"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@SlimLizzy
Sorry but I think I missed about your travels. Why a motor home?, are you heading back to France? And a million other questions...

@Annb have you met baby Rue yet? Any pictures?

@shelley262 I love Cooper!

Yes, I have met Rue a couple of times, but, although I'm sure there must already be hundreds of pictures of her, I don't have any. I never seem to think of photos when I could get them.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quieter start here today. I woke around 6.00 am (result) tweaks to pups safe place worked so #chewgate not repeated - result #2. Since I see most of the world through a cricket lens it is astonishing this has taken so long. You guys all seem to bat right handed and find LCHF/Keto nice easy inswing. I bat left handed so it is all the more difficult away swing. All the angles are different for me plus I'm all about the textbook style and my average. It is always about how as much as how many.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am SO tempted. It says suitable for 7-15 litre pots though. My IP is 6 litre so I guess it wouldn’t be suitable ( and no, I’m not getting an 8l one no matter what a bargain they are lol)

I'm positive I have seen others use it in their 6ltrs.

I have the IP Sous Vide Wand. They all look very similar, and apart from the Annova (I think), which has a bluetooth connection, they perform a simple task - heating water to a specific temperature and keeping it there. The also have a small propellor in then to circulate the water to ensure even temperatures.

However, the purpose of this post is to say I use a storage box from Wilko as the "bath", and use an IKEA silicone lid to cover most of the top, to keep the temperature in and minimise condensation of the water. It works perfectly.

Whilst I don't know what the dimensions of this box are, it looks good, and it looks like the cop could easily have a hole cut in it to accommodate the wand body

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-modular-20l-storage-box-with-lid/p/0449322

As well as "proper" cooking I have used the tools to infuse liquids - alcohol, most recently I did some confit garlic which provided the intensely buttery garlic cloves you could easily spread on toast, but also rich garlic oil.

Just peel as many garlic bulbs and cloves as you want to make, add them to a zip lock or vacuum bag, and seal. Drop into your bath, heat to 88c (has to be quite hot for food safety reasons) and leave for 8-12 hours. For me, that meant overnight.

There is no smell from cooking as everything is sealed in.

(Confit garlic based on this:
)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I believe @bulkbiker has something similar. Maybe he'll drop by to fill us in on his set-up?
I just use a saucepan of whatever size.. my sous vide stick is the Anova but I'm sure they are all pretty similar.
It shouldn't overheat the water ...if your pan is smaller... just make it cheaper to run.

Edit to add.. just checked and mine is 1200W too and is fine to heat a large cooler box with about 20 litres of water so...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 (where does that road go BTW?) sympathy for the leftovers. Rightly or wrongly we have never really used them. For 15 years they went to our dogs (careful with the pups just yet), compost or, for about 20+ yrs, 3 very large sons. In normal times Nos 1 and 3 sons will fridge raid on entry. @DJC3 you are fooling no one about the sous vide - I remember someone saying they couldn't possibly fit an IP in their kitchen. Somewhere in a box we have a spare as the new oven has that function. Good trip to Newmarket today to collect Julie's new specs - Starbucks had pouring cream today. Saw plenty of the amazing, sleek racehorses being exercised. I was much taller than most of the folk there and a market stall had 8 avos for £1.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 (where does that road go BTW?) sympathy for the leftovers. Rightly or wrongly we have never really used them. For 15 years they went to our dogs (careful with the pups just yet), compost or, for about 20+ yrs, 3 very large sons. In normal times Nos 1 and 3 sons will fridge raid on entry. @DJC3 you are fooling no one about the sous vide - I remember someone saying they couldn't possibly fit an IP in their kitchen. Somewhere in a box we have a spare as the new oven has that function. Good trip to Newmarket today to collect Julie's new specs - Starbucks had pouring cream today. Saw plenty of the amazing, sleek racehorses being exercised. I was much taller than most of the folk there and a market stall had 8 avos for £1.

Do you want to sell your sous vide stick or are you keeping it as back up? I’m interested if you do
8 for £1 avocados is a reason to be cheerful. ( more so than the smile of a parrot)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the input @DCUKMod and @bulkbiker ,are you both of the opinion it’d be ok to put the sous vide stick into my 6l IP then?Would there be enough room for the water to circulate do you think? ( I really haven’t got room for a big 20l storage box and if I kept it in the garage it’d just get covered with mould like everything in the damp SW)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you want to sell your sous vide stick or are you keeping it as back up? I’m interested if you do
8 for £1 avocados is a reason to be cheerful. ( more so than the smile of a parrot)
If we ever find the Sous Vide it is a chunky box one. I imagine one of the 2 boys here will lay claim to it when they can help us arrange this place as we want. I can see times when I Julie may use two. If only I knew someone who liked avos.:angelic: That stall was rather spiffing - in Newmarket every Tuesday. In front of Starbucks and my favourite clothes shop while COVID is here.:):)

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the input @DCUKMod and @bulkbiker ,are you both of the opinion it’d be ok to put the sous vide stick into my 6l IP then?Would there be enough room for the water to circulate do you think? ( I really haven’t got room for a big 20l storage box and if I kept it in the garage it’d just get covered with mould like everything in the damp SW)

I'd be happy to use mine the 6ltr inner. I just never have, to be honest. I think @maglil55 has a SV too. Well, she has everything else, non? :)

The only reason the water circulates is to ensure consistent temperature in the whole bath. The new IP Evos have a SV function, but to be honest it's just like a very flexible (in terms of temp and time) keep warm function

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends what the size of what you are cooking is really.. providing there's enough room for the water to circulate then yes otherwise just get a bigger straight sided saucepan. Or anything will work... even a plastic storage box.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've spent the afternoon making a Christmas Pie - based, quite loosely on a Yorkshire Christmas Pye - a very old recipe which uses various kinds of game in a pie with herbs and spices. I just liked the idea of doing it. In all these years of cooking and baking, I've never made hot water crust pastry. Thought about it, but thought it would be a difficult pastry to make. So, today was the day. The pastry looks absolutely fine and fairly appetising. The filling is skinned duck breast, skinned chicken breast, turkey breast steaks, fatty bacon and pork sausage meat. I also added some cranberries and sour cherries. The original is only meat, no veg and no sausage meat. I will top it up with chicken stock (jellied) tomorrow, as if it were a pork pie (also not in the original). I just reached the stage when I had to do it. Shan't eat it, of course, although once it is cut, I might have some of the filling. Something else for No 2 son's larder. He can put it in his freezer and use it for supper on Christmas day, or Boxing day. The pastry, in fact, was very easy to make, but difficult to handle once it cooled down. It had to be worked quickly to keep it pliable. Smells good!

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've spent the afternoon making a Christmas Pie - based, quite loosely on a Yorkshire Christmas Pye - a very old recipe which uses various kinds of game in a pie with herbs and spices. I just liked the idea of doing it. In all these years of cooking and baking, I've never made hot water crust pastry. Thought about it, but thought it would be a difficult pastry to make. So, today was the day. The pastry looks absolutely fine and fairly appetising. The filling is skinned duck breast, skinned chicken breast, turkey breast steaks, fatty bacon and pork sausage meat. I also added some cranberries and sour cherries. The original is only meat, no veg and no sausage meat. I will top it up with chicken stock (jellied) tomorrow, as if it were a pork pie (also not in the original). I just reached the stage when I had to do it. Shan't eat it, of course, although once it is cut, I might have some of the filling. Something else for No 2 son's larder. He can put it in his freezer and use it for supper on Christmas day, or Boxing day. The pastry, in fact, was very easy to make, but difficult to handle once it cooled down. It had to be worked quickly to keep it pliable. Smells good!

That sounds fabulous! I’ve made pork pies with hot water crust before and I agree, you really do need to work it while it’s hot. I bet it smelled good as it was baking too.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2
hi, we live in France and are temporarily in UK for MrSlims work. It has been impossible to rent anywhere furnished, unless it's just a room in a shared house - Neither of us are keen on that idea. Also most tenancies are for six months and we only need three, or four.
As we have a fully winterised motorhome seemed a good plan to use that. Cosy with the central heating on and flexible in location. Currently parked on a friends land with electric hookup. However MrSlim needs a bigger desk so some mòdifications are planned.
Wow, quite an adventure, especially at this time of year, brrr!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 (where does that road go BTW?)
The A2 starts in Central London and runs south east through Kent, becoming the M2 for a while but then becomes A2 again for Canterbury down to Dover. Was much travelled in in my youth on way to camping holidays in Europe.
But its nothing to do with my username.:happy: I started as MrsA but lost the password and had to sign up again, so nothing as exotic as a highway to adventure, sorry