Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun

I see no problem with one thread for people who are losing, and another for those who have already lost. No duplication, and people are always free to post in one, or both, as appropriate. There are many threads that may be demoralising sometimes, especially if someone is trying hard and not making the progress they would like (fasting readings, carb control, blood glucose readings, cholesterol, insulin dosing and control, weight, exercise, etc). But we can all choose which threads to read, and which to post on, and ignore the others if we wish.

I’ve often said that I find the fasting blood glucose threads exclusive, depressing and frustrating, because so many people feel excluded for having readings that are too high or too low. But the threads thrive and other people like to post on them, so they are welcome to enjoy them while i steer clear. Anyway, that is another thread discussion, and i don’t want to derail.

So, in the spirit of THIS thread,

I am currently 75 pounds and 5 dress sizes less than my heaviest, and have maintained that loss for around 17 years, with a bit of up and down leeway.

My current attitude is that if my body will allow further weight loss, I will embrace it, but am very happy where I am (still v obese) because it is worlds away from where I used to be. :D

I’m an advocate for ‘the slower the better’ because it makes it easier to nudge the ‘set point’ down, and easier to maintain the loss after it has happened.

Reactions: Juicyj and Guzzler

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
:)

Mind you I'm not on as much as usual myself. 6wks hols and prefer to keep in touch with members I private message when I have limited time.
Its no reflection of my mental health, just time and logistics with intense 5yr old.
Ive tried wearing him out in past holidays, it never works. Mr ickihun is getting just as intense, for attention.
Looking forward to going back to work after my op benefits kick in.
It will be interesting to see how they get on without me being too available.

Shame about my development it is at its worst. In my eyes. Maybe not in others.
Walking is something I've always took for granted.
Until I walk normally again weight loss will be only part of the picture.
It will be a very very long time before I'm on here maintaining. Unfortunately.
(I hear some cheering! Ha ha) ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling a bit of a fraud posting here today as when I weighed in on the ‘other’ thread yesterday, was up 0.5kg on the previous week, which was at the upper end of the scale I set last week at 59.5kg. This morning I have dropped 0.3kg so now at 59.2kg. This maintenance thing is a whole lot harder than losing the initial weight.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maintenance target 56kg to 58kg
All good this Saturday morning maintaining happily at 56.6 kg or 8 stone 13 pounds.
Good luck to all maintainers this weekend

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling a bit of a fraud posting here today as when I weighed in on the ‘other’ thread yesterday, was up 0.5kg on the previous week, which was at the upper end of the scale I set last week at 59.5kg. This morning I have dropped 0.3kg so now at 59.2kg. This maintenance thing is a whole lot harder than losing the initial weight.

I would agree with you Goonergal. I'm incredibly fortunate that my weight is pretty rock solid at 105lb +/- 2lb, but for a good many, getting the longer term in balance can be a challenge. That is why this thread is of equal calue and indded importantance as the losing weight and blood sugar monitoring threads.

Clearly bllod sugar eventually trumps weight, but for most of we T2s, there is a strong and direct link, in terms of our longer term health and wellbeing.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all
Maintenance maintained
Today 8 stone 13 pounds or 56.6 kg
Very happy that that number is not budging down or up I’m hoping that the longer my body stays at this point the more it will stay there - that’s my thinking anyway!
Hope everyone has a good maintenance weekend

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dropped 1.7kg this week, but that just took me to 0.1kg lower than my previous low at the start of June. Had been going up and down by small amounts but general trend up, so pleased to have dropped back down.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I have lost 3.5 stone but would like to lose some more - however my body has decided to 'maintain', so I feel happy in here! Having said that. I'm not going to post any stats until Monday as that's my weigh in day and I've just got back form a week's holiday with chips and clotted cream consumption.......... Naughty but nice! See you all on Monday morning :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weekend here again
It’s a one pound loss this weekend for me down to 8 stone 12 pounds but hoping it’s my mums scales as don’t want to lose any more - I’m sure it will level again.
For info OH has just tried out mums scales for checking and reported back that he’s down half a pound so probably the scales!
Good luck to all maintainers

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262

Joining you here in my in between state of trying to lose while body desperately holds on to weight! Was 0.1kg heavier than last week when I weighed yesterday, so a maintain.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it wasn’t mum’s scales I’m still 8 stone 12 pounds or 56.2kg and has registered that all week - so it’s a new low a further 1 pound or 0.5kg loss.
Think I need to look at eating a bit more next week to stabilise again. I really don’t want to carry on losing.
Hope all have a good maintenance weekend.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it wasn’t mum’s scales I’m still 8 stone 12 pounds or 56.2kg and has registered that all week - so it’s a new low a further 1 pound or 0.5kg loss.
Think I need to look at eating a bit more next week to stabilise again. I really don’t want to carry on losing.
Hope all have a good maintenance weekend.

Can we swap? I’d like to drop a little more but struggling!

Am moving to this thread for a while though following advice elsewhere to just concentrate on maintaining within a range and see what happens to my body shape.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we swap? I’d like to drop a little more but struggling!

Am moving to this thread for a while though following advice elsewhere to just concentrate on maintaining within a range and see what happens to my body shape.
Difficult this maintenance isn’t it which is why it’s good to set a low and a high to aim to stay in but It’s an imprecise science. For me the three small meals so I don’t get hungry and blow it and the ability to plan regular nutritious meals seems to be way forward as it is generally working. I feel incredibly healthy and happy on this method it generally works for me and I really can’t do fasting any more. I do however keep the 3 smallish meals in a window for health reasons though of about 8/9 hours when possible. ( not including family dos, hols etc!)
Re weight loss it may only be a further pound I’ve lost but my upper chest and neck area is becoming bonier looking and I’m not keen and that’s another topic of its own getting weight to come off the bits you want it off not the bits you don’t! I noticed on some photos taken yesterday that this was happening to me and it’s not a good look!

Reactions: Goonergal
M

Moggely

Dropped a kilo this week. 57 kilo's. Need to up the fats as the lines on my face is almost ready for laser treatment. Better that then amputated feet though. So I'm happy with the lines.:playful:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dropped a kilo this week. 57 kilo's. Need to up the fats as the lines on my face is almost ready for laser treatment. Better that then amputated feet though. So I'm happy with the lines.:playful:
Hi @Moggely its hard isn’t it to target bg but not lose too much I’d agree too gaining lines is better than losing toes!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult this maintenance isn’t it which is why it’s good to set a low and a high to aim to stay in but It’s an imprecise science. For me the three small meals so I don’t get hungry and blow it and the ability to plan regular nutritious meals seems to be way forward as it is generally working. I feel incredibly healthy and happy on this method it generally works for me and I really can’t do fasting any more. I do however keep the 3 smallish meals in a window for health reasons though of about 8/9 hours when possible. ( not including family dos, hols etc!)
Re weight loss it may only be a further pound I’ve lost but my upper chest and neck area is becoming bonier looking and I’m not keen and that’s another topic of its own getting weight to come off the bits you want it off not the bits you don’t! I noticed on some photos taken yesterday that this was happening to me and it’s not a good look!

Thanks @shelley262

I’ve only set a high for now as I’m nowhere close to underweight. Running with 2 meals a day unless I’m not hungry at lunchtime, in which case one, or conversely if very hungry in the morning will go for breakfast. Will get some tips from you in Birmingham too!

The good thing is that BG seems to be really good at the moment, which is the main thing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262

I’ve only set a high for now as I’m nowhere close to underweight. Running with 2 meals a day unless I’m not hungry at lunchtime, in which case one, or conversely if very hungry in the morning will go for breakfast. Will get some tips from you in Birmingham too!

The good thing is that BG seems to be really good at the moment, which is the main thing.

Maybe you're found your sweet spot, Goonergal. Some people I've observed reach a point where their bodies seem happy to maintain, and their bodies then seem to fight to stay in that range.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you're found your sweet spot, Goonergal. Some people I've observed reach a point where their bodies seem happy to maintain, and their bodies then seem to fight to stay in that range.

I’ve decided to work on that theory. Thanks for your advice on this.