Weight loss

benhippers661

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m 15 and, to be totally honest, on the large side. I’ve always struggled with my weight and now taking insulin seems to make me gain weight which I don’t need. I really want( and need) to loose weight but I have no motivation or knowledge how. I don’t have the time for exercising furiously every day and I’m too scared to go out for a walk or something by myself.

Sorry to bother you all with my problems but any advice will be kindly appreciated :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It's not a problem to unload. What is your weight? Why the fear? How long has this been going on?

Hell of a lot of knowledge here so we can guide you as best we can

benhippers661

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not a problem to unload. What is your weight? Why the fear? How long has this been going on?

Hell of a lot of knowledge here so we can guide you as best we can

My weight.. I think it was 18 stone or something. Horrible, I know. I’m fed up of feeling ugly and fat at school and I just don’t want to be like this forever. My confidence and self esteem has been knocked enough because of this and I wanna try and fix it :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The traditional way would be calories out needs to more than calories in and go and do some more exercise...yawn. My daughter who is the same age as you lost 8 kg by eating the same / similar way I do as a Type 2 (albeit with some extras sometimes).

In order to lose weight long term your head has to be right first. This is important so that when you need to decide at moments of temptation, your reasons for loosing weight are stronger than the temptation. I would suggest you start with educating yourself on carbs and sugar fully, so that you know for example a typical can of fizzy drink is around 8 cubes of sugar, or cereal is around 70 grams (17.5 sugar cubes) of carbs per 100. By knowing that you have to cover this amount with insulin, your choices may change, as too much circulating insulin stalls weight loss. I feel you really need to get a plan with your health care team, as although you have done a great thing in reaching out to the community, at your age you should be personally attended to; loosing weight for you might just need accurate insulin deployment. I am assuming you have taken the DAFNE course, if so you can ask for the Xpert one.

Reactions: benhippers661

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're not the first to go through this. Self esteem takes a hike for many reasons. Is the lack of exercise (walking) down to the judgement of others?

I'm way older than you, so heaps of time for you to turn it around. You're coming into an age of wonders ahead. Be prepared for what lies in your future, not dwell on the past. Walk ... a lot

You're clearly no idiot, so as we say downunder, "get on with it" and be the best you can be

benhippers661

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The traditional way would be calories out needs to more than calories in and go and do some more exercise...yawn. My daughter who is the same age as you lost 8 kg by eating the same / similar way I do as a Type 2 (albeit with some extras sometimes).

In order to lose weight long term your head has to be right first. This is important so that when you need to decide at moments of temptation, your reasons for loosing weight are stronger than the temptation. I would suggest you start with educating yourself on carbs and sugar fully, so that you know for example a typical can of fizzy drink is around 8 cubes of sugar, or cereal is around 70 grams (17.5 sugar cubes) of carbs per 100. By knowing that you have to cover this amount with insulin, your choices may change, as too much circulating insulin stalls weight loss. I feel you really need to get a plan with your health care team, as although you have done a great thing in reaching out to the community, at your age you should be personally attended to; loosing weight for you might just need accurate insulin deployment. I am assuming you have taken the DAFNE course, if so you can ask for the Xpert one.

Thanks for answering! Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what’s the DAFNE course? :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The DAFNE course is for Type 1 diabetics http://www.dafne.uk.com/. It should teach you in a nutshell how to carb count amongst other things, if you are in the UK you can get referred from your GP, I would suggest you do this without delay.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Follow 1200 calorie diet plan. Let us divide the 1200 calorie diet with three small meals of 300-350 calories each and three snacks of 50 to 100 calories each. Along with including the healthy option of protein, carbohydrates and fats contain 2 to 3 serving of vegetables (avoid potatoes, cauliflower, and cabbage as they are starchy) and 2 to 3 serving of fresh fruits.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Follow 1200 calorie diet plan. Let us divide the 1200 calorie diet with three small meals of 300-350 calories each and three snacks of 50 to 100 calories each. Along with including the healthy option of protein, carbohydrates and fats contain 2 to 3 serving of vegetables (avoid potatoes, cauliflower, and cabbage as they are starchy) and 2 to 3 serving of fresh fruits.

Cauliflower and cabbage are starchy? Are you sure?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - the usual nonsense about lower calories - it never did anything good for me - and I was put on low calorie diets again and again so I lost muscle and gained fat then had to fight to regain fitness and even the ability to run or dance again.
Low calorie just made me very very tired and feeble. I have a fresh pink complexion as a rule - low calorie diets made me either white or grey depending on the severity. I am 67 years old now so I think that I know what I'm talking about - carbohydrate makes you fat - eating less of it, not drinking sugary stuff, avoid beers, and you should find that you shrink down quite rapidly once you get going - you'll need to adjust slowly, reducing your insulin as you reduce the carbs.
Check the carb content of food - cabbage and cauliflower are not starchy vegetables by the way - the real heavy weights are bread, pasta, potato, rice, oats - breakfast cereals are usually starch and sugar combined.
I always had so much trouble losing weight, because of all the bad advice about 'healthy' carbohydrates such as fruit - full of sugars!! Once I was settled on the right amount of carbs I lost 2Kg a week - I was in my early 20s then, after trying to diet on low calorie and putting on weight - I was not popular at all.

Reactions: mally4355

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You are 15 so still growing. Don't rush into any diet plans. Just cut out obvious junk and see how you go.
Are your doctors worried?