct in her demonstration of fitting a needle and checking for the drop at each subsequent change and I am to do the same.
Actually he got quite indignant that I had the nerve to challenge the instructions give to me during the demonstration.. :lol:
So there you are..that is from the horses ars ..errm, mouth :wink:

Lindart

Cuglia is correct about the use of the pen and your doctor is wrong. Doctors don't know everything and will never admit that they are wrong.

There is a very good professional video on YouTube on the use of the pen. It explicitly says to expel the air only once:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04liIzKb0m8

Of course, it doesn't hurt anything for you to keep wasting the medicine if you are comfortable with that, but you will never get the full doses from the container that way.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Lindart.
Thank you for your intervention. What an excellent Video you have provided too. Thank you. :D

For the benefit of any Victoza users who are not getting the full dose you need to look at this and digest the facts. I don't post on here unless I am sure of the facts. These facts are 100% correct. As you say the Doc and the DN are both wrong if they insist that you check the flow every time you put a new needle on. It is just plain wrong.

You only check the flow when you start using a new pen !

Here is the link to the EMEA Document with the correct Manufacturers instruction as to how to use the pen.
http://www.ema.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs ... -PI-en.pdf

Read from page 26 which gives chapter and verse as to what to do. Print it off and show it your Dr and DN if you like, refer them to here and get them to contact me. What I posted here is correct.
We are not talking about an Insulin Pen here.

Hobs.
I have explained why you are not getting the full dose and what you chose to do is entirely up to you.
As for the Horse's mouth.......I think it is from the other end....... :lol:
Ken

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I was told by my SDN that on each time using the pen to get a small drop out of the end of the needle to check the flow is still ok, this is what I do everytime. We seem to be having conflicting advice, one says we should only do it once, the SDN's say every time? who is correct?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Kay957 wrote, We seem to be having conflicting advice, one says we should only do it once, the SDN's say every time? who is correct?

I would have thought it was obvious....... :?

The manufacturer and the European Medical Agency who licence the stuff for use surely know exactly how it should be used and injected. That is why the advice given here is taken from those documents and posted here. Read the instructions which are provided. It is clear and unambiguous.

Kay, if you use that method advised by the DSN you are simply wasting the drug. That is proven by the fact that you do not get the full dose from the pen. The great Video from our US member Lindart proves it is only flow checked when a NEW pen is used for the first time. That is plain and simple a FACT.

Health Professionals are not always right.......this is one of those cases. They are WRONG. I have always challenged my HCP's when I have believed them wrong.......that is what you and Hobs should do......show them the evidence......the facts. If they still think they are right.......then frankly they are not just wrong.......they are @?!@&($£^ idots. Why not print off this thread for them....give them the link........ :wink:

There is little point in prolonging this. I have posted what is correct.......if you don't believe that then fine. Your choice.

Ken

Attachments

• banghead.gif
    banghead.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 3,457

Lindart

Two questions:

1. How is air going to get into the pen? It is not the old-fashioned kind of syringe with a plunger that you pull back on. You can't do that with this pen. Also, a speck of air is not going to hurt anything even if it gets in a vein. Tv shows make people think this.

2. What is going to clog the needle? You could tell instantly if you couldn't push down to inject.

I would bet that your doctors have no idea how the pen works and are just reciting something they learned in medical school years ago. They want to appear smart and to know it all.

willinoregon

I've been using victoza for almost 3 weeks now and have had the following experiences:

1) My 3 hour postprandial BG is down to 100 to 115 and stays rock solid until my next meal. Using Novolog, it would bounce between 120 and 140 with occasional swings down to the 90's.

2) When starting the lowest dosage, I experienced 1 bout of nausea for approx 2 hours 2 days after taking my first injection. After stepping up to the dosage level, I experienced the same plus 1 or 2 days of moderate indigestion in the evenings.

3) I was felling mildly hypoglycemic for the first week after lunch and dinner. However, that seems to be improving quickly.

When my endo spoke to me about this, he said that the cancer risk didn't transfer over to a primate study that the FDA made the manufacturer do after the initial study results were compiled. He indicated that the calcium uptake metabolism in rats as compared to primates was different enough to not be a concern - especially since the primate study showed no statistical increase in cancer rates.

He said that people who don't tolerate byetta very well may want to look at victoza since the active ingredient is 97% similar to what is produced naturally by the human body. Byetta is 55% similar.

So far I've had VERY good luck with this. It's such a relief to go from 4 or 5 shots per day to 2 shots per day (I still take my levamir once a day).

One thing I have noticed is that if certain foods cause gastric problems, then victoza will make it until your system adjusts to it.

cpp

week 4 completed,bloods down to single figuers now, no sicky feeling, or indigestion.Am on 1.8 dose,and had no problems going up to that.Weight has dropped by 22 lbs, so very pleased about that, All in all so pleased to how it is all going,did I say I was pleased??? I wish it had been brought out years ago.