What can you eat with type1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything. It's just a lot harder to correctly dose insulin for high carb foods like cake and pizza than it is for lower carb foods.
Who told you many foods are banned with T1?

Last edited:
Reactions: michita

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Which foods have been banned and who banned them?

D

Deleted Account

Welcome to the type 1 team, @Dchau001
It would be good to know a bit about you. Have you recently been diagnosed? How is your diabetes treated? Do you carb count? How old are you? (You can just give a range)

Sorry for all the questions.
The “type 1 diet” is exactly the same as if you did not have diabetes.
Some people with type 1 choose to eat a low carb diet but many do not and match their insulin dose to the food they eat.

I was diagnosed 15 years ago. I have not changed my diet: I eat fruit, vegetables, bread, pasta, fish, eggs, cheese, ... I exercise most days with cycling, running, climbing, gym, hiking and the occasional other random activity. I travel a lot for both work and pleasure. In other words, I try not to let diabetes stopping me do what I want. This is not always easy and requires close monitoring of my BG but, for me, it is worth it and, after 15 years, has become second nature.

When I have an off day, I think of the athletes, actors, musicians, country leaders, ... who have type 1 diabetes. If they can live their tough lives with the condition, I can go to another meeting.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Dchau001 :)

Depends on how you are treating your type 1, if on mixed insulin I can understand the logic, but if your taking quick acting insulin and carb counting then it shouldn't be restrictive, however it would help greatly to know more about your situation ?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
A massive welcome...

I basically eat whatever I want and just give insulin accordingly.. I find it's the "non diabetics" out there that believe we cant eat the things which we do.. And a few others that should know better!!

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I remember the dietician when I was diagnosed told me not to eat sweets, cakes, biscuits, grapes (she called them little bags of sugar), dried fruit or basically anything sweet. Anything else was fair game. Has your dietician told you something like that?

Once I'd learned to carb count and knew how my ratios change through the day I decided that I could eat what I wanted if I dose adjusted. I don't have much of a sweet tooth though, so don't bother much (beyond Oreos for hypos) and vegan dark chocolate for comfort food and treats. And I confess - Magnum brought out vegan Magnums and they are gorgeous. But like evreything else - carbs have to be counted and injected for.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can eat what you want but having too many carbs may lead to weight gain as it would for a non-diabetic. Also having large carb meals can make it difficult to estimate the amount of Bolus to take and you will have larger BS swings.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Carb count it, get your insulin sorted, eat whatever you like. Of course, as with anyone life works in moderation but I am pleased to say we are long past the 'banned foods list'. Some things just won't feel the effort (coke over diet coke mb) but you should be ok.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
DAFNE or DAFYDD (for the Welsh :) ) course are a must do. I eat what I want. As long as I count carbs and inject the right amount of insulin at the right time I hardly get many spikes. I am defo not over weight (74 kilos). Been type 1 for 48 years