1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zauberflote, Nov 9, 2020.

1. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

I save my M&S vouchers for the Christmas Dinner!

• Like Like x 2
  2. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

I love tripe! I make the Italian version - trippa alla Romano. A different version to the recipe on your site. It's mostly OK but I don't add black olives. I add chilli and some beans such as barletta, black eyed, cannellini. Whatever I have available. It's horribly difficult to get here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's good to know, I may visit one day and I can be sure not to get served the stuff as I detest tripe. :(

That was put here as a funny pix from years ago, I just updated the link to the current website.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

When I enquired at my GP surgery the receptionist said that the health board would be writing out to me to arrange probably for flu and covid booster to be done at same time at one of the vaccination centres - did you get yours at your gp surgery?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

I mentioned on the other thread that Hubby had both flu and 3rd Covid on Wednesday. I still don't have my appointment but I said there was no way I was having both the same day. Hubby asked them about splitting the jabs but he didn't think to tell them I didn't want them at the same time because I had a mild allergic reaction to both covid vaccinations. He was told that if I can't be convinced to have both on the same day it will be nigh on impossible to rebook the other jab (that booking system is hopeless) so have the covid booster then pay to get the flu jab at a chemist later. Same cost £15. I'm not sure what's causing the reaction as some are having a bad reaction to the flu jab this year.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

I don't believe so as I was told I'd have to pay if I refused to have them at the same time. Just as they've taken away my testing strips after 13 years!

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Yes, I had the flu one there a couple of weeks ago. When I asked about the Covid 3rd jab they said they weren’t doing that yet. Can’t say I was bothered about it. It seems all health authorities are doing things slightly differently.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

It does seem that each area has its own rules for so many things. I’ve never been offered testing strips, in fact I was told I don’t need to test!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My GP's receptionist told me that they weren't dealing with the vaccination programme this year - it was in the hands of the health board. I did get my letter and had to go to a separate unit in the hospital to get it done. They did ask if I wanted both at the same time but didn't say anything about paying for one or other.

It's not just each area that has its own way of doing things. I can still get testing strips but a friend of my sons hasn't been given a prescription for them, although he was given a meter. That's different nurses at the same diabetes centre. Were you told why you were no longer to have the test strips @maglil55? At the moment I am using test strips because the Libre sensors keep dropping off my arms - that's even with special patches to hold them on - those shear off of my skin as well. Should be putting a new one on tomorrow but I don't expect it to last more than a week. Maybe I should sandpaper my arm first.

10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

No idea how to share this without sounding like I'm bragging, but the happiness is bubbling up and it wants out, so here it is:
    My hba1c (first in two years) is 35! :happy::D

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Well done @Antje77 you rightly should be proud of that HbA1c. Take care though cos as you well know just when you think you have diabetes sussed it will do something very odd just to show you who is in charge

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Annb

Brilliant result @Antje77. It's well worth bragging about.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very true!
    It's eyes on the ball at all times, and even then diabetes can sneak up on you to do something unexpected.

• Hug Hug x 1
  14. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

I just got a letter saying Lothian Health Board had decreed "I didn't need testing strips so the surgery could no longer prescribe them". Sounded like cost cutting to me. I just self fund Libre now as it's cheaper than getting sufficient strips. I'll buy the occasional box of strips to check on the accuracy of the Libre.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Annb

I was looking on Amazon for patches to (hopefully) hold the Libre sensor onto my arm (they don't do so) and saw the cost of the sensors - over £100! Do Abbott sell them cheaper than that? I did think I might get one or 2 in, to cover the times when a sensor falls off, but not at that price!

Your health board's decision does sound like cost-cutting, which they do have to do, but not when it is to the detriment of the patient. Could your GP not make a case for you to have the test strips?

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:woot:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your on the boil there, you must be cooking with gas. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Only just spotted this, brilliant!
    Brag away you have every reason to do so. I’m so happy for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Yes they are £48 from Abbot ( don’t forget to tick the box saying you’re diabetic so don’t pay vat)
    @shelley262 uses a clear protective film over the sensors to keep in place because she goes swimming a lot. I’m racking my brains to think of the name of it, it’ll come to me later.
    I don’t use the film, the sensor stays on quite well by itself - I’ve only ever had one fall off and I’d been in the water quite a while and I’d been drying myself a bit too vigorously to get warm afterwards!

20. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I use Hypafix, the other one is Tegaderm.
    I feel much better using a patch, as i don't need to pay attention when dressing/undressing, walking through doors and of course swimming.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook