What blood glucose monitor do you use?

ronjo94

I have recently started using the Beyer Breeze 2. It's just great 10 strips on a small disc that fits inside the meter, no coding necessary and the strip is partially ejected from the meter ready to use and the meter switched on at the same time. The only problem is, whatever the meter, is trying to get a prescription from your Doc if you are type 2!!

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a number of different testers and strips over the years but the one thats been my overall favourate is the freestyle mini (now I believe its the lite). I use two different testers now. The freestyle mini at home is ideal, a tiny monitor, great for taking out on trips and with its backlit screen+light on strips helps with blood testing at nighttime.

I use a bayer didget at work, this uses contour testing strips which have the advantage of using no-coding technology. Its advertised as a kids tester working with a DS lite and related game, test results within the 'target range' will reward players in game with points. I like this tester mainly for its logging of test results with date, time and the option to mark each result with before & after meal icons.

Thanks for posting up that link sue! Very handy and now I'm purchasing a Contour USB kit!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked the manufacturers to send me a One Touch Ultrasmart. They sent me one for free with 50 strips.

Awesome meter. You can input your meds, and make a note on the meter how many carbs you've eaten, and when you take meds or do exercise. This plots a graph so you can see the effect that exercise/meds has on your BG.

Definitely one for the geeks! :wink:

I have just bought an Accu-Chek Mobile which has a cartridge that will hold 50 tests - no need for test strips at all!!

The only problem I have with it has been getting hold of the cartridges and FastClix lancets. My Doctor's surgery hadn't a clue what they were.

A little off topic, but I also use iPhone app, Diabetes Diary, as a diary for my glucose which is fantastic as i don't need to carry a book and a pen!

Both highly recommended!!

peachymac

could some of you more learned than I tell me why from samples of blood taken from different fingers,within seconds of each other give readings of a full 2 points difference on different monitors.I have rang both Abbott and Bayer(makers of each monitor)and of course both have said that their monitor are giving a true reading .Who do I believe?I have used a freestyle freedom monitor from the time I was put on insulin and from this site i got a free Bayer contour,I won`t say which is giving the higher reading,but any thoughts please

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
peachymac said:
could some of you more learned than I tell me why from samples of blood taken from different fingers,within seconds of each other give readings of a full 2 points difference on different monitors.I have rang both Abbott and Bayer(makers of each monitor)and of course both have said that their monitor are giving a true reading .Who do I believe?I have used a freestyle freedom monitor from the time I was put on insulin and from this site i got a free Bayer contour,I won`t say which is giving the higher reading,but any thoughts please
It's been said before but it's worth restating: once you have decided on a meter, stick with it and don't start comparing brands. That game gets you nowhere except perhaps raised blood pressure. For any meter there's always going to be a margin of some error that you're never going to get away from. Throw in manufacturer variability and all hell breaks loose.

I use a Bayer Contour Link, for no other reason than it transmits bg readings wirelessly to my pump.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Just bought the Contour usb just out today been waiting on this for a while very reasonable price at £25 :D

goji

Hi Medave

Where did you get the contour USB from for £25? I really want one of those as the look useful. I read in the states they are selling for $75 so £25 is a really good deal.

Do you like it so far?

goji

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey

Bought it from bayer on the website, pre registerd so also got £5 off so total was 19.99 for meter and then postage came to Payment £23.49 GBP deliverd. Will be here within the next few days. Looks great you can do a virtual tour on there site.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I have a Freestyle Freedom Lite I have been using this week. I also ordered a Bayer Contour by ringing Bayer and told them my friend recommended their Contour. I received it free of charge today :mrgreen: My friend has given me some strips and lancets that he has spare, as I don't get them on prescription. Otherwise it is Ebay.
When my next blood tests are due, I will ask GP to prescribe strips and lancets. I started low carbing and Sitagliptin a week ago and already gone down from fasting 7.9 to 5.9 this morning :D

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just recieved my contour USB and I must say I'm very impressed. For £25 its great value for money. In the box you get the tester, a tub of 25 contour strips, 25 microlet needles, a microlet 2 finger pricker and a material case for the tester.

The tester is slightly bigger than a usb stick with a full colour screen, three function buttons, a power button on the side and in a glossy black finish. The screen has full text and animation indicating blood sugar in clear bold text, time & date. Blood testing is very fast about 5-3 seconds I think, using the contour strips and their no coding technology. Following a test an option is given to explain when the test was taken, pre meal, post meal and also asks how the user is feeling, tired, ill etc.

Other features of tester includes a full log book which will show each reading and its related notes. Target blood glucose ranges can be set and then using the trends function it can be established how many blood tests are within the glucose range. Reminders can be set after each test for the user to test again in a number of mins/hrs.

Coming with a usb connection the device battery recharges when connected. It can also act as a memory stick to save data. The tester comes preinstalled with software on, so once connected to a pc software can be installed and blood glucose results can be analysed further used graphs and tables. Buy it!

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Adrian it sounds ideal, something I will look into at a later date. Is the software American or UK based?

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seemed Uk to me. Or european I guess. I purchased the device in the UK and the units are mmol so I reckon UK.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I have found that the new MyLife Pura meter has test strips @ £14 per 50 direct from the UK importer/distributor, and probably of interest to those that are forced to buy their own strips.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
adrian29459 said:
Seemed Uk to me. Or european I guess. I purchased the device in the UK and the units are mmol so I reckon UK.
I looked briefly at the software for the Bayer Contour and it looked like the readings were American. I also found that the Freestyle Freedom software is more user friendly.
I'm a gadget person and a PC nerd :mrgreen:

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
cocacola said:
I looked briefly at the software for the Bayer Contour and it looked like the readings were American.
Bayer Contour can be set to display either mmol/l or mg/dl, along with other Bayer/Medtronic devices.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
im loving the contour usb so far, the glucofacts software is awesome and the meter is very small and easy to use. also lighted up test port.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
mehdave said:
im loving the contour usb so far, the glucofacts software is awesome and the meter is very small and easy to use. also lighted up test port.
Can you add levels manually? And also can you add food/meals etc?
Any chance of a screen shot of the software?

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Will try grab a screen later but yes to manually adding on glucofacts allthough if using the meter its automatic so no need. Yes to meal markers. Before and after etc havent seen anywhere to add food eaten though.