What do you use to record your numbers?

tiredgirl91

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
An Excel spreadsheet? A notebook? An app?
What is the most convenient way for you?

And also, on my next follow-up appointment, how do I show my readings to my doctor?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mysugr app for me but I started on a bit of paper.

I hope your dr is interested but dont be surprised if either they don’t bother looking or if they do they only look at fasting as they simply don’t usually look at pre and post meal data unless it’s related to hypos and insulin dosages and might not know what to make of it.

tiredgirl91

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Mysugr app for me but I started on a bit of paper.

I hope your dr is interested but dont be surprised if either they don’t bother looking or if they do they only look at fasting as they simply don’t usually look at pre and post meal data unless it’s related to hypos and insulin dosages and might not know what to make of it.

I started on a paper as well. For now at least, it seems convenient enough for me :)

My doctor told me to measure fasting, before a meal and 2 hours after a meal. So I guess they will be interested in my numbers

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to use software on my PC to load and process data from my Contour meter, and while I was using one of the original Libre sensors for a while , did the same with similar software from Abbot. But my meter also keeps records of my readings for the last 90 days and allows me to set various target ranges for fasting , pre and post meals. and overall averages over 7, 14, 30 and 90 days, so I have all the data I need in one handy little "gadget".

For a while I also used database software on my PC to record what Ii'd eaten in addition to my meter readings and for a very brief time tried some online software, but I rarely used that info so justy use my meter now. my GP is mainly interested in my HbA1cs, though I used to sometimes take my glucose (and more recently my BP)- meters, or paper copies if requested, for him to have a quick look if needs be.

But I think to a certain extent it depends on you and what you choose to use any of this data for.

Reactions: Lainie71

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a notebook. Neither DN nor GP has shown the slightest interest in my figures (DN said "when you take your fasting readings, that's the lowest you'll be all day" which shows she doesn't know about DP) and only look at Hb1Ac.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a notebook. Neither DN nor GP has shown the slightest interest in my figures (DN said "when you take your fasting readings, that's the lowest you'll be all day" which shows she doesn't know about DP) and only look at Hb1Ac.
I've also used the MySugr app though the gamified approach is geared toward younger users, I feel. You can also record your glucose numbers in the Carb Manager app if you're using that for carb counting.
My fasting reading in the morning is normally the HIGHEST of the readings for the day... as you say, she seems to be unaware of the dawn phenomenon.
Though I guess if you followed their suggested Eatwell Plate plan, she might be right ;)

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used paper diaries from the pound shop, which recorded my meals and any additional info as well as BG and A1c readings. I have some clunky BG graphs from my Gluco RXQ that I always meant to include, but never got round to it. I have just over two years recorded. I stopped when I realised everything had stabilised.

Nobody (apart from me) was ever interested when I took them along to my check-ups.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I used to write them down in the early days, now I use my sugar app and Libre graphs (when I am wearing one)!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All food, exercise, finger prick tests go on my libre app which my consultant can see on libre view

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t use anything, it’s all recorded on my blood meter and then uploaded when I go to my appointments.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
“DiaConnect” or Diabetes connect? Both on my iPad & Android phone respectively. Input the data on one device. The other device updates as soon as I open the app. Shared through my email.. Basically the same app.

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a spreadsheet to track various stuff blood sugar, blood pressure, weight and whether I've taken my pills. I use the myfitnesspal app to record what I eat (which also then tells me how many carbs I've had), and I use Garmin Connect to record exercise (which also feeds into the myfitnesspal app).

I also use the My Diabetes My Way site (which I think might just be NHS Scotland) and also record my blood sugar levels there.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I use a book I buy off e bay. Doesn't cost much and can record everything. Called my Diabetes Log Book. Lasts 1 year.