Weight loss and muscle mass?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
A question for those in the know.

Not about me but my daughter this time. (Diabetic t2 on insulin and metformin). As I mentioned somwhere else. my daughter (21) has a rare syndrome that causes a lot of difficulty with life-threatening obesity. She is at present living in a hospital for those with learning difficulties and severe behavioural problems and as she has no access to food apart from what she is given, she is doing well with weight loss. (Her condition causes insatiable hunger).

Anyway, I see her every two weeks and when I went to visit, she looked visably slimmer, particularly around her upper arms, her top was much looser than it had been before. I checked her weight with staff and it has stayed static which surprised me. She has lost over 16 kgs in 5 months but it seems to have slowed down.

Am I right in thinking this could be because she is more active now and is building a bit of muscle? I'm not sure how it works but I'm sure that I heard this is common.

Any comments appreciated. :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Glad to hear that she is doing well...

If she looks slimmer, she probably is slimmer. The measuring tape is usually a much better indicator of fat loss than the weighing scale (which as you say can be influenced by things like muscle mass and water retention).

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah thanks for that. I will take a tape measure next time and check.

She is doing well also with the diabetes which is a massive relief. Single figures anything from mid-6's to the occasional 8 or 9. Sound high but she was running constant high teens and twenties for the best part of two years..She also makes good food choices for herself..I an very proud of her progress. :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
catherinecherub said:
Hi,

Have a look at this article which explains about BMI, Waist to hip ratio, muscle mass and body fat percentage.
Might help?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/info/ob ... -weigh.php

Hi Catherine, thanks for the link.

It is interesting although quite a lot of the info doesn't apply to her, people with her condition tend to have a different body composition to normal and store fat very easily. It is useful info re the muscle mass and I shall do as Stephen mentioned and take a tape measure next time. The hospital will obviously go by their scales but I will go by the measurements instead.

Either it's good news. :)