What can I expect if stop taking metformin?

mtristanl

I have been taking metform 850 Mg three times a day, I am in LCD since a year now My glicemic profile IS GOOD .What can I expect if stop taking metformin.?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Congratulations on your good BS profile. Ask your GP about a plan to reduce it your dosage.

D

Deleted member 308541

After a string of good hba1c test results around the 34 mmol/mol level including March, I reduced my Metformin by half. After my last hba1c of 34 mmol/mol at the beginning of June I stopped taking the rest of the Metformin this was done with the agreement of my GP.

I have not stopped my lchf way of eating, and my bgl are still in line with what they were before I stopped Metformin.

Edit: More info for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP took me off metformin a couple of years ago after I'd had consistently low and stable pre-diabetic HbA1cs - I didn't actually see any difference! But I believe my LCHF diet was (and is) probably doing for me than any pills.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been experiencing gastric issues you might get better...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You might feel a bit more hungry?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking metform 850 Mg three times a day, I am in LCD since a year now My glicemic profile IS GOOD .What can I expect if stop taking metformin.?

Hi there - if you would like to reduce or come off Metformin, it's certainly worth discussing with your Doc.

My only comments would be that some folks find it helps them if they're still trying to trim up (I have no idea where you are on that journey, if you are at all), and some find it blunts their appetite a bit, which many find helpful.

It's all about the bigger picture and weighing up whe Metformin does for you.

Some folks have come off it, then gone back to it again, if they find that, say, their weightloss stalls or they get more hungry than their bloods can cope with. Those are just examples, so not in any way exhaustive.

D

Deleted Account

Tagging @Rachox as I believe she has chosen to stay on Metformin for the additional health benefits they provide.
(Apologies Rachox if I have misrepresented you.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @helensaramay
I have taken 3 x 500mg of Metformin since diagnosis 2 years ago. I feel it does only a tiny bit for my blood sugar control, I dropped one tablet last autumn as an experiment, and my average blood sugars went up by about 0.3mmol/l. I then went back up to 3 tablets as my weight loss stalled, so as DCUKMod says, it depends what you’re hoping the Metformin will do for you. Side effects can be an issue that may be a reason to stop them, luckily I don’t suffer any.
Here’s an article about other benefits:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01

D

Deleted member 308541

I forgot to mention that my weight is still around the 95 - 96 kgs mark which is about the same as when I started on Metformin. I have not eaten anymore than usual from feeling hungry, just eat my normal breakfast, lunch and dinner as I have always done.