ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I would like prepared diabetic-friendly meals.
I've lost morrisons protein bread. They no longer make it. I so miss my delicious egg on toast. White bread tastes stoggy to me now. Never mind its accumulative effect.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We still need these studies for medical student. Especially those who know no one with diabetes or aren't made aware of a diabetic in their circles and what they go through everyday. There are still huge numbers of people ignorant to diabetes. Sorry but true. Sad too eh?
But do we need studies that tell us we die 4 to 14 years sooner than average because of complications due to high blood sugars (Dying early is a known fact doctors are well aware of, I'm sure), or do we need studies that actually give GP's , nurses and endo's the tools to help us not go down that path? I hate the idea that my contributions once upon a time, funded this. They could've been put to much better use. Just makes it clear to me I was right to stop my donations and put them to work elsewhere.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Repeating research is commonly done to see whether results from a defined population are applicable to other populations e.g
  • nationality (e.g. American versus Dutch)
  • religion (e.g. results from studies done with Seventh Day Adventists)
  • job (e.g. results from studies done with nurses)
  • historical periods (e.g. the 1990s versus 2010s)
  • etc.
In addition, research may be repeated
  • to check whether the original results were just due to chance
  • to get hard numbers in order to budget for interventions
Unfortunately, I don't read Dutch but the study did say something like 'This corresponds with what is is found in the
international literature' (Dit komt overeen met wat er in de internationale literatuur wordt gevonden) which suggests that the authors might have being checking whether the situation in the Netherlands was the same as in other places in the world. I would say that it is quite important to establish that before spending money on interventions.

If it's any consolation, it looks like the research was just number-crunching published statistics which is something that is relatively cheap to do compared to research where subjects have to be recruited and monitored.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've lost morrisons protein bread. They no longer make it. I so miss my delicious egg on toast. White bread tastes stoggy to me now. Never mind its accumulative effect.

It just doesn't smell right for me, white bread is disgusting. I haven't tasted it for nearly a decade now.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
But do we need studies that tell us we die 4 to 14 years sooner than average because of complications due to high blood sugars (Dying early is a known fact doctors are well aware of, I'm sure), or do we need studies that actually give GP's , nurses and endo's the tools to help us not go down that path? I hate the idea that my contributions once upon a time, funded this. They could've been put to much better use. Just makes it clear to me I was right to stop my donations and put them to work elsewhere.
I see. I understand too. Shame the trainee medics probably will not. Modern research is normally based on old research which isn't accurate or incomplete. However research is valuable but I understand your concerns with this piece of research/data. What is also concerning is their mentors will reinforce research is factually correct and its value complied completes their degree then further training. Degrees are often based on selected papers and marked accordingly. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It just doesn't smell right for me, white bread is disgusting. I haven't tasted it for nearly a decade now.
I have about 3 slices in all since my bariatric surgery as its nutritional value isn't worth my small stomach space. High protein is the only way for me since restricting to low calorie diet through the Roux-en-y method. I need both.... and white bread is only eaten to enclose a sandwich contents when I've been offered it with no other option. Ironically a few years ago now though I was offered by an overworked A&E dept one winter.
After my recent gallbladder removal I was offered a proper meal. A bit tasteless but I was hungry. I ate protein first then had no room for mash nor dessert. :) :) :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have about 3 slices in all since my bariatric surgery as its nutritional value isn't worth my small stomach space. High protein is the only way for me since restricting to low calorie diet through the Roux-en-y method. I need both.... and white bread is only eaten to enclose a sandwich contents when I've been offered it with no other option. Ironically a few years ago now though I was offered by an overworked A&E dept one winter.
After my recent gallbladder removal I was offered a proper meal. A bit tasteless but I was hungry. I ate protein first then had no room for mash nor dessert. :) :) :)

After my first eOGTT, when I went hypo (2.3), I was offered a packed sandwich, white bread with butter, cheese,(lactose intolerant), mayo (yuk) with salad,, probably with dressing on!
After my fasting test, I was offered nowt but carbs, including weetabix, toast, another sandwich. I went to the hospital restaurant and had a marvellous fry up!
In hospital for suspected appendectomy, they had nothing for me, a nurse brought a vegan sandwich which looked disgusting, I finally got the nurse to order a salad from a local mackies.

I have often told senior staff, especially on the diabetic ward that offering carbs is counterproductive, what they were giving diabetic patients to eat and drink was unbelievable.

Have you had any symptoms akin to RH since your procedure?

Stay safe.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to go to Morrisons just got that bread

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And all the outlets say Type 1 is an autoimmune condition, and Type 2 is due to a bad lifestyle/eating habit... Yeah, us gluttons willingly did this to ourselves. Urgh. At least they got half of it right. (But again, it's like there's just two types! ***?!) My mom doesn't understand half of what I've told her about T2, but even she was livid when she saw the news ticker tape this morning. Pseudo-news like this just throws more misinformation into the world while stating the obvious, and really... I do wish they'd used that money for something that was of real use.

I agree that there’s a lot of oversimplification going on as well as stereotyping about Type 2. The stereotype doesn’t cover all the young people now getting the disease, which is a fairly recent trend. The “two types” has to do with the two major etiologies by which most people become hyperglycemic. There are other ways that they know about but only two affect most patients.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've only skimmed the thread, but wasn't there a study a few years back which suggested that a T2 on Metformin was likely to live slightly longer than a non-diabetic?

I recall twinges of guilt about being in a better position than my partner.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only skimmed the thread, but wasn't there a study a few years back which suggested that a T2 on Metformin was likely to live slightly longer than a non-diabetic?

