What breakfast cereal spikes sugars

Stansfieldsara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does everyone eat for breakfast instead? My daughter likes her cereal in a morning

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Most morning I eat traditional porridge oats with seeds (linseeds, pumpkin & sunflower), natural greek yogurt & blueberries, on a weekend I'll have boiled eggs on toast or scrambled eggs on toast, eggs are good and make for a nutritional breakfast.

Reactions: 4 people

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I have cereal, I have coco pops, frosties or weeto's. But cereal like these have added sugar which would spike sugar levels, as opposed to corn flakes, rice krispies or cheerios which have a more starchy carbohydrate that absorbs slower, personally it makes no difference for me.

The traditional english breakfast is revolting, plus its way less healthy than cereal despite the protein content. Added to the fact I never really have breakfast, more of a brunch or morning snack to start the day.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 any cereal spikes me, if I have breakfast it's yoghurt & berries, eggs (usually scrambled) or a full English on special occasions

Reactions: 2 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww... I like cereal for breakfast too!
With Weetabix and (semi-skimmed) milk, the spike feels like it is never-ending (and it is a quite quick spike too.)
I find things are better with milk and All Bran. They do spike too but the spike is smoother and more gradual.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have rice krispies and i control the spike by giving my insulin 30/45 mins before i eat, depending on my wake up number.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Milk can be really bad for spikes, in my experience. I now use Alpro Soya Light milk in my coffee and cereal and it's great - it's ultra low carb and doesn't cause spikes at all.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to use Low glycemic index and low glycemic load products in order to avoid the spikes.
I am a bit afraid to inject much earlier than my meal so, I think that low glycemic food choices help me in order to control better both the spike as well as the drop.

Stansfieldsara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She's only 9 and loves cereal but she will eat plain ones with sweetener. We are getting freestyle libre so be able to keep track of spikes now

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She's only 9 and loves cereal but she will eat plain ones with sweetener. We are getting freestyle libre so be able to keep track of spikes now

Freestyle Libre is an excellent tool. I use it myself and it is very helpful in order to understand how high glycemic foods behave.
In my case, a high glycemic cereal, like Weetabix, will spike within 15-20 minutes, will go sky-high and by the time the quick acting insulin will start to work, the food will not be there so, my libre will show a massive drop for the next 2-3 hours with the arrows pointing constantly vertical.
This creates some stress to me, looking at the arrows pointing downwards for 2 consecutive hours...

On the contrary, with low glycemic index foods (like, all bran, in the case of cereals) the rise is milder and the drop is also milder.
It is better (for me) for psychological reasons as well, because I feel more relaxed when I see a mild and well controlled drop.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there a way to control the spikes?

It will depend on the individual, but what I do is have my fast-acting insulin quite a way in advance of my breakfast (more in advance than for my other meals). If I time that fast acting correctly I can avoid a spike of 11 and have a blood sugar of 5 or 6, which is much better.

I eat cereal almost every day. I have a mix of granola and bran cereal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My issue with cereal and bread is that they both cause a spike in sugars - I go for a protein breakfast, so either greek yoghurt and blueberries or an omelette with ham/cheese/mushrooms or bacon and eggs.

By eating a protein breakfast it keeps you fuller for longer and requires less insulin and less impact on sugar levels, no snacking mid morning and keeps your blood glucose more stable.

I steer away from cereals because they contain so much sugar..:eek:

Reactions: 4 people

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Whenever I have cereal, I have coco pops, frosties or weeto's. But cereal like these have added sugar which would spike sugar levels, as opposed to corn flakes, rice krispies or cheerios which have a more starchy carbohydrate that absorbs slower, personally it makes no difference for me.

The traditional english breakfast is revolting, plus its way less healthy than cereal despite the protein content. Added to the fact I never really have breakfast, more of a brunch or morning snack to start the day.

Rice kristpies, corn flakes and Cheerios tend to be high GI, it's things like porridge oats, bran flakes and muesli that are low GI

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rice kristpies, corn flakes and Cheerios tend to be high GI, it's things like porridge oats, bran flakes and muesli that are low GI
If you look on the box of these cereals, assuming GI relates to whether it has more or the same sugars as carbs, the ones with evidently no sugar sprinkled on them already suggests they only hold the hidden starch sugar with only a small amount of the fast acting sugar. For example Rice Krispies has, per serving, Carbs (29g) and Sugars (4g), this suggests that this has a low GI which means the carbs will absorb slower into your bloodstream, if you were to take ricicles for example it would likely have the same carb/sugar ratio and would have a high GI.

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
If you look on the box of these cereals, assuming GI relates to whether it has more or the same sugars as carbs, the ones with evidently no sugar sprinkled on them already suggests they only hold the hidden starch sugar with only a small amount of the fast acting sugar. For example Rice Krispies has, per serving, Carbs (29g) and Sugars (4g), this suggests that this has a low GI which means the carbs will absorb slower into your bloodstream, if you were to take ricicles for example it would likely have the same carb/sugar ratio and would have a high GI.

Personally I wouldn't calculate the GI of foods in that way, I think it's much more accurate to just google the product or get a hand book. I think you'll find that the GI of rice krispies is 82, which is considerably high when the index only goes up to 100.

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Muesli, porridge made with whole oats, bran flakes etc