1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight gain?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by angustia, Oct 21, 2019.

1. angustia

angustia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I went on a 17-hour fasting yesterday for the first time, and walked about 20 minutes.

For lunch (11 am) I had 2/3 cup tuna salad, about 5 pork rinds and 3 celery sticks with cream cheese.
    For snacks - a handful of peanuts/almonds
    For supper I had 1 and 1/2 pork sausages and mixed greens (leaf lettuces),
    1 tbp peanutbutter, coffee
    For evening snack, 1/3 cup of home-made diabetic dessert (cream cheese, whipping cream, strawberries with Splenda)

My glucose levels were all nicely down.

But this morning, I weighed and I gained 1and 1/2 lbs compared to my weight the day before!!!
    Is this normal?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't read too much into that particular weight change. Trends over months are much more reliable.

I'm currently gaining in small amounts month by month, as I'm not doing as well as I'd like diet wise, but I can vary by as much as 7lbs day by day.

Well done on your fast by the way! For optimal effect, I'd try to drop the snacking - the reason for this is that fasting helps give your pancreas a break from producing insulin, and can help to improve insulin sensitivity so the fewer times you have an insulin response the better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #2 jpscloud, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My view is that there is no point weighing at a higher frequency then once a week.

My weight can vary wildly day to day, but over the course of weighing in the same time every week you get a good picture of the over all trend.

1.5lbs is about 650g, that is not far off one pint of water.

How much you drink, when you last went to the bathroom, the food you had for the proceeding 2 or 3 days as it moves through your system. These all change your weight hugely day to day.

You can go for a run and sweat off 1lb or more of water, but you might have only achieved a few grams of genuine weight loss.

Measure weekly at a specific time and routine to get your average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's could easily be put down to just a fluctuation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I weigh every morning after a wee ... weight fluctuates all over the place by pounds depending on multiple variants. Peanut butter, nuts and Splenda could have all lead to some water retention...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I weigh daily most of the time but only refer to the trends in the fitbit app. There's nothing wrong with weighing daily if you bear in mind it will vary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree. I’m addicted to daily weighing and recording but I average my weight every week by totalling and dividing by 7 - for me it works better than weighing once a week. It’s personal but works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook