What’s your inspiration?

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Apart from all the amazing people here who inspire me daily, my main inspiration (other than wanting to live long, with all my limbs and both eyes intact) is my avatar.

If you look closely at the round rainbow ball by my name on the left of this post, you will see little lines at the top, both sides and the bottom. This is a drawing of me done by my 4 year old grandson. Hair, arms and legs represented by lines.

So my goal is that the next drawing he does of me is more pencil-like, and waaaaay less rotund! That inspires me every time I reach for something I know won’t help me achieve that goal.

What’s your inspiration?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a lovely thread, and what a perfect inspiration!
Less rotund is good in real life, but if pictured by a 4 year old who loves you, being rotund can be a very good thing, more to love. :joyful:
And if he feels you are this colourful, you must be an amazing person to him!

This is in the T2 sub forum so I hope you don't mind replies from people with a different type of diabetes.
My inspiration is more boring than yours.
It's a mix of scientific curiousity and avoiding the bad mood that comes with high and low numbers for me. I actually like working out what works for me, and I enjoy sometimes adding frivolous challenges to the mix, like ice swimming or testing out specific foods. I really dislike rollercoaster days with my BG so doing what I can to avoid it only seems sensible.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Family obviously.
I have quite a large close family where there has been too much bad health and it's effects.
I also, because I was so unwell determined to get healthy.
And I want to be around for my great grandkids, when and if they arrive!
I might have a chance with 8 grandkids!!!!
This was before my wife became disabled and now I'm her carer. And I know I have to be as healthy as possible to be able to do most things.
I also believe that I'm a bit pig headed. Because my illness was very bad, my hypo hell took a heavy toll on me.
So once I've got my life back (again and again) I'm not going to give up easily. I've battled all my life and it hasn't been easy at all. I'm going through the mill with mental health issues. It won't beat me! I'm hanging around as long as I can, Heaven can wait! (If it exists!)

Good thread.

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mines my children. Im 38. I have 3 children under 12. 1 with autism and other learning difficulties. I was told before Xmas I have a small bleed in my eye (small enough to reverse should I get my act together). That broke me. The thought of not seeing my children grow up and have their own families/ marry/ see grandchildren (should they wish to do any of these things) broke me. I've struggled with very high bloods for a long time now, and I've also had terrible mood swings alongside side these. I don't have any mental health issues myself, but I didn't like the person I became when I'm in those "moods" and noticed its the high bloods that aided keeping mood swings there. I'd like to keep my eyesight and limbs, etc, for as long as I can. I'm hoping it's not too late. I've had a few years since diagnosis now, and I've done nothing but pretend I don't have it at all. My last hba1c was 124, risen from 119 previous. I'm hoping it's down much more for next one. Fingers crossed.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine's my eyesight.
Due to other, non-diabetes related, problems I'm already very poorly sighted in one eye. I don't want to lose what little sight I have left in the other one.
Just think of the typos I wouldn't see then!
And to any of who who read this please remind me of this if you see me faltering at all.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Antje77 your reply had me welling up! Thank you!
Actually I wasn’t sure where best to put the post, as obviously it is for all diabetic types, if Mods wish to move it to a more appropriate location, feel free.

@Lamont D, @Donna85 and @MrsA2, thank you for sharing your stories. I am loving learning more about you.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
oh wow @aylalake that is a beautiful portrait by your grandson :happy:

My inspiration comes from other member's achievements and success stories. I’m afraid I’m like @Antje77 and my mood is often governed by my BG numbers and getting cross with myself if I eat something I should’t
Thank you - my grandson is awesome!

I must admit I hadn’t thought about my mood in relation to my BG. I will start noting that and see if there is a correlation. More inspiration!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My inspiration is to be able to do what I want and not let diabetes take anything away from me. High BG makes me lethargic and unable to cycle, climb, run, hike, sleep, ... On the other hand, too low and I cannot drive or exercise or work and makes me too emotional.
Whilst these are all about immediate effects of highs and lows, it minimises the risk of long term complications.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am nothing like as lovely as you lot.

