Walking / Climbing

Chunters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really lucky to live on the edge of the Lake District. In January this year I decided that instead of just looking at the fells I would set about climbing them :)

So I started on the 214 Wainwrights in February. Progress has been slow but I'm not really bothered about that - up to 15 now.

I was diagnosed Type 2 (68) in late June. Diet (LCHF) and exercise (walking / climbing) is how I managing it so far. I'm 48 and overweight but have reduced my weight / BMI since starting on the Wainwrights :)

I walk at a slow pace and take a minimum of 3.5 hours up and then down a fell. It's usually nearer 5 hours. I take frequent breaks, a lot of the walking can be described as moderate exercise but obviously some of the steeper uphill bits are a tad strenuous:eek: I use only water to hydrate on walks.

So my questions :)

How do I mange my BG before / during / after these walks? Do I eat a meal before / during / after? How much snacking (if any) should I be doing on the walks? When would be the optimum testing times to gain an insight on how this type of exercise affects my BG?

I know we are all different but an idea of where to start would be great :D

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Providing you are not insulin dependant then you really shouldn't have to worry about the exercise reducing your BG enough to cause a hypo. If exercise and LCHF is all you're using to control your diabetes then I wouldn't worry one bit. Likewise, there's no need for you to worry about hypers either, providing you're eating the right things (which you will be on LCHF).

If you were to test your BG pre-exercise, post exercise and every hour throughout then you'd get a good picture of what your BG's are doing, but I'd be surprised if you saw much of a change if any. You may see a small spike at the start as the body's natural response to exercise.

The reason diabetics tend to snack/take on extra carbs during exercise is to compensate for the increased sensitivity to their medication during exercise. Basically, when exercising - medication will typically cause BG to fall more than when not exercising.

As you are not taking medication you can feel free to snack as a non-diabetic would when doing this sort of exercise. Mainly to keep your energy levels up. Providing your liver is functioning as it should be you'll find that it'll do it's job keeping you going throughout the duration. Just make sure that if you are snacking, you're snacking on things that won't send your BG soaring!

Good luck!
Grant

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to add that you could well be fine with just water.

If one aim is to lose weight, and you are really going low carbohydrate (rather than moderate) then your body should switch to fat burning during exercise. This can be a bit hard at first whilst your body adjusts, but then you should start to see benefits. Look for "ketosis" threads.

Reactions: 2 people

Chunters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks both. May have been ovethinking it a bit :) Glad to have the reassurance I'm not doing anything 'wrong'.

A bit scary to think that between starting my challenge in February and my diagnosis in June my usual walks aimed to summit around lunchtime so to 'keep my energy levels up' I would snack on chocolate and Kendal Mint Cake :eek: Lunch at the summit would be a can of full sugar coke and a Cleator pie (famous in these parts!) To be fair I would usually share the pie with my dog but still ...