What a restricted carb diet can do long term

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I've just passed the second anniversary since diagnosis and I have followed a restricted carb regime for the last two years. I was diagnosed full T2 with an hBA1c of 11.3% (exactly 100 in new money). My initial BG readings were in the 20's. For the first 6 months I was pretty strict and stuck to around 50g / day then I have gradually relaxed a bit and today I average around 100g to 120g / day.

This time last year a group of us did self administered OGTT tests to see the extent of our diabetes. We had several T2's, several pre-diabetics, one mad T1, another T1 on a pump and as a control we had a non diabetic do the OGTT test as a comparison. Each of us tested at 15 minute intervals (or at intervals people could afford to use their precious strips) over the two hours.

For an OGTT test to be valid you HAVE to eat in excess of 150g / day for three days prior to the test. You then can simply drink 394ml of standard lucazade as that will provide exactly the 75g of glucose that an official OGTT test does.

Anyway ...

This time last year I did the test and although I spiked well into the high teens I did in fact pass the OGTT test by finishing up at 7.6 after 2 hours.

This year I have just repeated the test and have seen a great improvement in my insulin response. I passed the test easily ending up at 5.3 after 2 hours and although the shape of my graph is still nothing like a non diabetics it has improved greatly.

My weight has remained pretty constant over the last year although I've actually put a few pounds back on and am heavier than this time last year. My exercise regime remains the same as it has been for years. I still take the same 1500mg of Metformin a day I have since first diagnosed.

What has led to this remarkable improvement?

I simply put it down to following a restricted carb regime and in simple terms just believe that it has given my pancreas a well deserved rest.

Will I up my carbs some more?

Maybe a bit but I tend to base my long term carb intake on what my FBG's are doing so if I see them begin to rise I take that as the hint that I should cut down on the carbs a bit.

My graph is below. My OGTT for 2013 is the orange line and for 2014 is the blue line.

ogtt.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Wow! A definite improvement with a BIG 7.4 mmol drop @75 minutes...you must be chuffed with the figures from 2014's N=1 experiment...I'd do one too for clarity but my insurance underwriters went beserk at the thought after last years readings!:woot:

Reactions: 4 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes well chuffed with that.

Just need to lose the extra pounds and fat all that insulin I now have swishing around is making but that can be sorted by tweaking the diet here and there.

It's been a pretty successful year db wise. My hBa1c has remained pretty flat despite the small increase in carbs and I have no signs of progression thank God.

I am under no illusion that if I tried to up the carbs too much I'd just end up back where I was two years ago though

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
What a fantastic post. It just shows what absolute dedication can do and how it's entirely possible to regulate and monitor to find out exactly what's going on. Congratulations!

Reactions: 2 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on the improvement. I doubt I'd pass an OGTT test, I reckon the time before diagnosis when I'd had the symptoms for a while and the years of following a healthy diet:facepalm: after diagnosis will have taken it's toll on the old beta cells

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
This time last year a group of us did self administered OGTT tests to see the extent of our diabetes. We had several T2's, several pre-diabetics, one mad T1, another T1 on a pump and as a control we had a non diabetic do the OGTT test as a comparison. Each of us tested at 15 minute intervals (or at intervals people could afford to use their precious strips) over the two hours.

For an OGTT test to be valid you HAVE to eat in excess of 150g / day for three days prior to the test. You then can simply drink 394ml of standard lucazade as that will provide exactly the 75g of glucose that an official OGTT test does.
View attachment 2910

I find that very interesting. I know when I had mine done, I had to move around as little as possible for the 2 hours and am wondering if you did the same? Reading your results, I am wondering if eating that much carb over 3 days had much effect on you and if not on you, what about the people who did the test with you?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done on the improvement. I doubt I'd pass an OGTT test, I reckon the time before diagnosis when I'd had the symptoms for a while and the years of following a healthy diet:facepalm: after diagnosis will have taken it's toll on the old beta cells

Yes the time you run way to high is critical. I went undiagnosed for around 9 months. Interestingly although I think I was the only T2 last year who passed then test by being under 7.8 (most ended up somewhere in the glucose impaired range) I was the most diabetic in terms of how long over the two hours my levels where really high. It kind of showed I had lost my first phase response but my second phase that kicks at around an hour was good and strong. This year seems to show that I may have regained some first phase response although by no means enough to give me a graph of the average non diabetic.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I find that very interesting. I know when I had mine done, I had to move around as little as possible for the 2 hours and am wondering if you did the same? Reading your results, I am wondering if eating that much carb over 3 days had much effect on you and if not on you, what about the people who did the test with you?

I sat at my desk the full two hours and yes the well over 150 a day I've consumed since Tuesday has taken its toll for example the full pizza hut pizza with garlic bread side took me higher then the ogtt test! I would have also been diagnosed full T2 on an FBG this morning as I tested at 7.7 so I can pass an ogtt test but fail an FBG on the same day.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well, my consultant INSISTED I do one (an OFTTthat is ),last week.
Waking BG 4.8mmol/l. After about 90 minutes of running and swapping buses (which made me liver dump!) my starting BG was 5.4mmol/l, I peaked at ~30 mins at 9.8 mmol/l and checked out at 120 min at 5.8 mmol/l(and fell back to 4.9 mmol/l by 135 minutes!
The nurses tried to ply me with toast:( but I declined.
The "tea lady said as I was on a OGTT I couldn't have a tea but I said I'd prefer a G&T: result Laughter all round!

Reactions: 5 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, my consultant INSISTED I do one (an OFTTthat is ),last week.
Waking BG 4.8mmol/l. After about 90 minutes of running and swapping buses (which made me liver dump!) my starting BG was 5.4mmol/l, I peaked at ~30 mins at 9.8 mmol/l and checked out at 120 min at 5.8 mmol/l(and fell back to 4.9 mmol/l by 135 minutes!
The nurses tried to ply me with toast:( but I declined.
The "tea lady said as I was on a OGTT I couldn't have a tea but I said I'd prefer a G&T: result Laughter all round!

That sounds better than last year's one and is damned impressive. How many LC years are you up to now Fergie?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
6th year of D so probably about 5 but never really ate that high carb TBH..

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've only done one GTT - about 20 years ago. NO problem. At the same screening test my cholesterol was 6.4 - no need to worry - I had no heart disease indicators.

T2D was diagnosed in 2000 (at 61) when I went to the Dr with a numb sensation in one thigh - might be diabetes, confirmed by blood tests - HbA1c 11. I immediately cut out sugar, & a month later, 8.5. I started on the DUK/NHS diet. HbA1c stayed around 6.5-6.9 for 7 years, but with metformin after 3 years. I found simvastin aggravated muscle pain, & gave it up after a few months.

The first retina test indicated slight bleeds - not needing treatment - & these continued every screen until recently.

Chronic tiredness made driving hazardous - I stopped at every m'way service area, & routinely slept during TV programmes & sermons.

The leg problem progressed. I could still play tennis but had the feeling sometimes that my leg was giving way. Bed was a problem, in that when my snuggled up to me, her knee would press into that thigh causing pain. I would stiffen up, just lying in bed. Getting out of bed became painful.

By 2008 the pain was chronic & my active life was over. Dr suggested hospital tests.

Sorry - the thread is about long term effects of a restricted carb diet - I've told you the long term effects of the NHS/DUK high starchy carb diet. That progression was, of course, expected - I was told on diagnosis.

May 2008 I joined this forum & Fergus convinced me I should restrict carbs. Blood sugars improved immediately, fasting around 6, down from 7. In 3 months I was playing tennis again.

6 years of low carb & I am well, without any of those complications, & scheduled to play tennis this morning.

Long low carb means good health without diabetic complications. I'm 75 in March.

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Probably said this elsewhere but just to reiterate, Dana Carpender has been low carbing for over 17 years now. Some of you may have her cook book, its fab. Not sure if she was diabetic but it just shows that eating 'normal healthy' food is good for us.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Probably said this elsewhere but just to reiterate, Dana Carpender has been low carbing for over 17 years now. Some of you may have her cook book, its fab. Not sure if she was diabetic but it just shows that eating 'normal healthy' food is good for us.

i have her 1001 low carb recipes, its a great book and I've had some fun with it but lots of the ingredients are hard to get in the uk

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I sat at my desk the full two hours and yes the well over 150 a day I've consumed since Tuesday has taken its toll for example the full pizza hut pizza with garlic bread side took me higher then the ogtt test! I would have also been diagnosed full T2 on an FBG this morning as I tested at 7.7 so I can pass an ogtt test but fail an FBG on the same day.

Sounds similar to the food being eaten on my DAFNE course this week! Although the huge Chinese takeaway and jam doughnuts took some people's carbs to around 250g per meal - and then we all sat around wondering why fasting levels were in the mid teens and HbA1cs were in double figures. Anyway, I digress.

I can't believe it was a year ago that the last OGTT's were done - how time flies when you're managing your diabetes. Really impressive results. I've had a depressing week with the eat all you like and jab brigade, so it's really good to see the evidence for reducing the carbs demonstrated so clearly in this way!

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes the time you run way to high is critical. I went undiagnosed for around 9 months. Interestingly although I think I was the only T2 last year who passed then test by being under 7.8 (most ended up somewhere in the glucose impaired range) I was the most diabetic in terms of how long over the two hours my levels where really high. It kind of showed I had lost my first phase response but my second phase that kicks at around an hour was good and strong. This year seems to show that I may have regained some first phase response although by no means enough to give me a graph of the average non diabetic.

I think these days there is more awareness of diabetes and more are being diagnosed earlier, which could given proper diet advice including dare I say it reducing carbohydrates;) to achieve acceptable blood sugars, could lead some to emulate your improvements.

Sent from my Clapped out Laptop