Waitrose coffee shop madness

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If normal cholesterol varies with individuals, what about blood sugar ..... ?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If normal cholesterol varies with individuals, what about blood sugar ..... ?

Yep, blood sugar levels vary with individuals. Some normally have base line 3s, some 4s and some 5s. They also rise with age.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not one single thing ? They have lovely salads ? What do you mean ?

There were zero lovely salads in my local shop ! lots of stuff in buns, baps, etc ... mind you neither did they have any actual salad stuff on the shelves

maybe they were having a bad day ..........:)

C

chris lowe

Thanks Chris and it originally was an Italian one. Their cappuccino isn't bad but not as good as Pret;s. One coffee I hate is from Caffe Nero which too is a UK company despite its name!
I wouldn't go in Costa if it was the only coffee house open. We had one open in the town about a year ago & despite heavy local opposition (there are already 7 coffee shops in the town & it's not a big town), basically council said they had no grounds to refuse it. Whenever I've been past it it's never very busy, even at lunch times. The cafe we go to is owned by someone who was secret shopper for Costa & would go to the shops, buy a coffee & if it wasn't up to scratch would give them additional training Her coffee is very good & very reasonable compared to other shops but if we have to use a different one we go to one down on the quay which is very nice

Reactions: Robinredbreast

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I've drank full fat blue top milk for many ,many years as I can't stand semi skimmed or skimmed milk.The other month I tried BOB (Best Of Both) milk which has a yellow top which you can get from Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys and probably more.It tastes creamy like full fat but only has 0.4g fat pet 100ml ,41calories and 4.9g of Carbs.
It makes fantastic yoghurt too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Great but again only if you accept fat in your diet as being bad for you.

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
I think I'm missing some major point here - why on earth would semi-skimmed milk increase the risk of diabetes????

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As diabetics many of us stick to food & drinks we have found work for us & more importantly which don't.
Personally I know that my home made bread & brown basmati rice are my thing along with only eating vegetables that grow above the ground. I also love a Mocha coffee.

However when I leave my place I don't expect the places I visit to be sticking to my personal diet plan. Northern European diet's do contain root veg and I'm yet to find a coffee shop that's sells Mocka coffee made with Coco rather than sugar loaded chocolate or many places serving brown rice.

The health of the country does suffer as we know but it won't change over night. All corporations and that includes supermarket cafés sell to the middle ground and many following our diet's will find many options unsuitable.

These companies will not change no matter how many people write, call or email. Profit is the only God. Maybe
people should just walk on, don't moan at the server there just following there paymasters instructions at minimum wage.

Find a local café, they have far more interest in serving what people want and remember incredibly healthy as ones diet is, it's your diet and if a friend cooks a meal with root veg or something you would not normally eat say thanks regard it as a treat and get back to your diet in your space.

That's my personal opinion, regards to all.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The corporations don't have to change much just add a few options and cater to all of their customers. If you don't complain and just accept what they are offering then of course they won't change.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My point remains. Cream in coffee is as a rule served at private dinner parties sometimes. In Europe in a bar or coffee it doesn't come with cream or milk automatically. You have to ask and you are u unlikely to have the option of cream.

peterlemer

I went into a Waitrose coffee shop today.

I ordered a coffee and asked for cream

" We don't serve cream"

Ok, then can I have full fat milk please

"We don't serve full fat milk "

"We can only serve healthy options these are - skimmed milk, semi skimmed milk and soy. We are not allowed to serve anything else with our hot drinks. "

Is it any wonder the incidence of diabetes grows by the minute !

How does skimmed or semi skimmed milk contribute to the incidence of diabetes?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm missing some major point here - why on earth would semi-skimmed milk increase the risk of diabetes????
Not the risk of diabetes but some on very low carb diets are concerned about the 2g carbs in coffee with milk rather than cream. Personally I have a dash of milk in coffee and I would rather have it black than with cream.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I read a while ago that if you have low cholesterol you can be more prone to strokes! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3299064/
Please forgive if I've missed a reply and this is a repetition.

@PansyP The first page of your link is a giveaway, and I think you should have quoted this.
The study is about haemorrhagic strokes, which makes up about 15% of all strokes.
Ischaemic strokes, make up about 85% of all strokes, and it is these ischaemic strokes that are connected with the deposition of plaque, be it in intracranial or extracranial vessels.
Without this clear understanding, a disservice is done to the learning environment prevalent on this Forum.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Stroke/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Edit: To add link

Reactions: Ledzeptt

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My point remains. Cream in coffee is as a rule served at private dinner parties sometimes. In Europe in a bar or coffee it doesn't come with cream or milk automatically. You have to ask and you are u unlikely to have the option of cream.
That I think is because of cultural differences between Europe and the UK here white coffee is for the most part the norm.