went swimming.

roxy44

In my quest for the body beautiful :wink:

i went wsimming today, 1st time in years!! infact i really forgot how to swim at 1st!!
but i really worked my body, no doubt it will tell me tomorrow :roll:
i had 1 slice of weight watchers bread with 1 triangle of low fat cheese on before i went, swam for an hour came back, got a shower etc tested my BS and it was 8!!
i'm new to this and wondered if the excercise would have lowered it?

then again my body might have gone into shock :lol:

going again on thursday if i can walk after today xx

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Roxy exercise will help to reduce your insulin resistance but not all exercise will lower your bg levels, gentle exercise like walking will almost always reduce my bg levels but strenuous muscle aching exercise (not that I do any :) ) will sometimes cause your liver to dump glucose for your overworked muscles to use which can raise your bg levels.

I have always been told that swimming is a great way to exercise but due to respiratory problems I tend to avoid damp wet places otherwise I would definitely go swimming as I love it.

roxy44

thanx for the reply sid,

well i ant been for that long i forgot how to swim, ...but i really need to get excercising, i have been a bit of a couch potatoe these past few years since i lost my mum,

but i am determined to sort myself out, it was nice cos its a private pool just round the corner, so we had it to ourselfs with my sister and her hubby , will start walking too x

Unicornz

That sounds great, I love swimming! Think I should probably go sometime as well but it always seems so busy at our pool :|

Don't forget that exercise could lower your blood glucose levels for up to 24 hours afterwards!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Wow I need to find a pool that quiet! I used to swim a minimum of half hour every day (that was about 4 stone ago) I was a qualified swimming teacher/lifeguard. Nowadays my swimming is mainly in the sea as I don't like people getting in the way!

roxy44

oooooh 24 hours after, thats something to look at then thank you xx

Gappy it was great ...lovely warm water and only 4 of us in it, just been to my slimming world class and lost 1lb :roll:

a bit disapointed but i am doing all i can, i will be going swimming twice a week from now on

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Congratulations, you may say it's only a pound (I lost 2lb this week ner ner!) but I always say what's important is not how fast you lose it it's how long it stays off! They say swimming gives you the 5 S's-Speed, Strength, Stamina, Suppleness & 1 other I forget for now but we can have fun making up our own extra S I'll go for Slapdash as I forgot the 5th S before posting!

Katstodian

Hey Roxy :)
I'm newly diagnosed and I've started swimming as well on a semi-regular basis.

A little tip I can give is - your meal before swimming sounds awfully light? I usually go after breakfast. I know, being a student and it being revision time is amazing for having time for that kind of thing when you want to, so it might be hard if you're on a working schedule. Anyway. I usually go about 2-3 hours after a big breakfast (often including oats and some kind of fruit), so that my lunch should be within 1-1½ hour after being done with my swim. Reason I do this is mainly that meals make soooo tired that I need exercise to give me energy, but I've found that eating lunch after a good 40-60 minute swim doesn't do so.

I then usually follow up with a carrot or an apple after the actual swim. I don't really know if I should do this. But it makes me feel quite good.

Anyway! What I wanted to say is, that maybe you shouldn't necessarily be swimming for the BG levels, but for the other benefits? I've been doing so for six months - first once a week, then twice, aiming for three come August. And I've not only noticed weightloss (11lbs!), but also that my back is straighter and my stamina has increased etc. Swimming's really great for that. :)

About the BG levels, though, if you do find out, please let me know :p I'm waiting for a measuring device to arrive via mail, so I'm going to start testing after my swims for a few weeks. I can keep you updated if you want?