WHAT FRUITS CAN I HAVE

DEBAND

Hi, my initial blood levels 14 days ago read 18.8

Yesterday after a fasting blood test the blood levels now read 10.6

Whilst I appreciate the levels are still high, giving the previous reading and the time in between tests is this a positive or a negative?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my initial blood levels 14 days ago read 18.8

Yesterday after a fasting blood test the blood levels now read 10.6

Whilst I appreciate the levels are still high, giving the previous reading and the time in between tests is this a positive or a negative?

A fasting BS of 10.6 is still quite high, but better than an 18.8, obviously. If you go low carb, it can take a while for your fasting bs to come down. Your liver is used to higher numbers and might be dumping glucose to get you to what it thinks are the right levels. So it takes a little while, as it needs to get used to lower numbers. How's the food adjustment going? And you really would do better getting a meter of your own. A test once every couple of weeks won't tell you much of anything, while 4 to 6 tests in one day would open up a world of information.

Reactions: DEBAND

DEBAND

A fasting BS of 10.6 is still quite high, but better than an 18.8, obviously. If you go low carb, it can take a while for your fasting bs to come down. Your liver is used to higher numbers and might be dumping glucose to get you to what it thinks are the right levels. So it takes a little while, as it needs to get used to lower numbers. How's the food adjustment going? And you really would do better getting a meter of your own. A test once every couple of weeks won't tell you much of anything, while 4 to 6 tests in one day would open up a world of information.
I have cut out all the fatty foods like crisps, chocolate, fried food and tbh I have not missed any of them, have invested in a George Foreman to reduce the fats on main meals.

Doctor wants me to have another blood test next week, non fasting BT.

Thanks for your reply,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cut out all the fatty foods like crisps, chocolate, fried food and tbh I have not missed any of them, have invested in a George Foreman to reduce the fats on main meals.

Thanks for your reply,
I'm a bit worried about you cutting out fats? Why?
Cutting carbs is key to both better sugars and weight loss.. so I'd be cutting carbs and not fat. Fattier foods are what fills us up plus they have little if any impact on blood sugar if not combined with carbs. So eggs, bacon,,butter, cheese, cream will be better and keep you feeling fuller.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for your reply,
That might be where you're going wrong... There's three macro nutrients: Carbs, Fat and Protein. The one we as T2's can't process is carbs. Those turn to glucose once ingested and makes our BG skyrocket. Fat, believe it or not, is your friend. The diet's not called Low Carb High Fat for nothing, after all. Fat slows down the uptake of any carbs you do ingest, making for less of a peak. I eat bacon once or twice a day, loads of cheese, a few squares of extra dark chocolate.... And still lost 25 kilo's, have excellent cholesterol levels (which I didn't have before), and am solidly in the non-diabetic range. If you dial down the carbs, you'll need to dial up the other macro-nutrients. To feel full, AND because you'll need the vitamins and minerals that come with them. I don't know if I'm repeating myself here so forgive me if I am, but meals could look like this, and note they're quite fatty:
3 eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, maybe some cherry tomatoes or high-meat content sausages. (No toast or beans!). Green salad with a can of tunea (in oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives, and avocado, or salad with goat's cheese, a nice vinaigrette and some cherry tomatoes. Meat or fish, with above-ground, non-starchy veggies, things like cauliflower rice (which is remarcably versatile) or broccoli with bacon, cheese and whatever herbs take your fancy. Full fat greek yoghurt with some nuts and maybe a few berries? For snacks, olives, hard cheese, extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt's is really good), nuts, that sort of thing...

Low fat isn't the way to go here, honest. Not if you want to get healthy. (Which sounds kindof bizarre, I know. But it's true!)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for your reply,
Crisps are carby foods - to be avoided, chocolate, you can have the very dark ones, high cocoa low carb, fried foods - they are fine, tuck in, as long as they are not things such as potatoes. The George Foreman grill I bought was useless as it dried up all the food before it was cooked - I was wrapping it in foil to try to keep the meat moist.

DEBAND

Thanks for all the replies it is appreciated.

I am going to be honest but I am confused and my doctor has not really been that helpful on this.

I assumed that if my sugar levels were high, cut out the sweet and fatty foods, similar to a diet.

However it would appear that carbs should be the main target.

It that is the case which foods are best as to reduce carbs and which ones should be avoided at all costs, thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies it is appreciated.

I am going to be honest but I am confused and my doctor has not really been that helpful on this.

I assumed that if my sugar levels were high, cut out the sweet and fatty foods, similar to a diet.

