Weight loss.

Bel_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are what you eat....I don't know who said it but as far as weight goes, I think it fits. I lost a lot of weight last year by cutting down carbs (HbA1 now 5.9), watching portion size and walking. Over the festive season I have been snowed in (still am)...haven't walked so much and ate too much...result - a weight increase of 6lb ! So for me anyway, what I eat and how much I exercise affects my weigh, and I'm sure most people are the same.

Luke Tunyich

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
A few things
chris_h said:
I have come back after reading the first page off of the link, I should never have put on weight or become diabetic, as if it is caused by sitting on soft sofas, as as a kid I always sat on the floor crossed legged or on my knees, we had polished hardwood floors and my Mother tried her hardest to get me to sit in an armchair, I even sat on a hard chair to eat at the table, even now I mainly sit on a dinning chair, as I find them more comfy, at the computer now I am sitting at the table on a wooden seated chair. Where I can I will still sit on the floor. As does my brother and he like me is diabetic and more over weight than me. If our mother would allow we used to sit on the floor at a coffee table to eat, just like the Japanese, he even lived in Japan for many years, living their life style, and still does now he is home. So sorry again I can't see it.

I’m glad that you posted such a productive comment. It gives me the opportunity to explain a little bit more before I start to talk about “How to lose weight”.

As you see, I’m convinced that the widespread of modern style of upholstered sitting furniture is the main factor that is responsible for the epidemic proportion prevalence of obesity and the epidemic proportion prevalence of type 2 diabetes. (I’m also convinced that the widespread of modern sitting furniture is responsible for a higher prevalence and rising trend of some other negative health conditions, but at the moment for simplicities sake I will leave them aside).

Before the widespread of modern style upholstered sitting furniture happened, mostly the middle aged and the elderly where affected with type 2 diabetes and to a far lesser proportion than today. This fact alone leads to the conclusion that sitting furniture has plenty to do with the type 2 diabetes and on the other hand, it shows that even in the household without modern style upholstered furniture, type two diabetes wasn’t unknown.

Nowadays, in almost every household there is some type of modern style upholstered sitting furniture. On the other hand, amongst a great percentage of households, no one is affected with obesity or type 2 diabetes. Even in household where some member is affected with diabetes, others are not.

On the other side of the coin there are the facts that;
Not all people who are affected with type 2 diabetes are obese.
Many people are just overweight but still they are affected with type 2 diabetes.
Many people are not overweight but still they are affected with type 2 diabetes.

Among obese people, type 2 diabetes is far more common than among overweight people. Among overweight people, type 2 diabetes is more common than among normal weight people.

Those facts lead to an already widespread opinion that the solution for the rising trend of type 2 diabetes is to combat obesity. On the other hand, it seems obvious that by combating obesity it will result in reversing the rising trend of diabetes but it will not entirely combat type 2 diabetes.

The fact that even in households that do not have modern styles of upholstered sitting furniture where diabetes isn’t unknown leads to the conclusion that replacing modern style furniture with traditional ones will not entirely combat diabetes. For people who are already affected with type 2 diabetes is hard to expect a cure for diabetes by simply replacing modern furniture with traditional ones.

Although in my strong opinion replacing modern style upholster sitting furniture with traditional ones would reverse the rising trend of obesity and the rising trend of many other negative health conditions, at the moment I do not advise anyone to change their sitting furniture because for people with certain health condition can produce negative consequences for health. (About that subject, I will try to explain this in one of my future posts.)

The solution for type 2 diabetes (as well as the solution for obesity) isn’t to make any overnight changes (because it can do more harm than good).

Understanding how and to which extent the sitting furniture determines the biomechanics of sitting will be an important step in the attempt to understand how the biomechanics influences the body weight, body weight distribution and health.

More about the biomechanics of sitting on traditional sitting furniture and the biomechanics of sitting on modern style upholstered furniture I will try to explain in one of my future posts and I will be thankful if you participate. There are not many people around that find it more comfortable sitting on a wooden seated chair and that is just one of the reasons why I think that your participation in this discussion will be highly valuable.

In my next few posts I will try to explain how certain types of walking and how walking on different ground effects the body weight. I’m sorry that I couldn’t reply to everyone’s comment but in a few of my future posts I will try to reply on comments relating to body fat distribution and abdominal obesity. Also, I’m sorry that in the next few days I will not be able to concentrate on this topic, and because of that my next post (that will be at the same time as my first post related to “how to lose weight”) will be posted on Saturday (16/01/2010).

I hope that my next post will be “the end of the beginning” of my attempt to explain how to lose weight.

carefixer

Izzie,

Excess abdominal fat is symptomatic of the metabolic syndrome and as it is caused by PHVO it is very common in diabetes. I posted the dietary change to make above on this thread. It works in proportion to how bad your metabolic syndrome is. I also have anecdotal evidence that it cures "cellulite"! I recommended a similar change to a young woman I met in a pub two years ago. She tells me she had cellulite big time and is now completely cured. She also looks at least a decade younger.

There may be genetic factors in cellulite but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else gets such success.

