What breakfast cereal spikes sugars

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never tried them but I'm interested now!! Are they low GI then?
I think they are lower than rolled oats, should be anyway as they are larger. Cooking and cooling should also turn some starch into resistant starch

I make a batch now and then, let it cool and reheat a small portion for breakfast. As I eat LCHF I use cream instead of milk, higher fat content, far less carbs and much more filling. May add that oats are a rare treat for me as it's still very carby and takes me higher than I like.

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think they are lower than rolled oats, should be anyway as they are larger. Cooking and cooling should also turn some starch into resistant starch

I make a batch now and then, let it cool and reheat a small portion for breakfast. As I eat LCHF I use cream instead of milk, higher fat content, far less carbs and much more filling. May add that oats are a rare treat for me as it's still very carby and takes me higher than I like.

Since I've started on this forum I've tried so many new foods that others have recommended so I will have to give these a try! I have oats pretty much every morning so would be great to get some better ones that are lower GI, as they do spike me sometimes depending on what I have with them. Are you type 2 or 1 then?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I've started on this forum I've tried so many new foods that others have recommended so I will have to give these a try! I have oats pretty much every morning so would be great to get some better ones that are lower GI, as they do spike me sometimes depending on what I have with them. Are you type 2 or 1 then?
T2.

This is similar to how I make it, but I use more water and cook it longer, usually in the range while I do other things or overnight. And I think it's to much faff to bother with a bain marie.

http://www.porridgelady.com/2012/01...rridge-a-recipe-for-pinhead-oatmeal-porridge/

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @azure with regards to timing. You should obviously play it very carefully the first time, but I find that so long as I take my bolus at least 20-30 minutes beforehand I can eat pretty much any breakfast cereal in the morning without any spike or later hypo ... just a nice flat blood sugar line :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly the issue with most breakfast cereals isn't the sugar content on its own, it's the highly processed nature of the product that massively increases the GI. Even Bran Flakes and Shredded Wheat suffer from this. In many ways it's very like the issues with bread.

I quote "Tim2000s" because he is my inspiration to elaborate a little on this topic. Indeed, "Tim 2000s" is, again, very accurate as the problem is with the industrial processing of the grains.

Breakfast cereals are highly processed carbohydrates.
Almost all boxed cereals are highly glycemic and have a high glycemic load.
Kellog’s All Bran takes the prize of a highly processed carbohydrate which is low both in its glycemic index and its glycemic load. This is the reason why when you eat it, tastes like you are eating the box.

On top of the processing, in order for companies to make cereals taste good, they add sugar.
And because of the processing, the nutritional value of these cereals is next to nothing. The highly processed grains that are used to make the cereal have had all the quality nutrients removed. This is the reason why companies need to fortify their cereals.

The best cereals are the old fashioned ones, like coarse oatmeal, as mentioned by another Forum member above.
The grain is intact and has had minimal processing; therefore, the blood sugar rise, after consumption, will be milder and steady.

"Tim2000s" also mentioned bread (and, again, so accurately).

Most of us use brown bread believing that it is healthier. In fact, brown bread is a complete fake out.

Actually, in the U.K. market, there is no "real" brown bread. Whole wheat bread is highly processed, just like white bread is. No matter how the industry wishes to name it (whole meal, granary sensations, brown… whatever) the fact is that the processing is there and this bread will make our blood sugar spike as much as white bread will (or sugar or potatoes). When making bread, most brands use whole meal flour combined with white flour in order to make bread fluffier. Bread that is made only by whole grains is coarse and dry and doesn’t sell too well. Some companies take this even further, as their breads are simply white processed ones with the addition of food colorings.

Alternatively, in order to avoid blood sugar spikes we need to eat wheat, rye or barley, in the "old-fashioned" way like “peasants” used to eat centuries ago. This means bread which is made using the actual whole grains and not flour (regardless if the flour is white or brown, it is still processed).These grains should be stone-ground and not the result of high speed grinders. Even if you decide to make your own bread at home using brown flour, the fact that you will use processed flour will make no difference.

The good nutritional choice when it comes to bread is coarse wheat kernel bread (with intact kernels) and coarse rye kernel (pumpernickel) but I haven’t managed to find a brand which produces them in the U.K. so far…Their glycemic index is around 41 and their glycemic load is 5.

Similarly, oat bran bread is a good choice. Sour dough bread and Ezekiel bread and German bread are also good unprocessed choices. I have not managed to find any of these in the U.K. to be honest.

So, if you don’t consume these types of breads, whatever other bread you use (regardless how it is branded, regardless what the color is, regardless if it is infused with some whole seeds to look better) will make no difference to white processed bread.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All cereals spike me, so miss my porridge, I thought it was healthy but with my strange alien body it's bad!!! Bacon n egg, the old enemy is good, everything is upside down!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An update on my previous post, regarding bread.
I actually found this Livlife bread at Waitrose.
According to the manufacturer's label, it contains 3.8 grams of carbs per slice, which is considerably lower than other brands. Have not tried it yet, though.

