Weight watchers LCHF

Tra-c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, No but I have just joined this forum and after reading what weight people have lost from doing it themselves, it seems pretty easy to follow without the WW cost.
Although it does sometimes help going to classes as it makes you try harder.

Lilliepop

Hi, No but I have just joined this forum and after reading what weight people have lost from doing it themselves, it seems pretty easy to follow without the WW cost.
Although it does sometimes help going to classes as it makes you try harder.

I'm going to look into joining WW on line but want to see what they are calling low carbs first

mikee4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No hard and fast rules but my reading says low carb can range from 15 crabs per day to 100 carbs per day.
I am eating to feed the meter. Years ago it was about 120 crabs per day, now I drop down to 60 to 70 carbs per day resulting in my a1c going from 7.6 % to 6.0%. I have had a minor drop in my weight too.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i did try slimming world but found being weigh monthly at my surgery better and don,t need to pay the fees

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Tried this before when younger, yes it gives you motivation.... but nothing like getting it into your head YOU have to do it ..winks;)

Lilliepop

Tried this before when younger, yes it gives you motivation.... but nothing like getting it into your head YOU have to do it ..winks;)
Why I was thinking of trying WW is because they have started doing low carb they haven't done that before I think it was more or less calories?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a balance between knowing that ultimately, it's me that has to make all the changes and take control, and wanting - appreciating - some support in the relentless struggle? But then not getting dependant on the support?

Reactions: 2 people

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've only just joined this forum. I've been going to WW on and off for over 30 years and spent 100's of £'s doing so.

In 2009 I lost three and half stone. In that time I put on a stone and four pounds.

I went to see my diabetic nurse and on 10 Sept she referred me to NHS Trust and I've been with a Health Trainer on a low sugar/low carb diet, and in eleven days I've lost five pounds in weight.

It's totally free, and you're still weighed and you discuss how you've coped, one possible disadvantage to some people - it's on a 1-1 basis.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Pipey, post: 951128, member: 208587"... referred me to NHS Trust and I've been with a Health Trainer ....[/QUOTE]

My GP practice used to have one nurse who worked 1-to-1 with people on their diet - and I got good results in the 6 months I saw her regularly. But she moved on and they gave that up, and of course I put all the weight back on!

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
[QUOTE="Pipey, post: 951128, member: 208587"... referred me to NHS Trust and I've been with a Health Trainer ....

My GP practice used to have one nurse who worked 1-to-1 with people on their diet - and I got good results in the 6 months I saw her regularly. But she moved on and they gave that up, and of course I put all the weight back on![/QUOTE]
I'm exactly the same, if I haven't got someone watching me I go to pot - start putting weight on again.
Ask your receptionist if there is a health trainer, they're not nurses, but have knowledge of diabetes

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP practice used to have one nurse ... ... if I haven't got someone watching me I go to pot - start putting weight on again. Ask your receptionist if there is a health trainer, they're not nurses, but have knowledge of diabetes

When I was diagnosed T2 and was talking through all sorts of related issues with the diabetic nurse, she actually volunteered to see me regularly for diet support, and I turned it down. I think I've got to a stage of accepting that in the long run, I'm going to have to do this for myself. I'm a lifelong dieter who's got less and less effective at all that, getting heavier and heavier in the process, of course. Now my aim's more realistic (for me) - a 5% loss a year. And the T2 diagnosis might just be the wake-up call that means I do make permanent change.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Googled 'Weight Watchers low carb' and found some pieces in Daily Express online. It's lower carb not low carb, firstly.

I tried one of the recipes yesterday, grilled Halloumi with cherry tomatoes on the vine. It was badly written, served half the number of people it said it would and had to be tweaked but taste-wise, was really good.

I would find points and calories on top of carbs, just too annoying, I have to say. My GP does dish out three months free Weight Watchers membership to obese patients if they want it, but I don't qualify as obese any more, so I wouldn't get it.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your wanting motivation .. why not start a blog of your weight loss and eating/activity here in the blog section of the forums.. Then as we read your progress it can be a source of information to anyone new wanting to loose weight and will keep you motivated ..knowing we are all reading about your amazing progress and weight loss in your blog ... no pressure :)

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I've been to see my Health Trainer this morning and I've lost 8.5 lbs, and I am starting my 7th week today. My blood sugars have gone down from 7.7 to 6.3 this morning. I'm a happy little bunny.

Jacqui_Jay

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mis-use of the English language, road rage, people who think the world owes them a living
As part of a programme to combat my fatty liver, my doctor's surgery sponsored me for 12 weeks at Slimming World. I filled in an initial form, stating i was diabetic and also on a LCHF way of eating. The woman running the evening rattled through a booklet of information with myself and three others, before going off and participating in the SW 'Christmas Party' where members had brought mince pies, sausage rolls etc. No-one ever spoke to me again and at the end of the evening, when my information was 'processed' into the computer, the only details entered were my name, the rest of the form wasn't even read.

I posted a message on the Facebook Page, asking if anyone else was LCHF and how did they reconcile it with the SW information. I was trying to follow their regime within my own framework. The message was removed. I telephone the organiser, who denied removing it and said I shouldn't have any trouble just following SW menus, a lot of which were ready meals from Iceland and Kingsmill bread, which were both promoted very heavily during the evening. I told her I was diabetic and she said, 'Oh, are you. I should have given you another booklet.

At this point, I told her I wouldn't be coming back.
I have started going to a weekly exercise class and I can get weighed there.
After approximately 5/6 weeks following the advice on this forum, I have lost 11 lbs in weight and have not felt as well as this for a long time.

I can't take my BS readings yet, as I bought some strips from Amazon and there was no chip in the box. I have emailed asking for a universal one but had no answer, so don't know what to do as I have paid the money for the strips but can't use them with my Accucheck meter.

Overall, feeling very positive.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I Googled 'Weight Watchers low carb' and found some pieces in Daily Express online. It's lower carb not low carb, firstly.

I tried one of the recipes yesterday, grilled Halloumi with cherry tomatoes on the vine. It was badly written, served half the number of people it said it would and had to be tweaked but taste-wise, was really good.

I would find points and calories on top of carbs, just too annoying, I have to say. My GP does dish out three months free Weight Watchers membership to obese patients if they want it, but I don't qualify as obese any more, so I wouldn't get it.

I was with Weight Watchers for years on their old points system where you concentrated on weighing Sat Fats and sugar and I lost 3.5 stone, then they re-evaluated their nutritional system and now on their scales you have to enter per 100g - Protein, Carbs, Fat and Fibre which gives you your WW points value. but for some reason couldn't lose any weight.

The only problem is there is a lot of sugar in WW products, but low in fat.

For the past 6 weeks of 12 I've been with an NHS Health Trainer and have lost 8 lbs and my sugar level has gone down from 7.7 to 6.3 on a low fat low sugar diet.