Weight Gain and levels

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’ve noticed since starting on the basal/bolus regime in February I have put on a few pounds. Approximately 3 pounds since my pre diagnosis weight (I lost a stone after my initial diagnosis so I have effectively put that back on + 3lbs).

I am by no means overweight and my BMI is now 22 rather than 21 which is was after diagnosis.

To try to curb this slight gain I have tried to eat less and not snack. I have found that without the snacks I feel really hungry and my levels may drop to 4 or 5, so by no means hypo but it is quite low for me as I tend to run between 7-11 at the moment. I do feel as though I am going to hypo at this stage.

Anyway after this low feeling my levels decide to shoot back up to say 8 even though I haven’t eaten.

Does anyone else have this problem with either levels going up despite not eating and/or weight gain?

Any solutions?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @SB.25, From experience of being on insulin, not as health professional advice or opinion:
It can be easy to gain weight if the insulin dose is higher than is needed.
If you reduce food intake BSLs get lower as you have found.
If they get too low that triggers the release of hormones, glucagon from the pancreas gland and
adrenaline from the adrenal gland.
Why? Because part of our brain needs glucose as its fuel supply - it gets tetchy !!
These hormones cause the liver to release stored glucose and up goes the BSL.
Best to speak with your doctor or DSN about adjusting diet and insulin !!
Best Wishes !!:):):)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SB.25, From experience of being on insulin, not as health professional advice or opinion:
It can be easy to gain weight if the insulin dose is higher than is needed.
If you reduce food intake BSLs get lower as you have found.
If they get too low that triggers the release of hormones, glucagon from the pancreas gland and
adrenaline from the adrenal gland.
Why? Because part of our brain needs glucose as its fuel supply - it gets tetchy !!
These hormones cause the liver to release stored glucose and up goes the BSL.
Best to speak with your doctor or DSN about adjusting diet and insulin !!
Best Wishes !!:):):)
Thanks for the advice, I think things will be easier once I have a formal 'type' as at the moment I think the doctors are just trying to see what works!

Although the insulin has made my control much better, I'm not as keen on the weight gain! I also cannot see that I would ever come off the insulin as the c-peptide I had confirmed produced very little of my own insulin in any event.....

I seem to have read in some places that once the insulin levels are adjusted to the correct levels, then your weight can become more stable... so I'm hoping that will happen for me. I think its just noticeable to me as before my diagnosis of being diabetic I lost a lot of weight and I could eat anything without putting the weight on!

I will contact the DSN on Monday to try to see what I can do

Reactions: kitedoc