"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got our weekly grocery shopping delivered, noticed we got hoggett shoulder chops instead of lamb, not complaining though as they taste better.

In other news, the Blue Care nurse who does the wound dressing on my leg was saying that six carer staff at one of their nursing homes were suspended without pay for failing to have got covid vaccinated. They refused to get it apparently, and they were told get a jab by next week or they will be terminated.

That's a shame for them and maybe they have a very good reason for not being vaccinated. Still, I understand the authority's response to their refusal. There should be some give and take on both sides of the argument. I suppose, in a way, it's much the same as not being allowed to drive if you don't have a license.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
More bad news - my (elderly but youthful) aunt just phoned to let me know that doctors have just told her that when they removed her kidney with its tumour, in October they didn't get all the cancerous cells and the remaining ones have multiplied. The cancer is now incurable. She has no idea how long she has left although some kind of tablets have been prescribed - which won't be available for a fortnight for some reason. The hope is to slow the cancer down but not to cure. Poor Auntie M - she lost her husband, then her son and then her daughter over the last year or so and there are few people left who can support her. I'm hundreds of miles away so the only support I can offer is over the phone.

That was the same surgery that my brother underwent yesterday. I can only hope for a better outcome for him.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They did imply to my brother that the kidney removal was a quick and easy job with keyhole surgery. Maybe it was, but the recovery isn't as straightforward as we all expected. He was operated on yesterday morning and is still in ITU with tubes and wires all over the place - can't speak because of the tube in his throat. It all sounds a lot worse than we thought.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a shame for them and maybe they have a very good reason for not being vaccinated. Still, I understand the authority's response to their refusal. There should be some give and take on both sides of the argument. I suppose, in a way, it's much the same as not being allowed to drive if you don't have a license.
The people involved are / were caring for elderly patients some them wee not vaccinated. They had plenty of time to get vaccinated, but like a lot of people feel that it is all about "me" and being entitled to disregard the instructions.

My former employees all got their covid vaccinations as soon as they become available for essential workers (electricians), no complaining with them at all about their human rights etc. They were off work for a couple of weeks while the government was sorting out who was essential or not, but took holiday time to keep the money coming in.

You can get into a lot of strife if you are driving unlicenced here, especially if you have an accident. :arghh:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really food that has been eaten, but we were given a set of Social Distance fridge magnet yesterday by a friend.

The GP surgery were selling them to donate money to the Vietnam Vets / Men's Shed.

qxKltLA.jpg

Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Slightly better news about my brother. Doctors hope to remove some of the tubes tomorrow and transfer him to the high dependency unit. He's still very ill but he is tough old character and we have hope that he will come through this unscathed, now. Still worries for the future, but we'll set them aside for now and hope to get him over this part first.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The people involved are / were caring for elderly patients some them wee not vaccinated. They had plenty of time to get vaccinated, but like a lot of people feel that it is all about "me" and being entitled to disregard the instructions.

My former employees all got their covid vaccinations as soon as they become available for essential workers (electricians), no complaining with them at all about their human rights etc. They were off work for a couple of weeks while the government was sorting out who was essential or not, but took holiday time to keep the money coming in.

You can get into a lot of strife if you are driving unlicenced here, especially if you have an accident. :arghh:

You can get into a lot of trouble here too, for driving without a licence but I was thinking more of someone who drives for a living and loses that licence due to some misdemeanor, or health issue. They then have to lose their job and there's no doubt about it. I think, unless there is some very good reason why someone should not be vaccinated, that refusal to take the vaccination makes a person unavailable to work in the job of carer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My brother goes in to hospital to have his procedure to remove his problem kidney today. Oddly, I spoke to an elderly aunt yesterday (we've been out of touch for a while) who told me that she had the exact same operation done last October. Nobody had thought to tell me that. Anyhow, she came through it very well and has recovered well. Gives me hope for my brother.

My sister-in-law had to go for a consultation about replacing her previously replace knee joint and was told that the waiting list is about 4 years long. Can't think why they bothered to do the consultation - unless it's to meet some kind of target, or perhaps to get her on the list at all. She's 85, so whether there's any point or not, we don't know. Perhaps there is - DIL's granny was told 7 years ago that the waiting list for her eye surgery was 18 months so she told them not to bother since she was 99 at the time and didn't expect to live to come to the top of the list. This is the lady who died a couple of weeks ago at the age of almost 107! But, of course, she never did go onto the list.
My sister in law has been waiting years for a prolapse and a hernia op. She finally was called in for a pre - op check up. Trouble is she still hasn't been summoned for the op. The pre-op checks were 6 months ago when my brother was still with us. If she ever gets a date they'll have to be done again. I was hearing today that repeat steroid injections for acute pain has a waiting time of 3 - 4 years currently instead of twice a year. Goodness knows how they stand it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Thanks for tag and hugs for the kind words. I've been missing everyone a lot, was just a bit burned out -- though feeling a bit better now. I am really hoping we'll be getting back to normal the semester after this, but who knows. What's been going on with you? I am sure I've missed a lot of news.

@shelley262 -- It's good to see you again. Still remember the fun times we had at @Goonergal's birthday. I've often thought we might repeat something similar again -- but the possibility of this still seems some time off.

Anyway, I am glad to be back -- I have missed you all bunches.
Nice to hear from you again @ziggy_w.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So they've decided it's zappable? Less invasive too. So glad you have a early date.

They have to ‘invade’ to remove the stent and the stone will be zapped internally :nailbiting:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They have to ‘invade’ to remove the stent and the stone will be zapped internally :nailbiting:
No matter how they'll do the trick, it's all about the result!
But I still fully agree with your chosen emoji. :wideyed:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck on Thursday. Cheer yourself with the thought when you awaken the nasty stone will be gone! I agree with @Antje77 on that.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to say that my brother has been transferred to an ordinary ward now although he still feels pretty awful and is bloated, so feels unable to eat - that must be because they introduce air to make organs part slightly and make access easier for the surgeon. At least they feel that he needs less intensive care now, so that's a good sign, I should think.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose we have to expect my brother's case to yo-yo a bit - which is what it has done today. He texted his wife at 4.30 this morning to tell her he thought he was dying! She phoned the hospital several times to get them to check him, but the phone wasn't answered until 8 am when they told her that his vital signs were all fine. He texted because he still can't speak, even though the tube is no longer in his throat. It doesn't sound as though the care in the non ICU ward is very good. I suspect that they are short staffed, which, in itself, is worrying.

Edited to add: this is all contrary to what I was told in last night's e-mail.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pre op assessment in the morning, looking forward to the questions on type 2 control and LC diet! When I was admitted last time, as soon as I mentioned type 2 the nurse said, “oh what insulin are you on?”!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre op assessment in the morning, looking forward to the questions on type 2 control and LC diet! When I was admitted last time, as soon as I mentioned type 2 the nurse said, “oh what insulin are you on?”!
Hiya @Rachox just wanted to send you a hug for your pre op tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. It’s amazing isn’t it how you are expected to just slowly progress towards insulin rather than trying to manage with the way you eat or not eat in the case of hospital food !
Hope goes well and that Thursdays operation all goes as plan and gets you back to wellness take care x

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose we have to expect my brother's case to yo-yo a bit - which is what it has done today. He texted his wife at 4.30 this morning to tell her he thought he was dying! She phoned the hospital several times to get them to check him, but the phone wasn't answered until 8 am when they told her that his vital signs were all fine. He texted because he still can't speak, even though the tube is no longer in his throat. It doesn't sound as though the care in the non ICU ward is very good. I suspect that they are short staffed, which, in itself, is worrying.

Edited to add: this is all contrary to what I was told in last night's e-mail.

He's a bit better this afternoon. He "says" (still can't speak - possibly due to revisitation of migraine he grew out of years ago), he might just have wished he was dying and couldn't get any attention from nurses despite pressing the buzzer so in desperation he texted his wife. Turns out there were only 2 nurses on to cover several wards. It happens, but it's not good. Anyway, a slight improvement.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got to go and get some more blood tests today, blood counts, iron etc, there has been a bit of blood showing up again when I go to the toilet.

So may need another transfusion / infusion at the oncology unit at the base hospital. If I do I am going to take my own food into eat this time instead of theirs. The coffee is good and plentiful though.:D

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
He's a bit better this afternoon. He "says" (still can't speak - possibly due to revisitation of migraine he grew out of years ago), he might just have wished he was dying and couldn't get any attention from nurses despite pressing the buzzer so in desperation he texted his wife. Turns out there were only 2 nurses on to cover several wards. It happens, but it's not good. Anyway, a slight improvement.

Much better news! Now that he's had all the tubes removed and no longer being fed with analgaesics, he's doing his normal thing of bouncing back and insisting on getting home. He says, if his wife doesn't bring his clothes tomorrow, he'll just get himself home in his pyjamas! When he had his heart valve operation, 42 years ago, he was taken to a convalescent hospital for a 6 week recovery. He signed himself out after 3 weeks and went back to work. That's the way he goes about his life. I'm relieved anyway.