I recall twinges of guilt about being in a better position than my partner.
i believe the jury is still out on that one. Certainly there are many studies that Metformin increases longevity in those with certain conditions such as diabetes and cardio, but the claim that it improves beyond healthy members of the population is not yet demonstrated (presumably because normal people don't get prescribed Metformin?)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34421827
However, techies in Silicon valley disagree with me
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/23/met...tion-longevity-popular-in-silicon-valley.html
/

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
After my first eOGTT, when I went hypo (2.3), I was offered a packed sandwich, white bread with butter, cheese,(lactose intolerant), mayo (yuk) with salad,, probably with dressing on!
After my fasting test, I was offered nowt but carbs, including weetabix, toast, another sandwich. I went to the hospital restaurant and had a marvellous fry up!
In hospital for suspected appendectomy, they had nothing for me, a nurse brought a vegan sandwich which looked disgusting, I finally got the nurse to order a salad from a local mackies.

I have often told senior staff, especially on the diabetic ward that offering carbs is counterproductive, what they were giving diabetic patients to eat and drink was unbelievable.

Have you had any symptoms akin to RH since your procedure?

Stay safe.
Sorry I hadn't replied. Just saw this today. I fi hv a little RH so I strengthened my low carb eating and it backed off. I hv none at all now. My gallbladder removed just over a year ago but that operation was just over 3yrs ago now. I'm just under 15st when not swollen. I had a high risk back operation just days ago and my stomach swellings seem very nonexistent but I still need IBS meds. My left leg seems alive much more instantly from my back op. Right leg is worse but it's swollen from operation. My back not my leg. I'm fascinated as to how my leg problem will resolve. I'm watching this space. Still Standing on 2 crutches. I'm optimistic. As always.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OMG @ickihun I can't describe how much I feel sorry for you!
Ok that being said, I do feel guilty for you cos I'm openly moaning about my hardships, and it has been tough but nothing compared to you. If I told you ,I know how hard it is, the wife is ok ish but her back is not getting better and the meds she is on means she can't do much.. But I haven't give up on her or me! I have to be there for her and do what ever is needed and I still have to look after my mental health and thank whoever up there that my physical health is good because of keto.
Please, don't let me beg for your determination to waver, it is too important to stop, for those kids and the rest of your tribe, to give in. Keep on trying and fighting and pushing, moaning at your doctors, don't give an inch, don't think it's okay, to stop, even using the crutches too help you get back on your feet. Don't stop, rest yes, but he positive about your future and your health, it's not about you, it's about everyone around you depending on your love, your happiness and your well being.
Enough, the weird wants a cuppa, up them stairs again, hope she doesn't want to eat yet!
sending my best wishes.
I knew you had a touch of RH, many moons ago! Ha!

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I hadn't replied. Just saw this today. I fi hv a little RH so I strengthened my low carb eating and it backed off. I hv none at all now. My gallbladder removed just over a year ago but that operation was just over 3yrs ago now. I'm just under 15st when not swollen. I had a high risk back operation just days ago and my stomach swellings seem very nonexistent but I still need IBS meds. My left leg seems alive much more instantly from my back op. Right leg is worse but it's swollen from operation. My back not my leg. I'm fascinated as to how my leg problem will resolve. I'm watching this space. Still Standing on 2 crutches. I'm optimistic. As always.

Yes, the spine is the nerve distribution center and can in some cases be responsible for serious leg problems, as you know. I know too because a spine operation fixed my leg. Good luck to you.

Reactions: ickihun and jjraak

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, the spine is the nerve distribution center and can in some cases be responsible for serious leg problems, as you know. I know too because a spine operation fixed my leg. Good luck to you.
Well left leg problem has gone. Hurray but right leg is worse. I just hope it's fixing with all the pain going on. I cannot rely on it at all. Electric shocks are still random but only when move.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning all,

While I was going through my newspaper this morning, (Het Algemeen Dagblad, https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/nieuw-...tes-hebben-lagere-levensverwachting~a531419f/ and the study itself, alas, also in Dutch https://www.diabetesfonds.nl/over-d...-diabetes-hebben-een-lagere-levensverwachting ), I found an article saying that diabetics die early, according to a new Dutch study. And it didn't matter whether it was T1 or T2, but it depended on one's complications/blood sugar control. Say it with me: "No ****, Sherlock!"

By the end of the piece, I was seeing red. They did a study to prove this?! They pumped valuable research grant money into that?! Like we didn't already know! Why not do a study how to help people gain good blood sugar control? That'd be one heck of a lot more useful than the usual doom and gloom we encounter!

...So I just wrote a piece to the paper's editors telling them about my journey as a T2, how there was practically no support for low carb in T2's in the Netherlands and I had to look abroad, how the medical professionals around me all told me this wouldn't work as I'd probably lack the spine, or it'd kill me... The editors'll likely trash my e-mail, but I just had to say something.

We die. Sure. We all do, eventually. But if there's even a chance the paper'll do something with my reply, and some other diabetic reader picks up on it and gives it a go, they might not die as soon as they otherwise would have. One can live in hope, right?

Just having a bit of a vent, sorry. But just, you know... Really?
Love,
Jo
I'm convinced like the elderly we can be written off too early.
However so far the NHS has helped me stay alive. I would hv been dead a long time ago. In fact a few times. So in my case diabetes has caused me a complication surrounding other health problems which in turn may cause my life expectancy to be 10years less than if I hadn't had diabetes.
What's developing is insulin resistance can cause obesity which causes other health problems so therefore I probably live longer if I didn't hv IR. IR is developed and unchecked in children. Both my kids have it but society installs a carb for rewards. Infant school does cake sales and up until recently had pudding for dinner, every lunchtime. Raffles and charity cake meet ups are everywhere here. If not cake it's booze.
Yes our culture encourages carb eating so sociologist would back me up and say it's present and psychologist would say it's conditioning.
Yes our society encourages early deaths.

Reactions: jjraak