Type 1 Was type 2 now type 1

kayla1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 2 six years ago and was put on metformin and gliclazide shortly followed by insullin at night. My readings were always high no matter what I did. I have now been told that I am type 1 and they have stopped my tablets and will sort my new meds next week. I may have to inject before each meal. How does this make people feel? Does it completely rule your life? Forever is a long time !

haanstra76

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 2 six years ago and was put on metformin and gliclazide shortly followed by insullin at night. My readings were always high no matter what I did. I have now been told that I am type 1 and they have stopped my tablets and will sort my new meds next week. I may have to inject before each meal. How does this make people feel? Does it completely rule your life? Forever is a long time !
Yes somtimes for.me its very heavy always checking your bg and injecting before every meal.
But u will get used to it

Reactions: matytheman

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who has told you you are type 1? Is it an endocrinologist?

On what basis have they determined you are type 1? Have you had a cpeptide test and a gad test?

It would be pretty unusual, and poor practice, for someone to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and then left for a week without any medication.

There are 400,000 people in the uk with type 1 diabetes. I'm sure the vast majority of them just get on with life exactly as they would have done without it. One of them is, currently, prime minister.

Reactions: azure and Freema

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi I agree with catapillar regards injections I have been injecting for 44yrs 4times a day before meals I afraid it's just something you might have to do but once you get into a routine it certainly doesn't have to rule you're life the way I look at it is I rule diabetes it doesn't rule me so good luck in the future and if you need anymore help please post on here?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi @kayla1966 :)

Can you give a little more information? Are you saying that you were misdiagnosed as a Type 2? Or are you saying tablets don't work for you so you're going to have to take insulin before each meal and at night or morning?

How,did your consultant/doctor explain it?

Whatever the answer, I'm sure you'll soon get used to yoyr new regime and hopefully you'll feel better :)

Reactions: GrantGam

kayla1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your replies. I had a cpeptide and gad test quite early on (2012) as l was on an expert diabetes programme and a nurse thought I may be type 1 as I lost 3 stone in 3 months! The results came back that I was indeed type 1. I have constantly asked my Drs but they couldn't find the results until I had an appointment with a fab nurse who found them in seconds!
I'm now on 20mg of gliclazide morning and night and my solostar night.