WHAT FRUITS CAN I HAVE

DEBAND

Good Evening,

Hi I am new on on this forum and have just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so I am not sure on a few things things and I am hoping that this forum can give me me valuable information to cope with this condition.

I have high sugar levels, so my first question is, what fruits should I start taking and which fruits should be avoided.

Since being diagnosed I have cut out all sugers and eaten apples, oranges and the occasional grape.

I have also cut out white bread and now only eat wholemeal bread. Thanks in advance Andy

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few berries with double cream or Greek yogurt. Avoid all other fruit.

Avoid, no matter the colour, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum. Read around and ask lots of questions.

Tagging @daisy1 for the welcome pack.

Reactions: DEBAND

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Evening,

Hi I am new on on this forum and have just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so I am not sure on a few things things and I am hoping that this forum can give me me valuable information to cope with this condition.

I have high sugar levels, so my first question is, what fruits should I start taking and which fruits should be avoided.

Since being diagnosed I have cut out all sugers and eaten apples, oranges and the occasional grape.

I have also cut out white bread and now only eat wholemeal bread. Thanks in advance Andy
This is a useful guide.... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
Fruit was probably my downfall, I used to pride myself on the vast quantity of "healthy" fruit I consumed. I now have a small helping of berries with cream or an occasional satsuma.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Deband to the forum, I see xfieldok has tagged in daisy1 for her useful info post.
Can you tell us a little more about any meds you are on? As for fruits it’d be best to drop the apples, oranges and grapes and stick to berries. Here’s a graphic showing how many carbs (sugar) fruits contain.....
Just about to post the Diet Dr graphic when @Mr_Pot beat me to it!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good Evening,

No good .... oranges and grapes are NOT helpful as they are full of sugars

Reactions: johnrubinstein

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DEBAND most of us follow the low carb high fat way of eating. All carbs end up as sugars which we can't cope with.

If you need to lose weight, LCHF is an excellent way to do it, the weight melts away and rarely a hunger pangs.

The diagnosis and what to do about it can be overwhelming. Don't be discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Do you know what your HbA1c number is? If not, you need to find out.

There is no question that is silly, we have all been where you are now.

DEBAND

Welcome Deband to the forum, I see xfieldok has tagged in daisy1 for her useful info post.
Can you tell us a little more about any meds you are on? As for fruits it’d be best to drop the apples, oranges and grapes and stick to berries. Here’s a graphic showing how many carbs (sugar) fruits contain.....
Just about to post the Diet Dr graphic when @Mr_Pot beat me to it!
Hi I am on lots of meds for heart condition but for my my diabetes im have been prescribed metformin 500mg x 2 two times per day.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am on lots of meds for heart condition but for my my diabetes im have been prescribed metformin 500mg x 2 two times per day.
That’s ok then, I just asked as reducing carbs carries a risk of hypo on certain diabetic meds but with Metformin it’s not a problem.

DEBAND

That’s ok then, I just asked as reducing carbs carries a risk of hypo on certain diabetic meds but with Metformin it’s not a problem.
OK thanks, I have been pre-diabetic for a number of years, I have not eaten any sweet stuff, for ten days now, must say I am very surprised by the fruit as I was usu=ing them as a substitute for sugary treats.

Could you recommend any yogurts or treats that will not affect my sugar levels.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto mug cake. I have done the chocolate one. Takes about 70 seconds in the microwave, the quantity can be split into two ramakins. Serve with lashings of double cream

Google fat bombs. Hundreds of recipes out there.

If you like pizza, Google fat head dough.

If you like KFC, I have a great recipe.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
upload_2018-11-11_22-23-50.png

This chart is a pretty good illustration of the relative number of carbs in fruits and berries. It shows carbs per 100g.

DEBAND

@DEBAND most of us follow the low carb high fat way of eating. All carbs end up as sugars which we can't cope with.

If you need to lose weight, LCHF is an excellent way to do it, the weight melts away and rarely a hunger pangs.

The diagnosis and what to do about it can be overwhelming. Don't be discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Do you know what your HbA1c number is? If not, you need to find out.

There is no question that is silly, we have all been where you are now.
Hi and thanks for your reply, what is LCHF?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK thanks, I have been pre-diabetic for a number of years, I have not eaten any sweet stuff, for ten days now, must say I am very surprised by the fruit as I was usu=ing them as a substitute for sugary treats.

Could you recommend any yogurts or treats that will not affect my sugar levels.
Greek yoghurt is the lowest for carbs, I have that every lunchtime with some berries.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF stands for low carb high fat. When you start researching it, you will find that all we have been taught over the years about diet needs to be thrown out of the window.