My inspiration is pure rage. I am furious at the poor treatment I had in hospital (yes I have had excellent treatment at other times - this is purely diabetes related) the incompetence and hectoring of GP surgery staff, the ignorance of diabetes poured out in the media, the constant fighting my corner (dammit if I say I can't eat that it means I can't eat that) with every Tom Richard and Harry who thinks they know better, and no credit whatever for what I've done ("you've been on diet drugs haven't you?") or even curiosity - I haven't seen my GP in person since first diagnosis, and Nursie prefers to deal with me over the 'phone. No medical person has said "well done" or even "what have you done?".

I am evolved. I never show my rage. I am always acting diplomatically and reasonably, though goodness knows the temptation sometimes - but what keeps me on the straight and narrow is a well-known gesture to all those who have gripped my garters since diagnosis. I will NOT give them the prestige of ever being proven right.

The other huge incentive is all the people here. You have been more help than you know. Really. I am so glad I eventually joined, and hope I can help as much as I have been helped.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My inspiration is my son, he’s an adult with autism but won’t be capable of independent living, I’m his full time carer so I need to be here until I’m 130 years old so he will be safe and looked after for as long as possible. Simple as that really

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don’t read this post if you are eating!

My inspiration is the smell of gangrene! Once smelt never forgotten! :hungover:
I have had the unfortunate experience of smelling it too many times during my nursing years. Gangrenous feet in patients with uncontrolled diabetes, it starts with a small blister or insect bite and ends up with an amputation :wideyed:
I am determined to keep my limbs, kidneys and eyesight .

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like some others on here my inspiration/motivation is avoiding a lifetime of continually increasing medication and I want to keep my eyesight, all limbs/feet intact, working kidneys etc. We have just bought a motorhome and want to go off exploring europe and beyond for months at a time so that would be far more difficult if I was on medication etc.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
My inspiration is life itself , we aren’t on this earth for very long , and I intend to make the most of every minute , and I’m not going to let diabetes stop me living my life to the full, I know as well as anyone what diabetes can do , but I’m still breathing , diabetes isnt the end of the world for me , it’s just another hurdle in the way of life and it’s a hurdle I will jump over , even with just one leg

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thread @aylalake thank you.

I really, really thought about my answer to this. I even meditated on it because I want to be honest. It would be easy to say my children or caring for my elderly parents. It would also be honest to say I'm somewhat scared of illness even calling myself a hypochondriac.Equally I'm 57 and really want to work for another ten years in the hope of being able to afford retirement.
While all of the above is relevant I think true inspiration is the fact that I don't do failure very well. I'm the person that took 100 driving lessons to be sure they would pass first time. If you tell me its possible to bring these numbers down then I'm all about the challenge (I'm aware that doesn't portray me in the best light but its honest)

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a wonderful thread. I have eye issues. I have Fuchs disease (FECD) so I am waiting for cornea transplants. I also have cataracts! They are being done this March so fingers crossed having my cataracts done will help with colours. I am an artist, a painter to be exact, so my vision loss is a thing as I can't see properly to paint. So Ive had to adapt. My inspiration comes from children's paintings. I love the simplicity of their minds eye. Big bold colours and images. My partner and I have pictures up on our wall from when our daughter was little. They are wonderful. I look at them and see how bold and colourful they are. And striking in their simplicity. Big and bold, simple, thought provoking and inspiring.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My inspiration is life itself , we aren’t on this earth for very long , and I intend to make the most of every minute , and I’m not going to let diabetes stop me living my life to the full, I know as well as anyone what diabetes can do , but I’m still breathing , diabetes isnt the end of the world for me , it’s just another hurdle in the way of life and it’s a hurdle I will jump over , even with just one leg
My inspiration is life itself also. I totally agree with you @Ushthetaff. I also thought long and hard about my answer @Margarettt and on returning to the thread found that @Ushthetaff was inspired same way as me. Maybe it's a strong survival instinct or an unrelenting optimistic spirit but I love to look out my window on creation and witness the Good out there.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All these heartfelt inspirations are so positive and thought provoking. Thank you to everyone for opening up and sharing.