However it would appear that carbs should be the main target.

It that is the case which foods are best as to reduce carbs and which ones should be avoided at all costs, thanks.
Doctors an dieticians are usually a bit behind the times, going with the EatWell plate still... For cutting edge stuff, you'll want to read Dr. Jason Fung and the Dietdoctor.com website. EatWell is fine if you're healthy, but not if you're a T2, who can't process carbs out again. Like I said, practically all carbs are turned into glucose. That is, glucose is sugar, that goes straight into your bloodstream. It sands away at your veins, eyes, kidneys etc, so you want to keep your bloodsugar in the non-diabetic range (between 4.5 and 8.5-ish). Not to mention some of it being stored as fat on your liver, and making things that much worse. To lower bloodsugars, you lower your carb intake. That's all carbs. Sugar is a carb, yes, but so are starches.

What not to eat:
Spuds, rice, corn, cereal, bread, pasta, legumes, fruits (save for a few berries, cherry-tomatoes and avocado). Anything with breading, made with oats or whatever, is carby and will make your bloodsugar spike.

What to eat:
Above-ground veggies/leafy greens, meat, fish, cheese, real butter/ghee, nuts, eggs, double cream, full fat greek yoghurt, mayo, avocado, extra dark chocolate.

When in a pinch and you're stuck out with no other options, just go for McDonalds. seriously. Just order a burger without the bun. It's 5 grams of carbs without a bun, 30 to 40 grams with. (Depending on which bun you're ditching). You've got options.

DEBAND

Doctors an dieticians are usually a bit behind the times, going with the EatWell plate still... For cutting edge stuff, you'll want to read Dr. Jason Fung and the Dietdoctor.com website. EatWell is fine if you're healthy, but not if you're a T2, who can't process carbs out again. Like I said, practically all carbs are turned into glucose. That is, glucose is sugar, that goes straight into your bloodstream. It sands away at your veins, eyes, kidneys etc, so you want to keep your bloodsugar in the non-diabetic range (between 4.5 and 8.5-ish). Not to mention some of it being stored as fat on your liver, and making things that much worse. To lower bloodsugars, you lower your carb intake. That's all carbs. Sugar is a carb, yes, but so are starches.

What not to eat:
Spuds, rice, corn, cereal, bread, pasta, legumes, fruits (save for a few berries, cherry-tomatoes and avocado). Anything with breading, made with oats or whatever, is carby and will make your bloodsugar spike.

What to eat:
Above-ground veggies/leafy greens, meat, fish, cheese, real butter/ghee, nuts, eggs, double cream, full fat greek yoghurt, mayo, avocado, extra dark chocolate.

When in a pinch and you're stuck out with no other options, just go for McDonalds. seriously. Just order a burger without the bun. It's 5 grams of carbs without a bun, 30 to 40 grams with. (Depending on which bun you're ditching). You've got options.
That is very helpful indeed, thanks at least I know why I can eat and cannot eat, if possible could you add what to eat and what not to eat as this will give me even more scope as to prepare meals.

I use sweetners, are they ok, and what milk should I use? thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree completely with the others. Obviously you need to cut out sugar, but also it is essential you seriously reduce all carbohydrate. Fat will not raise your blood sugar levels. It is something it just not do, but carbs certainly do. Start frying foods again - bacon, eggs, mushrooms, eggs and so on. Avoid vegetable oils as much as possible and use real fats such as butter, lard, duck/goose fat etc. Basically fats that solidify when cold. Bacon and eggs make an excellent meal, combined with mushrooms, a tomato and a high meat content sausage (97% meat is good). Put butter on your veggies instead of gravy (gravy is carby). Do have a good read of the dietdoctor website. You will find lots of delicious recipes and a list of good foods and foods to avoid.

Please, please buy a meter - this will become your best friend and will show you instantly which foods your body reacts badly to.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very helpful indeed, thanks at least I know why I can eat and cannot eat, if possible could you add what to eat and what not to eat as this will give me even more scope as to prepare meals.

I use sweetners, are they ok, and what milk should I use? thanks.
There's a load of recepies on dietdoctor.com , all of them low carb. That should help. Milk has lactose in it, which are milksugars. So if you do use it, use full fat, not the skimmed kind. As for sweeteners, it depends... Most would vote no on those. And considering I had them a lot and they killed off all my gut-bacteria, causing serious pain and bleeding before discovering what the problem was, and I'm still healing quite a while later, well... Not a fan of sweeteners. But that's up to you.