Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

Grazer

My 93 year old mum always LOVED her dripping on toast. Still does. Told me it would keep the flu away and put hairs on my chest. It kept the flu away ........

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I agree about the simple stuff but there are always complications somewhere aren't there?

I'm not anti-lowcarb, I just choose not to go down that route myself, preferring to cut my carbs down a bit.

Now I don't know anything about cholesterol as such, not the real in and outs of it all but a few things have struck me.

In my (possibly misguided) opinion, we cannot possibly compare our munching higher fat foods to hunters, cavemen or whatever they are, any more than we can compare it with the diets that our grandparents and great-grandparents ate fifty or so years ago..maybe even less.
Yes, they didn't cut the fat off their meat, ate butter etc and didn't cook with oil but surely that is offset by the fact that they were much more active than we are nowadays? It was a totally different lifestyle, much more physical for both man and women..I hope you get what I mean.

I thinik moderation in everything is the key (if only I could practice what i preach!). Eat the fat on meat by all means if you really want to (I hate fat) but is it really necessary to drown coffee in cream and fry everything in tons of butter..I don't think our ancestors did that, there wasn't the money to do it!

Seems that we have to try and strike the happy medium without taking it all to excess. Then again I'm not an expert but I tend to use what I feel is common sense. :)

:? :? :sick: :sick: :sick: :) :) :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grazer said:
My 93 year old mum always LOVED her dripping on toast. Still does. Told me it would keep the flu away and put hairs on my chest. It kept the flu away ........

Just seen that Malc, I used to be given dripping on toast as a Sunday night teatime treat and loved the dark brown meaty jelly stuff. Until I figured out what it was and refused to eat it anymore.

Awkward child I was :lol:

Grazer

ladybird64 said:
Grazer said:

Just seen that Malc, I used to be given dripping on toast as a Sunday night teatime treat and loved the dark brown meaty jelly stuff. Until I figured out what it was and refused to eat it anymore.

Awkward child I was :lol:

I didn't refuse the dripping, but I put my foot down when it came to the winkles. Remember hoiking them out with a pin, having taken the "eye" off, and dunking in salt and vinegar?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
ladybird64 said:

I was going to ask if it put hairs on your chest, but decided that would be completely inappropriate. :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ewww!!I didn't eat them (severe allergies to fish and shellfish) but my nan used to love them.

**** if we are not careful this trip down memory lane could take us into the realm of the ultimate "bleugh" food-jellied eels!!

I wonder if they are low carb and low fat? :lol:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
borofergie said:
ladybird64 said:

I was going to ask if it put hairs on your chest, but decided that would be completely inappropriate. :D

Watchit, just watchit...
mazza.gif

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband hates fat and will cut every tiny bit off meat ,but the rendered down fat off a roast he will put on his breakfast toast .I will never understand men : :roll:
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Grazer

Jellied eels! my mum's other favourite! Used to suck the flesh and jelly off the spine .. :sick: :sick:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Helenababe said:
'Back in the days when 'man' began, the hunter/gatherers were coming home with their catch for the day'.

One hunter found his wife yeilding a home made knife, and he said to her: 'What are you doing?'
And she replied: 'I 'sense' that the fat on this meat is bad for us darling, and our children, and their children will not survive, so I'm cutting it off.'

Don't think so somehow....

Helena

The main problem with that scenario as funny as your story is, is that wild 'game' has very little fat as wild animals do not lay around all day like domestic animals do, just ask any hunter, rabbit, deer, pigeon etc etc all very low fat. Its only our intensive farmed animals cows, pigs, sheep that have lots of fat, in fact if you have ever eaten wild boar you will know that it has very little fat and tastes nothing like our commercial pigs of today.

So did they eat loads of fat? Dont think so somehow... :lol:

Helenababe

I wasn't saying they ate 'loads' of fat. What I meant was they did eat fat, as they had to or they would have died. We can't survive without it, and the only fat that was available to them was animal fat.

They ate by what nature (their instincts) told them to eat, so my point is if nature told them to eat animal fat how can it be wrong? I just believe it's right in reasonable amounts, rather than the modern way of thinking where you're encouraged to cut it out altogether.

Helena :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Humans need fat to survive so yes paleo man would have had to eat fat but contrary to what some members would have everyone believe they didnt eat any more than we do today, in fact they probably ate less as it was tough work running down prey and some of it would actually bite back!, fact is that hunting uses alot of energy, sometimes as much as would be gained from eating the prey, much better to harvest shellfish from the sea shore or snails, things that dont run away :D

Have you ever watched a wildlife documentary filmed in Africa or anywhere else in the world come to think of it? Have you ever seen a fat lion? A fat wildebeest? a fat gazelle? I'm guessing you haven't because in the wild animals with lots of fat just dont exist.

