Want to switch to fiasp after 15 years on novorapid

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

Been diabetic 23 of my 30 years and my control is very good, A1C is 6.1 with help from omnipod, g6 and loop.

My time in range averages 88 percent but I regularly get days with 100 but the one thing that always let's me down is the absorption time of novorapid. I have to pre bolus 35 to 40 mins and it can be a very fine line between to early and to late resulting in a brief low while eating or a small spike after eating.

Even after a few slices of seeded brown bread with a good pre bolus I can occasionally spike up to 11 or 12 before settling back down and I just wondered in my pursuit of perfect sugar levels should I consider fiasp? It would be nice to only have to pre bolus by 10 mins or so as I don't always know what I'm going to have for dinner when I get home from work or what portion size my wife may have plated up.

I would love to hear good or bad feedback from those of you who have swapped novorapid out for fiasp.

Cheers,
James

Reactions: SueJB

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swapped from NovoSluggish to Fiasp over a year ago.
It certainly works better for me but it is not perfect.
- it’s shelf life out of the fridge is less. This is mostly a problem when travelling so no trouble during pandemic.
- the speed of Fiasp has slowed from the euphoric speed when I first switched. It is still better than NovoSluggish which I used to have to bolus. 40 minutes before eating. Actually, the biggest gain for me is when I suspend my pump for exercise. With NovoSluugish, I had to suspend more than an hour before exercise which meant there was plenty of time for the exercise to be cancelled. When I started Fiasp, I could suspend when I jumped on the bike, now I need to do it 30 minutes before.
- I find Fiasp is slow to respond to highs (over 10). On the few ocassions when I spike that high, a bolus seems to take forever to start working and then when I decide I need another correction, my blood sugars fall fast. I am still in the trial next error stage with this but mostly because I try to avoid going that high so don’t have much to trial,with.

Overall, Fiasp is not the fiasco in your thread title but it is not perfect either.
For me, I don’t feel it would be fast enough for looping.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t comment on experience as although I’m being switched over to Fiasp, I don’t actually have it yet. There are YouTube videos and blog posts about Fiasp :)

Fiasp is essentially a faster NovoRapid, as the insulin aspart stays similar but it contains an amino acid and Vitamin B12, both of which speed the Fiasp up, giving it its name.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Antje also linked my thread which is also helpful, people have given experiences of Fiasp over there after I asked for benefits and people’s experiences.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So is there anything faster?
At the moment, the only insulin that I think would work for me is human insulin that comes from a healthy pancreas.
As we all knows, a cure is only 10 years away

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment, the only insulin that I think would work for me is human insulin that comes from a healthy pancreas.
As we all knows, a cure is only 10 years away

I sort of share your sense of irony on the "10 years" thang...

I personally have no issue with Novorapid. However, "if" there was a way to get exogenous insulin directed to the pancreas or upper intestine? As opposed to where it's usually sited. In therory, it could be a little closer??
It's just something I read a number of years back...

Reactions: oldgreymare

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a go with Fiasp in my pump a few years ago and liked it initially but found it less effective after a few months which some others have found too so reverted back to Novorapid. I also had delayed highs after eating fatty foods as I guess the Fiasp was in and out of my system by the time it was still processing the fats. I still use Fiasp in pen fills as it’s good to bring down occasionally high peaks that I know a pump correction would take too long.

Reactions: oldgreymare