Weight milestone passed

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year my HbA1c was 109, my blood sugar readings were in the high teens and spiking into the 20's. My diabetes was raging out of control and my head was firmly buried in the sand.

Today things are different. In the last 18 weeks I've lost 40 kilos in weight. My fasting BS reading first thing this morning was 4.5, just before dinner tonight it was 4.2 and exactly two hours after starting my (low carb) meal it was back down at 4.0. My glucose meter shows my 90 day average as 4.6.

I feel great.

I'm embarrassed to say that I still have more weight to lose but I'm not intimidated by that challenge now, I'm right on top of this thing. Next HbA1c due in a couple of weeks, bring it on!

Sincere thanks to all those on the forum who've shared their stories, experiences, knowledge and encouragement, it's been a huge help and inspiration. Good luck to everyone else currently fighting their own battle.

Reactions: Botterblom

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Last year my HbA1c was 109, my blood sugar readings were in the high teens and spiking into the 20's. My diabetes was raging out of control and my head was firmly buried in the sand.

Today things are different. In the last 18 weeks I've lost 40 kilos in weight. My fasting BS reading first thing this morning was 4.5, just before dinner tonight it was 4.2 and exactly two hours after starting my (low carb) meal it was back down at 4.0. My glucose meter shows my 90 day average as 4.6.

I feel great.

I'm embarrassed to say that I still have more weight to lose but I'm not intimidated by that challenge now, I'm right on top of this thing. Next HbA1c due in a couple of weeks, bring it on!

Sincere thanks to all those on the forum who've shared their stories, experiences, knowledge and encouragement, it's been a huge help and inspiration. Good luck to everyone else currently fighting their own battle.
That's a fabulous achievement by you, and so inspiring to me and no doubt others too. Well done :)

Reactions: Buster_ and KK123

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Fantastic! That’s like two wardrobe changes right there! Bet you feel awesome!

Reactions: Buster_

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't reply individually to all your very kind comments, I'll just say thank you collectively for everyone's good wishes and congrats on progress so far.

The mutual support, encouragement and information this forum and all its avid posters provide is literally saving lives (mine included). Bravo to you all for contributing to such a precious and vital resource!

Gill63

I feel great.

Hi Buster
What dietry changes have you made to reduce your weight.
I am getting quite confused with all different advice. NHS advising low fat and others advising low carb high fat.

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What dietry changes have you made to reduce your weight.
I am getting quite confused with all different advice.

Hi Gill. I'm low carb, moderate fat and doing time restricted eating.

I know there are many here who caution against very low calorie diets, especially for long periods, but this is working for me. I've been eating one meal a day, early evening, of about 800 - 900 calories. This is always low carb but I don't shy away from fat other than to try and keep total calories down, so I eat olive oil, eggs, fat on steak etc.

Some days, if particularly hungry, I have "lunch" early afternoon of a few cherry tomatoes and an ounce of good cheese, but other than that I avoid snacking completely.

I eat gallons of home made vegetable soup, mountains of broccoli and cauliflower, and lots of chicken, prawns, cod, salmon and eggs for protein. I also have steak, gammon or pork loin chops about once a week too.

I no longer eat any bread, rice, pasta or spuds.

I don't crave food in the way I used to and am not finding this regime difficult to stick with. My BS levels have plummeted and the weight is falling off (another 6 kilos or so since I started this thread).

I sincerely wish you the best if you're fighting to take off some weight and get BS under control, I know it's not easy. I've found something that works for me and the progress has been enormously encouraging, which has bolstered my motivation and confidence. Fingers crossed you can find something similar. Good luck!

Last edited: