"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our local butcher has had a limited stock of this wagyu score 3 rib fillet steak @ $65.00 a kg.

It's like going to the races, odds on, look on I'm afraid.

To rich for me although I would like some..

rIWB16v.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Our local butcher has had a limited stock of this wagyu score 3 rib fillet steak @ $65.00 a kg.

It's like going to the races, odds on, look on I'm afraid.

To rich for me although I would like some..

rIWB16v.jpg

A bit pricey but it looks wonderful. My new dietician would be horrified at the amount of fat. To be honest, I don't like beef fat anyway but it does improve the flavour to keep it in during the cooking. At $65 a kilo, it's expensive fat to cut off though. Must admit, I've never tried wagyu beef but I hear it is really special.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breathlessness was really bad yesterday - just walking out to the car was exhausting! Also had to go from the car to the pharmacy (just a few steps) and that finished me for the day. Not quite so bad today, so maybe it's on its way out again. I saw an item on a news programme about long covid and sense of smell and realised that I still can't smell coffee or flowers, or the scent of the sea in a sea urchin smell, which Em could identify. But I can smell a kind of burning oil smell in the car - Neil thinks it is something to do with the air filter, so it is a real smell.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I thought I’d better reply here rather than the other thread. Well done for still walking at home and watching the downpour from indoors! Dennis and I were very cosy with the woodburner going, and Paul was very happy to see it when he came in wet from work. Talking of dogs have you seen Cooper recently?
Thanks very much for the Adele Hite recommendation - the name was familiar and I realised later it’s because she’s joined the DD team. I listened to the podcast you mentioned, and although I fell asleep before the end ( I was listening in bed) a couple of the points she raised were very good I thought. One thing was that the population now gets its dietary advice from food packaging. She’s right! Since we have introduced dietary guidelines, manufactures can tweak the label until it fits however loosely into a ‘healthy’ green light category of one or other nutrients. Then they can make all sorts of claims for it. Most people don’t have the time or inclination to look up scientific research, so innocently believe the product labelling. It’s scandalous.
@Riva_Roxaban that wagyu ( autocorrect changed to to wagging) beef looks fabulous. I’d love to try some but like you the price has always made my eyes water a bit.
@Annb I hope the breathlessness improves, it does sound like a long Covid symptom from what I’ve read. Especially as your sense of smell still hasn’t returned properly. My daughter said that coffee and many other things smelled like mould when she was affected so she just couldn’t go near it. She’s over it now happily and back to enjoying her morning cuppa.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I thought I’d better reply here rather than the other thread. Well done for still walking at home and watching the downpour from indoors! Dennis and I were very cosy with the woodburner going, and Paul was very happy to see it when he came in wet from work. Talking of dogs have you seen Cooper recently?
Thanks very much for the Adele Hite recommendation - the name was familiar and I realised later it’s because she’s joined the DD team. I listened to the podcast you mentioned, and although I fell asleep before the end ( I was listening in bed) a couple of the points she raised were very good I thought. One thing was that the population now gets its dietary advice from food packaging. She’s right! Since we have introduced dietary guidelines, manufactures can tweak the label until it fits however loosely into a ‘healthy’ green light category of one or other nutrients. Then they can make all sorts of claims for it. Most people don’t have the time or inclination to look up scientific research, so innocently believe the product labelling. It’s scandalous.
@Riva_Roxaban that wagyu ( autocorrect changed to to wagging) beef looks fabulous. I’d love to try some but like you the price has always made my eyes water a bit.
@Annb I hope the breathlessness improves, it does sound like a long Covid symptom from what I’ve read. Especially as your sense of smell still hasn’t returned properly. My daughter said that coffee and many other things smelled like mould when she was affected so she just couldn’t go near it. She’s over it now happily and back to enjoying her morning cuppa.
@DJC3 funnily enough Cooper is in Cornwall this week staying in Polzeath with h and L and her parents having wonderful time I gather. Cooper was looked after by her parents today while H and L biked down the Camelford Trail ride to Padstow today. laurence bringing Cooper over to ours next week for the day and hopefully a forest walk - I’m crossing fingers. Lovely day today weather wise but caring day at Ns lots of indoor stuff to do. X

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I listened to the Adele Hite podcast too, and one by Tucker somebody. Both very good but I do find it difficult to extract and retain the info from this solely audible method. I'm much better with visuals and the odd PowerPoint or other diagram too.
Another worth listening too and watching on YouTube is Dr Lucy Burns, an Australian.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I listened to the Adele Hite podcast too, and one by Tucker somebody. Both very good but I do find it difficult to extract and retain the info from this solely audible method. I'm much better with visuals and the odd PowerPoint or other diagram too.
Another worth listening too and watching on YouTube is Dr Lucy Burns, an Australian.
@MrsA2 thank you I’ll look out Dr Lucy Burns. I particularly like audio because I can walk around and or do other stuff while I’m listening I don’t like sitting and watching as much !
Edit just searched on Spotify and downloaded a few Lucy burns podcasts something to look forward to thank you

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 funnily enough Cooper is in Cornwall this week staying in Polzeath with h and L and her parents having wonderful time I gather. Cooper was looked after by her parents today while H and L biked down the Camelford Trail ride to Padstow today. laurence bringing Cooper over to ours next week for the day and hopefully a forest walk - I’m crossing fingers. Lovely day today weather wise but caring day at Ns lots of indoor stuff to do. X

Ahh they aren’t too far away from us! I wonder what he and Dennis would make if eachother? I bet they’d have the time of their lives.
Keeping fingers crossed for next week’s forest walk and fair weather.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh they aren’t too far away from us! I wonder what he and Dennis would make if eachother? I bet they’d have the time of their lives.
Keeping fingers crossed for next week’s forest walk and fair weather.
Bet they would shame we are not down there too.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit pricey but it looks wonderful. My new dietician would be horrified at the amount of fat. To be honest, I don't like beef fat anyway but it does improve the flavour to keep it in during the cooking. At $65 a kilo, it's expensive fat to cut off though. Must admit, I've never tried wagyu beef but I hear it is really special.
Beef fat makes good dripping thoughl, either on tast or cooking chips with, as you say it is expensive waste if you can't eat it.

Makes my eyes bleed, prices like that for food, good job I have never a tried a proper truffle or the have seen how much they cost..

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got to the oncology unit a bit early for my appointment, as St John's tranport picked me up early. Had a about half hour to wait before I was called into the unit. A friendly nurse got me sorted out adjusting the chair I was sitting to make it comfortable so I was not fidgetting about.

As it's cold in the unit a nice warm blanket from the hot box to cover me up. I only had the one bag of blood all though they said I was nearly close enough (borderline) for a second one.

Only ate half a wrap I took up there with some other stuff to eat, had a couple of cups of coffee as well.

So all good for a couple of months...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The shopping on Tuesday cost about half as much again as usual. Nothing notably more expensive, just overall cost was more. I have to get a new kitchen waste bin but to buy one the same as my last one (a 30L Brabantia stainless steel pedal bin) it would cost about £125 - £75 more than the first one. That was a good few years ago though. Don't think I'll bother getting another one the same - in many ways plastic is better. Not so flashy but easier to keep clean.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to get a new kitchen waste bin but to buy one the same as my last one (a 30L Brabantia stainless steel pedal bin) it would cost about £125 - £75 more than the first one. That was a good few years ago though. Don't think I'll bother getting another one the same - in many ways plastic is better. Not so flashy but easier to keep clean.
We bought a plastic kitchen rubbish bin a good many years ago for less than $20.00, still going strong today although the manual lift lid is getting loose.

I would post a pix of it but there are Toyota car stickers on with profanities on it from a advertising campaign years ago as well. I must not break forum rules and eros, been told by @Antje77 not to.:D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would post a pix of it but there are Toyota car stickers on with profanities on it from a advertising campaign years ago as well. I must not break forum rules and eros, been told by @Antje77 not to.:D
Forum eros, hmmm. Not sure our ethos is prepared for something like that...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We bought a plastic kitchen rubbish bin a good many years ago for less than $20.00,
I'm astounded by the costs of rubbish bins, I had no idea!
I must admit I've never looked into buying a rubbish bin as I keep inheriting them. I must have at least 4 rubbish bins!
But if I ever need another one I think I'll just ask in one of those give it away groups on Facebook if someone has a spare. Or if I'm really in a spending mood I might pay 3 euros at the thrift store.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil came back from town with a new Brabantia bin - another 30L one but this time with a "soft close" lid. Metallic kind of beige finish. It was on special offer at £70. A bargain, although it wasn't what I had intended. It's a bit taller than the original one and, unfortunately, the lid hits the underside of the work surface when it opens, (it has its own little niche beside the dishwasher and sink) but I don't suppose it will do too much harm.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
On the aforementioned work surface I have the metal fitting for an industrial tin opener (I used to do a lot of catering and occasionally needed large tins of eg tomatoes but my arthritic wrists couldn't handle a domestic tin opener). It fits through a hole in the work surface, so I can't get it taken out without taking out the work surface as well. The new bin lid has dented itself on the underside part of the fitting. I don't think Neil is very pleased and he has put a couple of felt pads on the lid to protect it. It didn't take long to damage it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 2 am. I was feeling very tired and went to bed about 11 pm. Although still tired, I had to get up at 1.30 and take some Co-codamol - knees are killing me; a combination of arthritis and restless legs. Plus breathlessness. Once it sorts itself out, I might go back to bed for a bit.

I'm hoping Neil will go back to the shops this morning to replace the big pot of yoghurt that I've had to throw out. My sister in law, down south, buys the same yoghurt and, apparently, they have had problems with the tubs being fragile. They have their weekly shop delivered by Asda and have had no trouble getting replacements. It may have been simply that the pot was fragile and the seal damaged, or it may have been deliberately done by someone. We'll all be keeping our eyes open in future.

Knees beginning to feel a bit better so I'll probably go back to bed in about half an hour, once the improvement is well established.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb, I'll answer your question about youngest grandson here. He's not been lacking in attention. If anything, I believe there has been an overcompensation in attention while dealing with his brother's anxiety.
He's always been a very headstrong child and is prone to tantrums if he doesn't get his own way. My son was dreadful at always having to have the last word but grandson takes it to a whole new level. It doesn't help that there are limited means to discipline children in school and don't they know it! The root of everything is school. His first 2 years were marred by this other child he knew from nursery days. The manager of the nursery warned the school not to put them in the same class (more than once) but they did. This child was a master at instigating trouble but not getting caught because he adopted a "butter wouldn't melt" look. Trouble is, youngest was so keen to get on with everyone, he kept getting involved but he was getting caught! Eventually, the school twigged the cause of the issues in that class and moved that other child out. He now spends most of his time in a behavioural class and is only in school part time. Moving him led to a good year last year when he got all these certificates and we believed he'd learned good behaviour brings rewards. No such luck! Lockdown seems to have reversed everything. They split one of the classes in their year between the other two, with the result there are now 31 in his class (due to staff shortages). Now we have another child in the class in the same mold as the one that was moved. This one is a mystery to me. To be honest, in my time this child would have been a target for the bullies but, instead, he seems to hold sway over the entire class and dictates who they should play with/sit with and He's telling them don't sit with/play with grandson. He is ending up being isolated but He's making matters worse firstly, by trying too hard to be friends then secondly, lashing out when it doesn't work. We've told the school what is going on but grandson has to learn too that he has to behave as he is the only one getting caught. I've made all the allowances I'm prepared to even although I understand He's young and He's unhappy. His cheek and behaviour with us and his family is off the scale which is why I plonked him down last week and told him quietly and firmly this is how it will be. Basically, if you behave badly and give out cheek you will lose your lolly & program when at my house. It will not be for a set period of time, instead it will be until you can show polite and respectful treatment of others. Do it again, same thing happens. He lost them last week, improved for a day and got them back but then was appalling again. I don't argue with him. He knows the consequences and what is required. He still has a tantrum about it but all he is told is you knew this would happen - no ifs no buts.
The issue at school astonished me. Teachers are not allowed to put a hand on a child except where is becomes necessary to break up a fight if there is a risk of one or more being seriously injured. Our problem last week was grandson took a toy into school which I knew would likely prove troublesome. I questioned it as "I thought you were not supposed to take toys into school?" Got the usual response and it's not worth disagreeing as it would just cause a full blown tantrum while trying to walk the last part to school. Not surprisingly, it panned out exactly as I thought. He used it in class to be deliberately disruptive, refused to hand it over to any teacher and the teachers cannot take it off them as they live in fear of the other type of parent who would be right down to school screaming and the teacher and demanding they are dealt with because they dared to take their little darling's toy away. The other issue was as well as being disruptive he was also refusing to do his work in class.
I had a chat with his teacher and explained to her that I understand the way his mind works. Firstly, his Mum is searching him before he leaves but that child is a master at managing to smuggle things in. It has been made clear to him that if he does take anything in that shouldn't be there it will be confiscated and the teachers have the permission of all of us to do it. Next, if he refuses to work just tell him fine, it will go home with you and you can do it at home. Don't get involved and if he tries to object ignore it. This is another consequence he's been informed of. It's his choice, either you do the work in school or it comes home and you do it as soon as you come in (so it eats into playing etc). I've also told teacher not to remove him from the classroom unless it becomes dangerous but normally any tantrum dies down without attention. On the second day there was no tantrum in school - I got it instead in the car because I was taking them to collect their Mum before I took them home. He wanted to go straight home to play and was told no because I have to collect Mum and you will be doing the work you didn't do in school before anything else.
It's tough, but it is showing signs of working and believe me it is very, very tough not to argue back. I'm working on his brother as well not to argue with him or retaliate. He older and if he retaliates his brother thinks it's OK too.
Sorry it's such a long reply but it pretty much lets you know what we're up against. If we can resolve the discipline aspect in school I'm sure his attitude will change because he is disciplined at home. School has not changed for the better in my opinion!