Waist measurements accuracy

Saur

Hi,
I have been reading that waist measurements are more important than body weight. How will you get your waist measurements down if you cannot spot reduce certain parts of the body.

Members who have lowered their blood sugar, under control/remission, has your waist measurements gone down and what advice can you give to newbies like myself.

I have lost weight but it is only coming of the face& neck which I don’t really want or need.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bellyfat is usually just about the last to go... My arms, legs and face got slimmer, but my belly remained the same for what seemed like a long time. Then all of a sudden I had to buy new pants. Just stick with it, it'll come.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it's a gender thing but I lost weight almost entirely from around my waist when I started low carb. On the other hand I only really had fat around my waist, so maybe it was a beer thing rather than gender.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Internal visceral fat reduces before the visible subcutaneous fat, this is health wise the most important.

You can reduce the waist by continuing to do what has worked for your face and neck. If this is not quick enough for your liking, then on the food side you can work out what foods you can change that will reduce the insulin present within your body. You can do intermittent fasting maybe 18 / 6. You can do OMAD possibly.

Alternatively you can be aggressive on cardio. This is perhaps the hardest method (food is better), but it can work, at least in the short to mid-term.

I know my waist was 40 something and now is 34.

If I were starting from scratch:
  1. Less than 30 grams clean Keto
  2. Reduce then remove sweeteners
  3. Leverage protein once fat adapted. I.e. I would not add additional fat if trying to lean up, but stick with the fat is meat, cheese and the like.
  4. 18 / 6 Intermittent Fasting
  5. Walk after every meal / trekking / cycling
  6. Max 2 meals a day, no snacks
  7. Sleep 7 hours qualitatively
  8. Cardio and Powerlifting of which a third would be cardio (push to max once a week)
  9. Saunas, massages, stretching, meditation
  10. Removal of negative life aspects as much as possible
If I couldn't do the exercise component I would focus on the food quality to the n'th degree.

Saur

Internal visceral fat reduces before the visible subcutaneous fat, this is health wise the most important.

You can reduce the waist by continuing to do what has worked for your face and neck. If this is not quick enough for your liking, then on the food side you can work out what foods you can change that will reduce the insulin present within your body. You can do intermittent fasting maybe 18 / 6. You can do OMAD possibly.

Alternatively you can be aggressive on cardio. This is perhaps the hardest method (food is better), but it can work, at least in the short to mid-term.

I know my waist was 40 something and now is 34.

If I were starting from scratch:
  1. Less than 30 grams clean Keto
  2. Reduce then remove sweeteners
  3. Leverage protein once fat adapted. I.e. I would not add additional fat if trying to lean up, but stick with the fat is meat, cheese and the like.
  4. 18 / 6 Intermittent Fasting
  5. Walk after every meal / trekking / cycling
  6. Max 2 meals a day, no snacks
  7. Sleep 7 hours qualitatively
  8. Cardio and Powerlifting of which a third would be cardio (push to max once a week)
  9. Saunas, massages, stretching, meditation
  10. Removal of negative life aspects as much as possible
If I couldn't do the exercise component I would focus on the food quality to the n'th degree.
Well done on reducing your waist. Omg what hard work to get your measurement down for the waist.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree. It is said that the body will rid itself of the fat that is most harmful first, i.e the ectopic fat around the organs. Only then will the rest of the visceral fat start to shed. Height to waist ratio is a fair guide but the first noticeable fat I lost was from my collar bones. We are all different.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Up to now I have lost 19kilos in under 7 months, a little over 15% of total body mass, I still need to lose another few kilos. What I found is that I have lost weight in my face, wrists and ankles and yes my collar bones are more pronounced. I've gone down two/three dress sizes so I am progressing but there is still a fair way to go to get the ratio of height/waist measurement in proportion as I am/was carrying a lot of weight around my middle. The only exercise I do is to use an air walker as it is the easiest exercise for me as I have neck and back issues. I find IF a positive benefit, I also do not have anything to eat after 6 pm if I can help it.

Saur

Up to now I have lost 19kilos in under 7 months, a little over 15% of total body mass, I still need to lose another few kilos. What I found is that I have lost weight in my face, wrists and ankles and yes my collar bones are more pronounced. I've gone down two/three dress sizes so I am progressing but there is still a fair way to go to get the ratio of height/waist measurement in proportion as I am/was carrying a lot of weight around my middle. The only exercise I do is to use an air walker as it is the easiest exercise for me as I have neck and back issues. I find IF a positive benefit, I also do not have anything to eat after 6 pm if I can help it.
Congratulations on your weight loss. Thankyou for your advise.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done on reducing your waist. Omg what hard work to get your measurement down for the waist.
This was a by product of focusing on lower blood sugars. Many do this just with diet alone.