Theoretically, we can have a ham and cheese sandwich for less than 1 CP...

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What does everyone eat for breakfast instead? My daughter likes her cereal in a morning
Toast - only 15 /30 carbs for one/two pieces. Real butter and peanut butter slows the spike. Whereas cereal, a decent size bowl (not what is listed on side of packet) is 50 + ish
Type 1 since I was 9, now 36 and figured out last few years not to listen to diet advice- base what is best for your daughter on her results.
I eat almost everything except cereal and orange juice due to really high spikes.
You could jazz up toast for her with Nutella (fat content should help blood sugar spike too) and vary daily. Cheese on toast gives me great results, again due to the fat content. Good luck

Stansfieldsara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh thanks very much. She does like her toast and loved peanut butter but would be very pleased with Nutella!

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does everyone eat for breakfast instead? My daughter likes her cereal in a morning
Be very careful of all cereals . Recently I confused ,got the wrong type of Wheatabix ,the packets are very similar .resulting in two days of very ,very high spikes . I contacted Wheatabix ,suggesting they change /improve their packaging.Got the standard reply ,We will respond in 48 hrs !!! ,Have now contacted them SIX times ,same reply ,no apology they don't care,they should be BANNED
John

DOBSONP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I quote "Tim2000s" because he is my inspiration to elaborate a little on this topic. Indeed, "Tim 2000s" is, again, very accurate as the problem is with the industrial processing of the grains.

Breakfast cereals are highly processed carbohydrates.
Almost all boxed cereals are highly glycemic and have a high glycemic load.
Kellog’s All Bran takes the prize of a highly processed carbohydrate which is low both in its glycemic index and its glycemic load. This is the reason why when you eat it, tastes like you are eating the box.

On top of the processing, in order for companies to make cereals taste good, they add sugar.
And because of the processing, the nutritional value of these cereals is next to nothing. The highly processed grains that are used to make the cereal have had all the quality nutrients removed. This is the reason why companies need to fortify their cereals?

The best cereals are the old fashioned ones, like coarse oatmeal, as mentioned by another Forum member above.
The grain is intact and has had minimal processing; therefore, the blood sugar rise, after consumption, will be milder and steady.

"Tim2000s" also mentioned bread (and, again, so accurately).

Most of us use brown bread believing that it is healthier. In fact, brown bread is a complete fake out.

Actually, in the U.K. market, there is no "real" brown bread. Whole wheat bread is highly processed, just like white bread is. No matter how the industry wishes to name it (whole meal, granary sensations, brown… whatever) the fact is that the processing is there and this bread will make our blood sugar spike as much as white bread will (or sugar or potatoes). When making bread, most brands use whole meal flour combined with white flour in order to make bread fluffier. Bread that is made only by whole grains is coarse and dry and doesn’t sell too well. Some companies take this even further, as their breads are simply white processed ones with the addition of food colorings.

Alternatively, in order to avoid blood sugar spikes we need to eat wheat, rye or barley, in the "old-fashioned" way like “peasants” used to eat centuries ago. This means bread which is made using the actual whole grains and not flour (regardless if the flour is white or brown, it is still processed).These grains should be stone-ground and not the result of high speed grinders. Even if you decide to make your own bread at home using brown flour, the fact that you will use processed flour will make no difference.

The good nutritional choice when it comes to bread is coarse wheat kernel bread (with intact kernels) and coarse rye kernel (pumpernickel) but I haven’t managed to find a brand which produces them in the U.K. so far…Their glycemic index is around 41 and their glycemic load is 5.

Similarly, oat bran bread is a good choice. Sour dough bread and Ezekiel bread and German bread are also good unprocessed choices. I have not managed to find any of these in the U.K. to be honest.

So, if you don’t consume these types of breads, whatever other bread you use (regardless how it is branded, regardless what the color is, regardless if it is infused with some whole seeds to look better) will make no difference to white processed bread.

DOBSONP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is very interesting, if disappointing. All bread spikes my BG but I still hoped wholemeal and seeded bread was healthier. Ahh well....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @DOBSONP :)

Your profile says you're Type 2 - are you on any tablets or insulin? That may make a difference to what you choose to eat and how you handle it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is very interesting, if disappointing. All bread spikes my BG but I still hoped wholemeal and seeded bread was healthier. Ahh well....

I type of bread that I have recently found and can suggest is "Veggie-Rye Bread" made by a company called Schneider Brot. I find it at Waitrose and it is Whole Grain Oat Rye Bread with 23% oilseeds. Each slice contains 9.7 grams of carbs and 7.4 dietary fiber. It is lactose free, yeast free and suitable for vegan diets.

It gives a very smooth and slow blood sugar rise without any spikes.
I find it very tasteful as well, although I can understand that some people may not like it as it is not fluffy and soft like other types of breads.

Since your are on a diet and excercise only, I suggest that you try it. You may find it beneficial for your blood glucose control.