Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i saw the diabetic nurse 2 weeks ago and asked me to get weighed today
in the 2 weeks i,ve put on 3 kilos, i don,t understand how as i,m not eaten any cakes, biscuits or sweets. i have been eating lots off fruit and still drinking loads as still thirsty

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reduce the fruit intake........
Reduce other carbs too, ally1. The 'good carbs' such as brown rice, wholemeal bread, pasta jacket potatoes etc cause problems for many of us T2s.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit and fruit juice send my blood glucose sky high.

If you are still thirsty and drinking lots, then your blood glucose is still too high.

What are you drinking? Is it soda, fruit juice or stuff like lattes? Because none of those help... Water, black coffee, herb teas, green tea, sugar free are all good.
(although sugar free sodas aren't ideal because your body stays expecting sweet things)

If you want fruit, the best ones are berries, in small portions.

Ally, have you thought of going low carb?
http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ally, I think I asked you once before to give us an idea of what you eat in a normal day, breakfast, lunch, evening meal and snacks, plus drinks. If you give us a list we will be able to help and may be able to put you on the right track.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i drink alot off diet coke and tea
breakfast toast
lunch cheese sandwich
tea cooked meal with no potatoes

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to drink a lot of diet coke and found that whilst there were no calories, it acted like a carb and kept my blood sugars higher. It also made me hungrier. I drink water instead nowadays. I'm afraid I wouldn't lose weight on your menu either, although some non-diabetics would. I have cut out the bread altogether, although some people have switched breads to a lower carb one....maybe someone else can advise you on this. I found that when I was cutting down on carbs if I substituted them with protein and fats I was less hungry. I have bacon for breakfast sometimes or maybe leftover veg fried.

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @zand that bread at two meals would be too much for me.

In fact one slice of ordinary brown bread will shoot my BG up from 5.5 to over 9. Heaven knows what two or three slices would do...

Could you give up the bread at breakfast? Swap it for eggs, or bacon, or both?
One of my favourite breakfasts is sliced ham and cheese, and a lot of people around here who have Greek natural yoghurt, with a few berries.

Since your BG has been high for a while I would make your diet changes a meal at a time, to allow your body to adjust. If you changed your breakfast today, or tomorrow, and eat that way for 4 or 5 days, then after the weekend, swap your sandwiches at lunch for a big salad.

I think you might feel much better.

Good luck!

Reactions: 11 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ally, I agree with Brunneria, if you are so thirsty your bg is probably high, do you test before and 2 hours after eating? Some fruit is very high in carbohydrates, if I ate your menu my bg would be sky high. I know it sounds strange, but I started out on a Low carb/high fat LCHF diet (advice taken from members on this forum) and lost 2 stone in 3 months, I never feel hungry and have much more energy and feel much better in myself.

The lower carb bread that Zand mentioned is Livlife which is half the carbs of normal bread and you can buy it in Waitrose or Morrisons. Some people also eat Burgen Bread which is about 11g carbs per slice. Also, it might be worth investing in a book called Carbs & Cals, which you can buy from Amazon, it is the UK No 1 Best selling book for Diabetes and shows you portion size with carbs, cals, protein, fat fibre and saturated fats, I have found this really useful.

The other thing that has helped me tremendously is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ I keep a food diary on there and it works out everything for you, it is totally free you just log on with your e-mail address.

Hope this has helped.

Marilyn x

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i drink alot off diet coke and tea
breakfast toast
lunch cheese sandwich
tea cooked meal with no potatoes

I agree with the others. I would start by changing breakfasts as suggested. Then look at the type of bread you are eating, and the number of slices. I love my bread but can't manage more than one slice. Two slices makes my blood sugars rise far too much. I personally eat Hovis 7 seed wholemeal. Packed with seeds and fibre, but at 14 carbs and 109 calories a slice has to be kept to a single slice, or half a slice.
The "no potatoes" is excellent, but what are your other veggies and are your portions too large?

Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A further thought - is your breakfast toast dry, lightly buttered, dripping with butter, covered with some kind of spread?
Also, how many slices?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i have 2 slices at breakfast and 2 slices at lunch time
thank you for replying

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Ditch the bread completely. Once you are on track there is a possibility you might be able to have one slice, but for now I would ditch it altogether. There are a lot of alternatives for breakfast and lunch.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aside from the carbs, 4 slices of bread is quite a whack of calories, especially when filled with cheese or buttered. It is worth bearing in mind that no matter what diet you embark on, some brake on food intake is necessary, though many find on the LCHF diet that this happens naturally with a return to more " normal" eating levels without the drive to eat that carbs raises in many of us. If you can't drop it all at once, then consider an open sandwich at lunch with just one slice of something like a Burgen bread piled high with salad leaves and the like, then some ham or tuna and a drizzle of homemade french dressing. Breakfast I would try and ditch bread altogether and have bacon and a poached egg if time allows, or some berries and greek yogurt. It is worth keeping an eye on the fats you add to food imho- although the LCHF advocates no restriction on the likes of cream and butter etc, they are highly calorific and if you have cholesterol issues other LC proponents suggest scaling back on these and using olive oil and not adding the likes of coconut oil and butter to coffee as in the bulletproof coffee. Similarly, fruit is not that healthy and is best thought of as an occasional treat , chosen with an eye on the meter readings. The book Carbs and Cals as mentioned is very useful for seeing what you get for your carb dollar and calorie buck. Although the five a day and now 7 a day advice includes fruit, a friend of mine knew someone involved in its formulation and actually it should be nearer 10 a day, but only one or two should be fruit, but this was deemed unlikely to be taken on board. I would suggest that you get that book or the app then get used to filling plate with a variety of low carb veg or salad alongside whatever main dish you have and drinking plenty of water as this helps weight loss and often we are thirsty and not hungry.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest tracking your food (and drinks) intake. It will begin to show you why you may not be losing weight, or gaining it, in your case. Do I recall you saying you use an iPad, or other tablet? myfitnesspal is available as an app (free) , and once you have been using it a few days, it takes moments to keep it up to date, on a daily basis. By truthfully entering your foods, the app records them, but also adds in the carb and calorie details for each item. (You do need to sense check the data, as some of it is added by users who may be guessing.). When you have a few days data, it will probably become clear where changes need to happen, if you are serious about improving your general health, and diabetes in particular. As @Mazzer suggests, it is also available on the PC, and smart phones.

I'm not suggesting you adopt the Newcastle Diet, unless you honestly felt it was right for you and you could get support from your GP, but Professor Taylor's web pages give great information on how the diet works, and alternative ways of achieving similar results - even "just" reducing calories. I say just reducing calories, as opposed to meal replacement shakes, which patently aren't for everyone. Personally, I thought this brief paper here provides a great summary, including the recommendations for on-going eating, after weight loss: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2study.pdf

That the paper suggests that after losing weight it is important to long term eat around 2/3rd of the amount you used to eat.

The site I've taken that paper from is here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i don,t have an ipad ortablet
thank you for replying
i do like cereals but they contain sugar so thats a no no
i,m limited vto how much i can spend on food a week

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need an Ipad or tablet. Your PC or laptop will do the same job. I use my PC for my fitness pal and I also have the Carbs & Cals book. Didn't you say you were going to order that from Amazon on another thread?

Try a plain Greek yogurt with a few fresh berries thrown in for breakfast. It works for me. Some people also add a few seeds.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i don,t have a debit or credit card so can,t buy anything from the internet
my mum won,t use her card to order for me as shes scared