Weight keeps going down

jwillyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A set of routine blood tests three months ago revealed that I was an asymptomatic type 2 diabetic with an Hba1c of 51.
I put myself on a low carb diet with a maximum of 150 Gms/day, usually taking about 120 Gms.
My Hba1c check 2 days ago shows a fall to 46 and I have fallen in weight from 11 stone 8lbs to 10 stone 9lbs.
Previously, my total cholesterol was 5.5, but had fallen to 3.9 two days ago, though I did change to a different statin at the time I started the low carb diet.
I did buy a glucose testing kit out of curiosity and have tested fasting and after meal values, all of them falling between 6.3 and 8.2.
I cycle up to 50 miles three times a week.
However my weight which I expected to level out, keeps going down. I appreciate that I need to take increased protein and fat to compensate for the reduced carbs, but I find too much fat unpalatable.
Have others had the same experience, and, if so, how have you handled it?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A set of routine blood tests three months ago revealed that I was an asymptomatic type 2 diabetic with an Hba1c of 51.
I put myself on a low carb diet with a maximum of 150 Gms/day, usually taking about 120 Gms.
My Hba1c check 2 days ago shows a fall to 46 and I have fallen in weight from 11 stone 8lbs to 10 stone 9lbs.
Previously, my total cholesterol was 5.5, but had fallen to 3.9 two days ago, though I did change to a different statin at the time I started the low carb diet.
I did buy a glucose testing kit out of curiosity and have tested fasting and after meal values, all of them falling between 6.3 and 8.2.
However my weight which I expected to level out, keeps going down. I appreciate that I need to take increased protein and fat to compensate for the reduced carbs, but I find too much fat unpalatable.

You may find you do not need the statins anymore which may help, If you are looking to eat more proteins instead look up Dr Ted Naimann on twitter, he has a lot of interesting stuff on it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have the same problem with weight loss. How I differ is that I do not find animal fats unpalatable so I have raised my fat intake in two ways just recently. I am now have coffee with double cream and I have switched from frying eggs in rapeseed oil to frying them in lard. This should mean that I can maintain my weight as it is because I am 'topping up' my dietary fats rather than using stored fats. Fingers crossed that you can find another way to stall your weight loss, I havn't managed to find another way apart from eating more carbs which is obviously a no no for a diet controlled T2.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't want to increase your carbs you have no choice but to increase your fats and/or protein.

Extra eggs and cheese are good choices if you like them.

jwillyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies that I guess confirm my thinking. I will have to make a more thorough search of food options - cottage cheese I hadn't thought of.
As an aside, I like many others use cronometer.com, but it does have a strong American bias. I came across 'Carb and Calorie Counter' by Chris Cheyette & Yello Balolia, ISBN 978-1-9082611-5-1, and have found it a very useful and informative adjunct to the online software. Just thought I would mention it for those who have not seen it.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What kind of fat? It can come in unexpected packages. Avocados, for example, are high in fat. So are some nuts. So are olives (or rather, the olive oil that they are pickled in, has good fat).

You might also consider simply eating more. Initially, on a low-carb (and low-fat) diet, I also used strict portion control and lost 10KG. You don't say what your BMI is. In my case, after a few months on the diet, I was down to 19.0 (borderline underweight) and at that point I abandoned the portion control and increased the fats, although not going into the "high fat" territory. My weight stabilized, and has been rock-steady for months (see signature).

Edited to add: After a few months I also resumed drinking alcohol. One or two glasses of dry red wine per day. As my doctor says, these are "empty calories" (no nutritional value apart from the calories) so perhaps helpful in gaining, or stabilizing, weight!!!

We are all different so it's hard to say whether this would work for you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@jwillyf - I hear you say you are continuing to lose weight. It would be useful to understand how quickly, as that might determine what you try to stall it.

As you are finding, stopping weight loss can be just as tricky as kick starting it. I was another of those who had to sort that bit out.

jwillyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In response to a query above, my height is 5 ft 10 ins, making a BMI OF 21.4. I am 71years old. My weight loss is over the three months of being on a low carb diet. I am already eating eggs, cheese, nuts, bacon, meat and fish, though trying to stay clear of processed meats.
I would be reluctant to increase carbs as this would presumably start movement of blood sugars and Hba1c in an upward direction, and control of both of these is required to minimise or abolish the risks of arterial, kidney and eye disease in the long term.
Some helpful suggestions on diet options above; thank you. I might start combing through my carb and cal counter book mentioned above, to find additional fat and protein foods.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the usual proviso that I cannot give medical advice, a BMI of 21.4 is fine and in my opinion, can go quite a bit lower and still be fine.

At diagnosis I had a BMI of 21.7 (almost the same as yours) and considered myself overweight even though that number is in the "normal" range. My waist was 40 inches and according to the "waist-to-hip ratio" I was, according to one intepretation of that metric, "obese"! Now, nine months later, I am at BMI 19.0 and waist size, 35 inches. Weight stable now, for several months.

Now, of course, you may have a strong reason to avoid losing any more weight. Without knowing anything more about your situation, if I were you I would not worry unless the BMI fell below 18.5, making you officially underweight.

Edited to add: In some circumstances you may be able to put on weight with resistance training to add muscle (which can also have added benefits in terms of BG control). I have not yet tried it, but exercise fiends tend to recommend it.

Last edited: