Visibly losing weight but scales say no

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone else experienced this? My clothes are looser, my fiancé says I feel smaller when he puts his arms around me, I’ve had comments from people. But the numbers on the scale aren’t budging!

I’m not too disheartened at the moment because it’s clear that I’m losing inches. Although I would like to be able to say to my GP 'I've lose x lbs!'.

Right now i'm more interested in the phenomenon than anything. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a lot of ketogenic eaters report very similar things.. your body composition is changing so the fat and water is becoming lean body mass. This has been shown to be the case with Dexa scans and is especially true if you are working out. So the inches are in fact reflecting what is happening to your body even though the scales aren't moving.

Reactions: Ally Pally
D

Deleted Account

Talk to anyone who takes up exercise and they will say exactly the same thing.
As @bulkbiker says it is about converting your body fat to body mass.

In my mind, this feels like a healthier way than just shedding fat but I guess it depends how much fat you have to start with.

Reactions: shelley262

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
At the beginning I did see a little weight loss but my body shape changed and I quickly became aware of the gap between ribs and hip bone. I had no weight to lose but I did lose it quickly after the first couple of weeks.
For example, my trousers sat on my hips instead of the snug fit on my waist but the scales said I only lost 4lb.

Edited to add.
The noticeable loss was first on my neck, face and upper chest so although no big change in weight there was a discernible change in appearance.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s good to measure your waist, hips etc as well as weigh. You’ll often find you’re losing inches rather than pounds, and having the tape measure numbers can help keep you motivated. I’ve not lost any weight this week but I have lost an inch off my waist and half an inch off my hips :)

Reactions: Guzzler

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can now wrap my kilt around twice instead of one and a half times - big changes in body shape, and all my leggings hang in folds - when I flex my thigh muscles I can see them moving - though the skin hangs in folds too.....

Reactions: shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else experienced this? My clothes are looser, my fiancé says I feel smaller when he puts his arms around me, I’ve had comments from people. But the numbers on the scale aren’t budging!

I’m not too disheartened at the moment because it’s clear that I’m losing inches. Although I would like to be able to say to my GP 'I've lose x lbs!'.

Right now i'm more interested in the phenomenon than anything. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Hi I have lost significant amounts of weight over 6 months but have had times whilst still on keto and IF where scales have refused to budge but the measurements have significantly shifted which is good as it keeps the motivation going I’d say to every one to measure as well as weigh. Bmi can be very misleading and if you can develop enough muscle this makes you look a lot leaner too. I don’t do lots of exercise - mainly Pilates and walking plus some HIIT as suggested by dr M Moseley - but I’m convinced even this small amount has helped reduction of the cms around the middle.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can now wrap my kilt around twice instead of one and a half times - big changes in body shape, and all my leggings hang in folds - when I flex my thigh muscles I can see them moving - though the skin hangs in folds too.....
Kilts sound like a useful bit of clothing for someone whose losing weight adjustable as you go along!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is really about fats loss...or waist loss...not necessarily weight loss...

Reactions: bulkbiker

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is really about fats loss...or waist loss...not necessarily weight loss...

I agree. I would swap weight loss around the middle for fat loss around the organs any day of the week.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Me too. Started low carbing, not very low at first. My 8 week weight was only a loss of 2 kg though I have visibly shrunk. I just hope my insides look more trim!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey BB8.HG, hang in there! You have been doing so very well and you know that you are in a better place health-wise than you were even a month ago!! I would imagine that your wedding dress is going to have to be altered a bit, so keep that in mind when the scale seems to laugh back at you:) Scales can be so mean when we are working so hard.....I got a shock this morning when I stepped on the scale and saw a three pound loss when I was expecting the same ole number to appear that's been showing up for hhe past two weeks!! So, it will eventually show up! Just don't let this be an excuse to throw your arms up in the air and say "What the heck" and punish yourself by eating unhealthy stuff to vent your emotions.

And hey, your fiance can feel the difference?? That in itself should be a huge motivator:) Way to go, keep at it:) Blessings/L

Reactions: Serena51

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone, for your replies. They've really helped me get some perspective and reassured me that this is relatively normal!

I think i'll keep telling myself that, that it's about fat loss, not weight loss.

Reactions: jayney27

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey BB8.HG, hang in there! You have been doing so very well and you know that you are in a better place health-wise than you were even a month ago!! I would imagine that your wedding dress is going to have to be altered a bit, so keep that in mind when the scale seems to laugh back at you:) Scales can be so mean when we are working so hard.....I got a shock this morning when I stepped on the scale and saw a three pound loss when I was expecting the same ole number to appear that's been showing up for hhe past two weeks!! So, it will eventually show up! Just don't let this be an excuse to throw your arms up in the air and say "What the heck" and punish yourself by eating unhealthy stuff to vent your emotions.

And hey, your fiance can feel the difference?? That in itself should be a huge motivator:) Way to go, keep at it:) Blessings/L

Thanks so much for your lovely message. Just had a hellish meeting at work and that really made me smile. Especially thinking ahead to my next dress fitting on Sunday!

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This really interests me. I have lost about 8lbs over the last 8 weeks, but I am certain that I must have lose more body weight in terms of water, and has toned some of what I had as well. Jeans feel looser, feel more comfortable in clothes.

I'm debating now skipping the scales and sticking with the mirror and how I am feeling. I have an unhealthy habit of weighing myself 1-3 times a day, and that can dictate my eating and exercise for the day. Anyone else experienced this?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey JoeT1, you aren't hijacking the thread but bring up a good point....sometimes we can get number obsession and it's sometimes good to back away from them for a while - certainly not bs numbers - as it clears our head a bit to see, as you have seen, that your clothes feel more comfortable, that "inside" we feel better, lighter. Keep up the good work as I hope BB8.HG is continuing to do! Blessings/L

Reactions: JoeT1

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
images1.jpeg

Take heart and don't feel judged by those scales but do make a note of how great you feel for making these changes that you can see and feel...And measure fat loss rather than just mass loss (the naughty step/sacles)
My tip would be to avoid the scales and take some circumference measurements:
Waist (narrowest bit between ribs and hips)
Upper arm (midway down the arm)
Chest
(hips for girls = where the bottom sticks out the most).
Alternatively a photo in your swimwear or undies will tell the story too. Full length or just your face if you can't face that.

Hope you keep up your good work.

Reactions: Chocomin and JoeT1

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
change the battery, if not, buy a new scale :)