1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What glucose most sugar but least fattening ?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by RoDnEyBoY, Dec 8, 2014.

1. RoDnEyBoY

RoDnEyBoY Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Evening,

I am on a bit of a health kick at the moment trying to shift some timber .

Trouble is until I get sorted I'm experiencing a few lows here and there nothing serious but just thought i'd ask what do you good people use to treat lows without kicking in major calories?

RoDnEyBoY.

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I think there are a variety of things including jelly babies, cans of coke, lucozade etc.....

I'll bump your post up for a reply.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Honestly, if you are dealing with a low, the usual recommendations are glucose tablets (Detrosols, Lucozades (91% carbs, 82% sugars) or coke or Lucozade. Some people eat Jelly Babies or Jelly Beans. Basically, anything that is 90 odd percent carbs and very high in sugar is your best bet.

By their nature, they are "high in calories", but the trick is to only eat what you require to pull out of the low. The NHS advice is to follow this up with something with slower acting carbs, and again, portion size is what drives the amount of calories more than anything.

On a slightly different note, have you looked at a low carb diet? This does help with maintenance of blood sugars and makes it easier to deal with.

• Like Like x 3
  4. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Actually, I disagree, there are only 4 calories per gram of carbs/ glucose so aren't really high calorie
    One brand of dextrose tablet has 3g of glucose per tablet. that's only 12 calories.
    It's exactly the same for anything that is just glucose 4calories per gram.
    If you need to take 15 g of carbs then that would be 5 tablets @ 60 calories. A 150ml can of coke contains 15.9g carbs for 63 calories.
    The amount of carbs you need will depend on you and the hypo. I rarely need to take more than 2 dextrose tablets so just 24 calories; but that's me.

If you at anything with any fat or protein it would higher in calories and wouldn't work as well (4g for every gram of protein, 9 gram for every gram of fat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Llinz04

Llinz04 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I had the same problem when I first started,

I solved this by snacking on fruits, but taking about one of the glucose tablets first (depending on how low you are) , fruits like bananas or apples. Low calorie and a health benefit :)

6. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

It all depends what diabetes you have!
    Everything that has been recommended is T1 with a few exceptions.
    T2s need only a small amount of carbs or they will go hyper especially with the likes of lucozade or glucose tablets.
    If I have a hypo I treat with one digestive biscuit and a cup of strong black, no sugar tea. This will raise BSLs gradually with no hyper to get under control.

7. Farrowlily

Farrowlily Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wish that would work for me type two but on insulin I normally use dextrose tabs but have had jelly babies for a change just find it really hard not to eat everything in sight more restraint needed

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook