We're In A New Age Of Obesity - George Monbiot

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Interesting, but I don't think much attention was given to the problem before 1976. In my class of 16 boys in Hove in 1967, one quarter would be labelled obese today. Admittedly one of them was the son of an Italian ice cream parlour proprietor in Brighton!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We are nasty, we judge. We should stop doing it. Snobbery is the right word to use, if one has to stamp on the head of someone else to make oneself feel superior then that speaks of character flaws.

Reactions: Debandez and Indy51

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of low income families are obese because they can only afford the "cheap" food such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc. When food banks give out food, these items are the main part of the parcel.

Reactions: MargaretR

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of low income families are obese because they can only afford the "cheap" food such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc. When food banks give out food, these items are the main part of the parcel.
Working at a food bank, we did have conversations behind the scenes about this, but we literally have to just get calories into people, to fill them up and keep them going. And it has to be foods which are easy to cook (some have no access to a cooker or fridge even, let alone pots, pans and utensils for preparing stuff) and keep a long time. its so sad. Plus the cost of cooking from scratch in terms of not being able to afford electricity.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Working at a food bank, we did have conversations behind the scenes about this, but we literally have to just get calories into people, to fill them up and keep them going. And it has to be foods which are easy to cook (some have no access to a cooker or fridge even, let alone pots, pans and utensils for preparing stuff) and keep a long time. its so sad. Plus the cost of cooking from scratch in terms of not being able to afford electricity.
Very true @lucylocket61 I'm a trustee and volunteer for a local charity that provides food parcels run a food kitchen and we also supply other food banks in our area. We always try and give what we can to help people but as you say some don't even have the basics. At least they are getting some food. :)