What glucose most sugar but least fattening ?

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
Evening,

I am on a bit of a health kick at the moment trying to shift some timber .

Trouble is until I get sorted I'm experiencing a few lows here and there nothing serious but just thought i'd ask what do you good people use to treat lows without kicking in major calories?

RoDnEyBoY.

C

catherinecherub

I think there are a variety of things including jelly babies, cans of coke, lucozade etc.....

I'll bump your post up for a reply.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Honestly, if you are dealing with a low, the usual recommendations are glucose tablets (Detrosols, Lucozades (91% carbs, 82% sugars) or coke or Lucozade. Some people eat Jelly Babies or Jelly Beans. Basically, anything that is 90 odd percent carbs and very high in sugar is your best bet.

By their nature, they are "high in calories", but the trick is to only eat what you require to pull out of the low. The NHS advice is to follow this up with something with slower acting carbs, and again, portion size is what drives the amount of calories more than anything.

On a slightly different note, have you looked at a low carb diet? This does help with maintenance of blood sugars and makes it easier to deal with.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually, I disagree, there are only 4 calories per gram of carbs/ glucose so aren't really high calorie
One brand of dextrose tablet has 3g of glucose per tablet. that's only 12 calories.
It's exactly the same for anything that is just glucose 4calories per gram.
If you need to take 15 g of carbs then that would be 5 tablets @ 60 calories. A 150ml can of coke contains 15.9g carbs for 63 calories.
The amount of carbs you need will depend on you and the hypo. I rarely need to take more than 2 dextrose tablets so just 24 calories; but that's me.

If you at anything with any fat or protein it would higher in calories and wouldn't work as well (4g for every gram of protein, 9 gram for every gram of fat.

Reactions: 2 people

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I had the same problem when I first started,

I solved this by snacking on fruits, but taking about one of the glucose tablets first (depending on how low you are) , fruits like bananas or apples. Low calorie and a health benefit :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It all depends what diabetes you have!
Everything that has been recommended is T1 with a few exceptions.
T2s need only a small amount of carbs or they will go hyper especially with the likes of lucozade or glucose tablets.
If I have a hypo I treat with one digestive biscuit and a cup of strong black, no sugar tea. This will raise BSLs gradually with no hyper to get under control.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wish that would work for me type two but on insulin I normally use dextrose tabs but have had jelly babies for a change just find it really hard not to eat everything in sight more restraint needed