What are your diabetes management goals for the next 3 months and how will you achieve it?

maria111979

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My A1c goal is <50 and I will have fix my carb to 100 grams per day and do 45 mins of moderate activity each day. I will also try to attain perfect meds adherence.

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been about a month and a half since I started actively dealing with my T2 diabetes diagnosed a few months earlier (I was going through shock, anger, denial and depression in the meantime). At present I'm keeping my carbs to 30-40 per day, losing weight (from BMI 39 to 36), moving on a daily basis (mostly walking, sometimes DVD or stationery bike), and learning as much as possible. Oh, I also started checking my blood glucose, but that's on hold and the moment. I still have a few NHS appointments to attend, including the Right Start course and a bariatric surgery consultation. After that, and around the 3-month mark, I will request a blood test from the GP and ask for the actual results (I haven't been given the numbers at diagnosis).

So, ultimately, my goals are to learn more, lose weight and reduce BG.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My A1c goal is <50 and I will have fix my carb to 100 grams per day and do 45 mins of moderate activity each day. I will also try to attain perfect meds adherence.

What is your current HbA1c? I'm just curious to know if your goal is improvement or maintenance.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to lose any more weight and yet maintain reasonable BGs...
probably try to recover some strength, I'm good for long walks and a 5 minute plank... but anything else and I'm a wimp..... which is not the way it was...
reduce my HbAc1 a bit more from the other... fine tuning....
And get my lipids under control...+8 at the moment... doc not a happy bunny....

Reactions: 3 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Lose my last stone and a half finally.
Get my Hba1c below 5.8% by September.
Be able to eat the odd carb,bread or cake ,occasionally without spiking.
Plenty exercise,perhaps ND to finish it off or maybe intermittent fasting added to my LCHF

Last edited by a moderator:

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
My goal is to lower my hba1c to 'normal' ie under 41, it is currently 43, and lose weight. I shall do this by continuing with low carbing and being more active.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Done the hard yards in the last 6 months, now relaxing on maintenance program

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My goal is to reduce my HbA1c to "Normal" levels - i.e. below my consistent current pre diabetic level and consistently keep it there.

I shall do this by continuing to monitor:

my blood glucose
my carbohydrate intake
my activity level
my waistline in proportion to hip measurement

Along with:

regular intermittent fasting and random true fasting - water only.
Ketosis.

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My main goal is to get my A1c under 40 which should be achievable no problem as my last test in January was 44 and I wasn't fully in control back then.

To keep my BS in the 5's and to try not to go under 4

To get my BMI under 30 (almost there)

To try not to "fall off the wagon" and have those bad days when I just eat everything in sight that I shouldn't. I have just changed my diet slightly in that if I feel like something like a biscuit or a bit of chocolate or even a bit of mashed potato I will have some and I have found that within 2 hrs my BS is back in the 5's, albeit I have only been doing this for about 4 days but hopefully it will work out fine.

To actually put my recipes in a recipe book for easier reference (and for my sister)

I have some baking recipes (low carb and sugarfree) that I would love to try but I have to get the ingredients together so that is a big goal for me and then when I feel like something sweet to eat it will also be better for me.

To increase the speed I am able to walk at without it dropping my BS too low too quickly.

Nannyrosie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine is to get back on track. Over the last 4 months I been totally derailed. I've been craving sugar, eating sweets and cake. I stopped testing but I've gained about 5-6 pounds I was doing so well form last October to January my DG was becoming steady and I had lost 2 stone in weight. Leaving me a stone to lose. I think I went off the rail as I found out end of January that I need to have another part fusion of my wrist as the operation I had April 2014 didn't fully fuse together. I'm still waiting to have the operation again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My main goal is to get my A1c under 40 which should be achievable no problem as my last test in January was 44 and I wasn't fully in control back then.

To keep my BS in the 5's and to try not to go under 4

To get my BMI under 30 (almost there)

To try not to "fall off the wagon" and have those bad days when I just eat everything in sight that I shouldn't. I have just changed my diet slightly in that if I feel like something like a biscuit or a bit of chocolate or even a bit of mashed potato I will have some and I have found that within 2 hrs my BS is back in the 5's, albeit I have only been doing this for about 4 days but hopefully it will work out fine.

To actually put my recipes in a recipe book for easier reference (and for my sister)

I have some baking recipes (low carb and sugarfree) that I would love to try but I have to get the ingredients together so that is a big goal for me and then when I feel like something sweet to eat it will also be better for me.

To increase the speed I am able to walk at without it dropping my BS too low too quickly.

May I ask why you don't want to go under 4? Your profile has conflicting information. It states you are both T1 and T2, but your written dialogue says T2, diet only, so I'm assuming that's the correct classification.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • Maintain my low carb/ketogenic "lifestyle"
  • Lose more weight
  • See if I can reduce fasting and pre meal glucose levels
  • I'm happy with HbA1c results and post meal levels are generally within non-diabetic levels, so I want to keep them that way
  • Ask if I can dispense with statins altogether :D
  • And not to let daft comments from practice diabetes doctor about it being OK for me to test (at my own expense!) just as a hobby, upset me again :mad::mad::mad:
Hopefully achievable with diet, testing, and willpower?

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask why you don't want to go under 4? Your profile has conflicting information. It states you are both T1 and T2, but your written dialogue says T2, diet only, so I'm assuming that's the correct classification.
I don't want to go under 4 if I can help it as if it goes down to 3.7 I will start shaking which I hate. I will usually start shaking slightly when it is around 4 but at that stage I can usually correct it pretty quickly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to go under 4 if I can help it as if it goes down to 3.7 I will start shaking which I hate. I will usually start shaking slightly when it is around 4 but at that stage I can usually correct it pretty quickly.

I'm perhaps a bit of an oddity, because I don't have any symptoms until I'm very low indeed (under 3.2, and into the 2s), but then my running range tends to be low 4s anyway. When I drop into the low 3s and 2s, it tends to be before I am due to eat, so I just crack on and eat my meal as usual. Should it be earlier than my meal is ready, I tend to just have a cup of tea, with some milk, rather than head for jelly babies. In that instance, all I am looking to achieve is a mild lift in my blood score to keep me comfortable until my meal is ready.

As your blood scores settle in the lower numbers, many people find their feelings when "low" moderate somewhat and the point at which you feel uncomfortable could reduce, so please do keep an open mind on your desired floor. Personally, I don't have a target floor, and have found over time I become less concerned if I see a small number.

It is my belief that lots of non-diabetics run in these low figures, and that their blood glucose bell curves have some real lows, and some spikes, at times of real indulgence, but they simply don't know, because they don't test as we do, and in all my reading around and digging, there seems to be a limited amount of scientific data out there. If we want to recover to a non-diabetic blood profile and replicate non-diabetic blood score activity we need to have open minds.

In terms of T2 diabetics with decent HbA1cs compared to "normal" folks; a number of posters on here, from time to time, have have used their non-diabetic partners to mirror test blood scores around meals and activity, with very interesting results. @Andrew Colvin and his wife did this, and some of their results are documented in his threads about his diabetes journey. Unfortunately, my OH would rather stick pins in his own eyes, whilst sitting naked on red hot coals than do bloods with me, so I have to accept that. We laugh about it, but it would have been extremely helpful, I think.

Please don't et me wrong. I'm not saying your approach is wrong, just asking that you maybe be more governed by how you feel, rather than the number on your meter.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
My aims are to lower BG levels to between 5 and 6 consistently, lose at least a stone in weight and lower hb1a. Just had blood test today so hopefully it's gone down from 7.6 last one 3 months ago.