JM

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
So let me get this straight, it is PHVO in conjunction with chairs that causes obesity and diabetes. Excellent :D

There is one other question that has been perplexing me lately though, "what is the meaning of life"?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Why we gain weight! Gary Taubes Video

This will be of interest to all, it's an hour long but well worth watching :p

dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Graham

ally5555

Well i have been just observing this thread and you all know as a Dietitian working on the front line I might have a view !! so here it is !

I see many people every week and most are eating too much - I have 100s of food diaries from people of all types - they are full of huge portions, lots of cooking oil, chips, loads of crisps, chocolate , biscuits, takeaways and gallons of alcohol and no home cooked food. Many people have no idea what is a good or bad diet and all the research done by taubes and all his cronies is based on studies that actually are not really based on real people. I am probably right that some one like gary has never actually spoken to a real person - so does he know anything but it makes him money from his books!

The only way we will tackle this epedemic of overeating is to bring it to a local level and spend some money on it! I worked on a project in south Wales that did just that and it was having a real impact until the money ran out! It was an amazing project that was embedded in the local community - and had a huge impact on food, smokingh and exercise!

we need more projects like it - rant over!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ally5555 said:
The only way we will tackle this epedemic of overeating is to bring it to a local level and spend some money on it! I worked on a project in south Wales that did just that and it was having a real impact until the money ran out! It was an amazing project that was embedded in the local community - and had a huge impact on food, smokingh and exercise!

we need more projects like it - rant over!!!

Hi Ally.

I agree. Was the project funded locally or by the Welsh assembly. Seems a shame to get rid of what appears to be a good idea. I bet they are able to find funding for all the other little 'junkets' they want ?

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
The combination of taking all refined sugars out of my diet ( 4x2ltr bottles of coke 40xcups of coffee with 2 sugars) and reduced portions and a very active job alomg with metformin took me from 23 stone to 11 stone but currently 9 stone which isn't good as I was 10 stone 2 a week and a half ago guess my body wants to get down another couple of sizes (42 inch waist to 28 inch waste)

Luke or Look

"Before I put forward my research and discovery I would like to know do you share my opinion about “epidemic of baldness”.

There isn’t any writhen evidence about epidemic of baldness and to my knowledge, no one ever have pointed on epidemic of baldness. (Is baldness “taboo theme” or my observation is wrong.)"

A man for all seasons.

carefixer

PHVO it is very common in diabetes. I posted the dietary change to make above on this thread. It works in proportion to how bad your metabolic syndrome is.

Anyone remember the hemp oil cure?

Ohhhhhhh.

Sore

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
ally5555 said:
Many people have no idea what is a good or bad diet and all the research done by taubes and all his cronies is based on studies that actually are not really based on real people. I am probably right that some one like gary has never actually spoken to a real person - so does he know anything but it makes him money from his books!

Have you watched the video Ally, the lecture was to health professionals and covered some of the seven years research Gary Taubes put into his book. Take a look it may go some way to helping you with your dissertation.

This link works I've tried it.

http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Cheers
Graham

ally5555

graham - I have read most of his book ,
He may have read alot but he misses the point about fat - it does matter. Excessive amounts of saturated fat and fat in total are having huge effects on obesity ( I do not mean the fat from meat and eggs etc by the way!)
We need to be concentrating on what people are actually eating before we can make any in roads at all. Working with people I can tell you what the problem is - too much food and too little exercise - it is a recipe for disaster. Add to that generations who cannot cook.
It is not rocket science and all these theories miss the fact that people are eating too much. What is interesting that when I see people who are trying to put on weight they are often undereating!

I also agrree about the vegetable oil - we are consuming far too much and alot of it is hidden!

In a dissertation reference list I dont think quoting a video clip would be acceptable - I mark undergrad dissertations and constantly tell students not to use the internet as quotes!

The welsh assembly pulled the plug on that project at a time when they awarded it a gold star! It was having a massive impact.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ally, I think that diet is of paramount importance to me in helping to get and keep my diabetes under control, regardless of medication, insulin etc.

What I don't understand then is why after being diagnosed for 9 months that I had to request a referral to see a dietitian and since I have had an appointment for the end of this month I have heard a rumour that my PCT is planning not to re new the contracts of dietitians, perhaps an attempt to save money.

I assume that unlike retinal scans and foot checks there is no incentive for GP's to refer patients to dieticians, would this be correct?

ally5555

I think In England there are going to be alot of cutbacks amoungst the professions or they are not recruiting. Certainly the number of jobs on the NHS website is less than usual.
GPs do not get paid to refer to dietitians but they do for certain criteria - the QOF standards.
The government is sending out mixed messages but in real terms doing very little. Dietetic depts are actually at breaking point in many places - I have access to a dietitians message board and there is alot of anger about workloads etc. Students get NHS buraries but many cannot get a job at the end so do something else!

The service I provide to the 2 practices I work for is unusual and when my contarct expires next year it may not continue even tho they know that my results are much better because pts do not wait longer that a few weeks. They will this month tho as I am snowed in and have to cancel a clinic later!

Luke Tunyich

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
A few things
A few minutes ago I posted the article related to weight management under the title “Biomechanics of Walking and Weight Loss”.

Any comment about how to lose weight please post to that topic.

On the comments, addressed to me in this topic I will try to replay here in a few days.