VICTOZA users

pete52

Victoza

Hi I am new to this sort of thing,I have just started injecting with Victoza low dose been on it for seven days never felt so ill bad stomach cramps server diarrhea unable to eat.what should I be eating can someone advice me on this.

peter lee

Re: Victoza

pete52 said:
Hi I am new to this sort of thing,I have just started injecting with Victoza low dose been on it for seven days never felt so ill bad stomach cramps server diarrhea unable to eat.what should I be eating can someone advice me on this.
hi pete, i asked my consultant to try me on victoza ,he wouldnt give it to me ,put me on byetta instead ,if its making you ill i would suggest getting in touch with your doctor & stop taking it, as you know it isnt licensed yet in england ,theres good reports of it on here ,but my doc wont reccomend it :?:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

peter lee said:
hi pete, i asked my consultant to try me on victoza ,he wouldnt give it to me ,put me on byetta instead ,if its making you ill i would suggest getting in touch with your doctor & stop taking it, as you know it isnt licensed yet in england ,theres good reports of it on here ,but my doc wont reccomend it :?:

Some clarification about Victoza and it's licence in the UK.

Victoza IS licenced here by the European Medical Agency. It is being trialled in many areas because it is a fairly new drug. It is also now listed in the BNF 59 so any GP/Consultant can check it out and prescribe it if required.

Ken.

Barkerbird

Victoza

I have been on Victoza since early February together with Metformin and Lantus insulin, and apart from the sickness problem, have at last achieved readings of between 8 and 9.5 over the last couple of days after months of figures almost twice that number.

I find that the nausea is not too much of a problem and that hopefully it will go away, but am I alone in that when I get ready to eat and I am hungry, as soon as I take a couple of mouthfuls I feel bloated and cannot finish my meal?

The other question I have which might help other people. Yesterday morning when I prepared my pen it jammed and wouldn't deliver. I couldn't understand what the problem was and even went to Boots and spoke to the Pharmacist to see if she could help, but she couldn't. Whilst thinking I would have to contact the doctor this morning as I was on my last pen, I suddenly thought about trying a different needle and hey presto, it worked. Am I really dim, or has anyone else had this problem?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Barkerbird,

Welcome to the forum, there are other Victoza users here who may be able to help you.

There is a thread on the Diabetes Medication and Drugs board on Victoza. There may be some answers there?

Catherine.

K W Boyle

I have been on Victoza for 2 months, and so far am very pleased with the way it is reducing my routine BM levels. I will receive the latest HBA1c on Friday.
Prior to commencing on the Victoza, I was taking metformin with Pioglitazone and Gliclazide 160mg all twice daily. my BM levels were between 10 and 19 with HBA1c of 9.4

The Victoza had an immediate and dramatic effect, and following a couple of mild Hypo's the Gliclazide has been reduced to 80mg twice daily. It will probably be reduced further at the next appointment. My BM's are currently between 4 and 7.8.

i have lost 6lb's in weight. The main side effect has been reduction in appetite (no bad thing here), and a little nausea for the first week.

I have seen the Diabetic nurse specialst monthly, and am able to contact her as needed. I see the consultant 3 monthly, so am happy with the monitoring thus far.

Hope this helps anyone out there who is being offered this medication. I was made aware of the possible side effect, but felt it was worth taking to reduce my risk of diabetic related complications.

frazzledcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Bills and needles
Re: VICTOZA

Hi all,
I stumbled across this site whilst looking for info on victoza. I was told i was starting Byetta so researched that. When i got to hospital i was given victoza.
I have read most of this thread and most people seem to inject in the morning, so shall i wait till tomorrow for my 1st injection?. i have not had my evening meal yet as took so long at hospital. Not worried about injecting or anything done it plenty of times before with insulin whilst pregnant.

thanks
kelly x

peter lee

cugila said:
peter lee said:

Some clarification about Victoza and it's licence in the UK.

Victoza IS licenced here by the European Medical Agency. It is being trialled in many areas because it is a fairly new drug. It is also now listed in the BNF 59 so any GP/Consultant can check it out and prescribe it if required.

Ken.
hi thanks for that, i asked my diabetes consultant & i was firmly told only he could prescribe it ,no doctors can do it ,& he deemed it not right for me ,& wouldnt recomend it, i shall talk to him when i see him again as i would like to try it ,thanks pete

PatW

Hello everyone,
Just a quick update. Started Victoza 15th January 2010 and just had result of HbA1c taken after 2 months on drug and delighted to say it is 6.2. Last November it was 9.5. I have lost 20 lbs in weight and feel really good. I have an appointment with nurse at diabetic clinic at Hospital on 8th April so will update then.
Take care all.
Pat

Lindart

Re: victoza

keithmills said:
just been for my 3 month check up wastold by the team that you will stop felling full after meals when on victoza so i can not see the point for victoza to be used as a appetite supressant can you
Keith, you stay feeling full after meals. You might eat breakfast and still be full the next morning. The food stays in your stomach and doesn't digest fast. Linda

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have been on Victoza for quite a number of weeks and I have never felt better. :D my BG levels are brilliant, best ever.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

kay957 said:
I have been on Victoza for quite a number of weeks and I have never felt better. :D my BG levels are brilliant, best ever.

I find exactly the same... levels back to how they should be and all for £2.60 per day ...money well spent I reckon! I still need a daily Actimel though :wink: :lol:

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hobbs i am the same the actimel really helps doesn't it, I am going to advise the DN when I see her about the use of it, it really helps with bloating.

frazzledcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Bills and needles

well day 1 of Victoza :D . I didn't even feel the needle and it was an 8mm normally i'll only use a 5 lol. Anyway no ill feelings but it's early days....sugars were 11.3 this morning and now 9.4 even tho i've eaten so it's doing something!!. No change in my appetite yet tho lol hopfully that will kick in very soon......have ginger and heartburn things in just incase.

Did everyone else eat less from day one?

kelly x

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

frazzledcat said:
well day 1 of Victoza :D . I didn't even feel the needle and it was an 8mm normally i'll only use a 5 lol. Anyway no ill feelings but it's early days....sugars were 11.3 this morning and now 9.4 even tho i've eaten so it's doing something!!. No change in my appetite yet tho lol hopfully that will kick in very soon......have ginger and heartburn things in just incase.

Did everyone else eat less from day one?

kelly x

I first started @ 9 am with injecting Victoza, and by 6:30pm I was sitting with my usual meal size in front of me. I was still feeling a tad bloated from lunch, but decided to give my meak a good chance. . . bad move! Within about 5 fork fulls I was struggling and decided enough was enough. I felt bloated and although I was not sick, I felt a good chuck was not far away and I stayed feeling like that until bed time. The feeling had eased a little by morning and I could manage only a very small breakfast to get my 8am pills down ( I take half a chemist's shop for various things). A very small lunch followed as I still felt bloated with very little passing through me. A few days later and the sick feeling had left me, but it took Actimel to shift the bloat.
Now weeks later, I have a 'normal' appetite and eat much less that I used to. Also thanks to a daily Actimel I keep 'regular' and no longer suffer the bloated feeling.

I wish you good luck with your Victoza and my only advice is keep with it and avoid any temptation to fill up or you will regret the outcome :wink:

frazzledcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Bills and needles

Also thanks to a daily Actimel I keep 'regular' and no longer suffer the bloated feeling.

Hobs thank you for that i shall get some tomorrow, have read through the whole thread and seems quite a few people find it helps.
I am looking forward to a good out come from this... less weighty and lower blood sugars :D

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Good advice Hobbs, like you the actimel helps so much and I feel so much better as a result, I am still waiting to see if Victoza has any other bad side effects but after many weeks nothing has happened, so I am hoping my 3 monthly checks prove the drug is doing it's thing.

keithmills

Re: victoza

Lindart said:
keithmills said:
just been for my 3 month check up wastold by the team that you will stop felling full after meals when on victoza so i can not see the point for victoza to be used as a appetite supressant can you
Keith, you stay feeling full after meals. You might eat breakfast and still be full the next morning. The food stays in your stomach and doesn't digest fast. Linda
no lindart i do not feel full after meals any more that is my point