Wanting to try Low Carb

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’m a T1D of nearly 31 years. I just got my pump upgraded and I’m having to change my set daily due to my insulin doses.

BUT I have no idea where to start with low carb. Can anyone help?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The easiest way to start is to reduce the "complex" carbs you eat - Rice, pasta, potatoes, any grains/grain based products such a bread, pastry, cous-cous etc, most fruits (berries & rhubarb are generally ok) and replace them with above ground, green leafy veg. As a T2 I can't comment on how you would adjust your insulin dosage, but would assume that you carb count and could adjust accordingly

Reactions: Mathewted

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @sjb2610 ,

About 10 years ago I had an influx of disabling co-morbidities - diabetes complications - as a consequence of unbalanced glucose levels for 30years living with T1D.

I decided enough was truly enough and went on a journey to change my downward trajectory.

I didn't end up doing low carb but went the extra mile to a ketogenic lifestyle although currently I am eating high carbs because I'm not eating fat intentionally.

I cycle between the two because homo sapiens is adapted to feast and famine rather than seep fried fast food!

Adopting a keto lifestyle was pretty simple, I found. I just stopped eating carbohydrates. However that may not be the best strategy especially if using quite a high basal dose /rate.

I would advocate testing basal insulin needs first - although that in itself is usually done fasting while asleep and from waking. As it happens my basal dose was too high because I'd been asked to increase it time and again with high glucose levels in the mornings. I found that without carbs I came down from 18i.u. to 12i.u. quite quickly. It was made easier because of using Libre when it came out and being able to see glucose levels fall over the day while fasted. Initially then I was not in ketosis as I remember but that soon changed as I was not eating carbohydrates.

Consequently the boluses were a lot smaller. This was really marked. I kept the same ratio of 1i.u. to 10g carbs as previously.
Bear in mind that if eating more fat and lower carbs than is necessary for energy expenditure - definitely the case with keto - then it is likely that the body will spare the glucose that is stored or made by the liver for functions that really need it so resistance to insulin may increase and I see this as a natural adaptation.

Once my basal was adjusted I made sure I had enough protein and fat for health and energy. Importantly I increased my intake of non-starchy vegetables and eventually incorporated a few lower carb veggies such as swede, turnip, even the odd parsnip, carrot, or beetroot and berries. Even if just the low carb veggies like salad items and cruciferous are likely to be helpful in maintaining the vitamins and minerals necessary for health and energy albeit these can theoretically be obtained from animal products alone

On balance each person will have their own goals but it is important in moving toward these that we put diabetes health first - avoiding low glucose levels as a priority for example, maintain the nutrients we need, and continue to enjoy life so that we minimise stress and maintain good mental health.

Other really helpful sources of information are people like
Ian Lake who is a GP living with T1D, and Richard Bernstein who is a little more famous.

I know this was more about keto but progressing to low carb will have similar matters to address although I find it a little more difficult to manage low carb than 'no' carb, myself

If you have any specific questions then I'd be happy to provide my thoughts to you.

ATB

Mat

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @sjb2610 Reducing carbs is a bit more tricky for a Type 1rather than a Type 2, but many still find it beneficial in enabling them to get their Insulin doses more accurate and thus spend more time in range.
In addition to balancing your Insulin doses against a change in carb intake, if you wish to maintain your current weight, you will want to increase probably both your Fat and your Protein in order to keep your calorie intake roughly the same.

Tagging @Antje77 since I think she has some experience of T1's reducing carbs.

Reactions: Antje77

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I’m a T1D of nearly 31 years. I just got my pump upgraded and I’m having to change my set daily due to my insulin doses.

I don't know how easy it is to get a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, but there is a lot of useful information in it. Some of it is wrong - the maths is off, but it sets out the basics and costs very little - there were millions of copies sold.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I usually eat lowish carb (on MDI, not pump).
I assume you calculate your doses based on the carbs in your meals? If so, what about simply reducing the amount of rice/pasta/potatoes/bread and increasing the other stuff you eat, and adjust your doses to that?

Are you looking for ideas on how to manage your insulin when lowering the carbs or are you looking for ideas on what to eat if you eat fewer carbs?

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s more what to eat if I’m not eating carbs. I’m under investigation for possible coeliac/wheat allergies and possibly dairy allergies so I’m at a loss. Ideally if i could lose some weight, that’d be awesome

• Informative

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
More fish, more eggs more meat, nuts and seeds, avocado ,olives are all ways to get more protein and fat without touching either dairy or wheat.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
For more ideas you might look in this thread in the Low Carb sub forum:

Note that some people are very much lower carb than others!

• Agree

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are planning on going very low carb, you will then have to start bolusing for protein.
I have read the rule of thumb for insulin to protein ratio is half your insulin to carb ratio. Protein is converted to glucose slower than carbs so you will have to bolus later too.
In my experience, the insulin to protein ratio varies significantly for different types of protein. The ratio for salmon, prawns, nuts, eggs, (I do not eat meat) ... was different for every one. For me, this was far too complex with little gain so I gave up.
There are plenty of gluten free carb alternatives that are dairy free and may be easier than going low carb. I recently had a couple of weeks gluten free (long and boring reason why which no one needs to go through on here) and found it easier than I expected using polenta, rice, potatoes, corn tacos as wraps, oat cakes for biscuits, lentil pasta, ... You do have to check they are gluten free but it is possible.
Don't forget that gluten is not just in wheat. It is also in rye and barley. Oat also contain gluten but it is digested differently so doesn't usually affect people with coeliacs.