Have you ever watched a documentary on aborigines or natives of South America? They rarely catch game but they know where to find roots and berries and tubers, a hunting party in S. America might catch an occasional monkey but the truth is if you shoot everything that moves in your vicinity, pretty soon no animal or bird will come into your vicinity.

Sorry if I seemed sarcastic in my reply to your post but it was the tone of your signing off "dont think so somehow" that I couldnt help responding to as I dont believe that eating extra fat is beneficial to anyone, if I thought it was safe I wouldnt bother posting about it would I, but new comers to the site may think it is forum policy unless someone tells the other more usually accepted side to the fat story :)

alliebee

There was an awful lot of fat on mammoths and bison though lol They used it to make rushlights for their caves , and render it into grain cakes , to make them last longer, ( just read jean Auels, the mammoth hunter ) :lol:

Helenababe

No I meant it. I was serious when I said 'I don't think so, and I hope my second post explained why. I never meant eating extra fat. They also ate grit. :D

Helena

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
alliebee said:
There was an awful lot of fat on mammoths and bison though lol They used it to make rushlights for their caves , and render it into grain cakes , to make them last longer, ( just read jean Auels, the mammoth hunter ) :lol:

Grain cakes, would that be carbohydrate? :lol:

And how much fat was on a mammoth and how many mammoths did paleo man kill, not much and very few would be my guess, and please dont say they drove them over cliffs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I live in south London and the nearest cliffs to me are Dover so paleo man would be proper puffed out if he had to chase a mammoth that far, that is of course if he could have scared a mammoth into running in the first place.

Seriously Alliebee if you want an in depth discussion about hunting wild animals and how much fat is on them I'm all ears?????????

Have you never watched a wildlife program on TV? Other than polar bears and sea mammals that live in very cold conditions I have honestly never seen a wild animal with an ounce of fat on it but if I'm wrong please put me right :D

Oh and dont even start on the Eskimos, who have the highest level of heart disease of any culture and one of the shortest life expectancies.

Dont take this personally but you cant kid a kidder I'm afraid :lol:

alliebee

You are right Sid, :D i was only trying to inject a smile into proceedings, :lol:

Your post made me laugh :clap:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You're wrong and right at the same time, Sid. Animals in Africa don't need extra fat - the climate is in general pretty consistent and they don't have to protect themselves against and have fat reserves for the winter - except maybe in the extreme south.

On the other hand, land animals in the northern zones do put on fat in the winter. In these latitudes, all species of deer, bison, horses, bears, and all the small animals, eat over the summer to lay down enough to survive the winter. Palaeolithic times were at the very end of the last Ice Age, so it was even more necessary for them then than it is now.

I think the main difference between the fat we eat now and the fat all our ancestors ate, Palaeolithic down to the pre-agricultural revolution times, was that it was organic and had no added chemicals. Nor were animals housed indoors all their lives and fed manufactured foods designed to gt them to maximum sale weight as quickly as possible. We are at the top of our particular food chain, and we all know what happened eg to peregrine falcons at the time of DDT and similar pesticides. What goes into their food gets into us too!

You don't need to go out of your way to eat fat. Try to eat the best fresh food you can afford, from good sources, and don't avoid the fat unless you don't like it or can't eat it for medical reasons eg liver problems.

Viv 8)

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Viv,

I am currently doing the Newcastle diet but my plan is that as soon as I have finished that I am going back onto the Atkins induction phase. I love your Atkins summary which will save me pouring through the books again! I am also amazed about the total carbs vs net carbs. I was not aware that in the UK it was done differently and I have been subtracting the fibre from the total carbs, totally underestimating the carbs. Thanks for that advice!

Let us all know how you are progressing on your Atkins diet.

Good luck :)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All starchy vegetables eg potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip

Looking to replace the hole left by traditional starchy vegetables, I recently came across turnip recommended on a low-carb website (don't ask me which - when I surf, I surf. )
Imagine my surprise to see it in your list !
So i've just googled "turnip gi value" and found the following website

http://www.montignac.com/en/search-for-a-specific-glycemic-index/

where for turnips (cooked) it says

GI 85* ... BUT ... (*These foodstuffs, even though they have high GIs, their pure sugar content (pure glucid) is quite low (approximately 5%.) Consuming these foods should not significantly affect blood sugar levels. :(

Guess I need to do some more surfing research :