"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do like Marks & Spencers but like you say it is a tad expensive now (well for me it is) but it is good quality - I bought a winters coat out of there a couple of years ago (I spotted it, noticed they had loads so watched it come down in price online) and then I was one of the first there at my local store and got in the Boxing Day Sale. Their food is lovely too but again a bit pricey - I couldn't afford to shop there every week but occasionally do as a treat and if I am doing christmas dinner that is where I go for the turkey and I know it will turn out lovely!
I save my M&S vouchers for the Christmas Dinner!

Reactions: Annb and Mrs T 123

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Win your babies weight in tripe competition in Wigan.

GgyC0B0.jpeg

Perish the thought of that prize....:meh:

More info about tripe at this link.

https://tripemarketingboard.co.uk/about-us/
I love tripe! I make the Italian version - trippa alla Romano. A different version to the recipe on your site. It's mostly OK but I don't add black olives. I add chilli and some beans such as barletta, black eyed, cannellini. Whatever I have available. It's horribly difficult to get here.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's horribly difficult to get here.
That's good to know, I may visit one day and I can be sure not to get served the stuff as I detest tripe. :(

That was put here as a funny pix from years ago, I just updated the link to the current website.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t pay for my flu jab, got a letter from GP about it - I assumed as we are diabetic we are a priority group. It seems odd that you have to pay. Is that just in Boots do you suppose?
When I enquired at my GP surgery the receptionist said that the health board would be writing out to me to arrange probably for flu and covid booster to be done at same time at one of the vaccination centres - did you get yours at your gp surgery?

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been not great the day after having both astra zenecas ones too - this time I thought I might get the Pfizer if I get the choice as it would be a mixed whatever - I have booked in for my flu vaccine at Boots next week as didn't want to get both vaccines on same day as my GPs surgery has advised this is what will be happening in my area? - costs £14.99 and I can pick when I want to get it done - something else to pay for as well as paying national insurance which is supposed to cover any nhs costs but not happening at the moment ...
I mentioned on the other thread that Hubby had both flu and 3rd Covid on Wednesday. I still don't have my appointment but I said there was no way I was having both the same day. Hubby asked them about splitting the jabs but he didn't think to tell them I didn't want them at the same time because I had a mild allergic reaction to both covid vaccinations. He was told that if I can't be convinced to have both on the same day it will be nigh on impossible to rebook the other jab (that booking system is hopeless) so have the covid booster then pay to get the flu jab at a chemist later. Same cost £15. I'm not sure what's causing the reaction as some are having a bad reaction to the flu jab this year.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t pay for my flu jab, got a letter from GP about it - I assumed as we are diabetic we are a priority group. It seems odd that you have to pay. Is that just in Boots do you suppose?
I don't believe so as I was told I'd have to pay if I refused to have them at the same time. Just as they've taken away my testing strips after 13 years!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I enquired at my GP surgery the receptionist said that the health board would be writing out to me to arrange probably for flu and covid booster to be done at same time at one of the vaccination centres - did you get yours at your gp surgery?

Yes, I had the flu one there a couple of weeks ago. When I asked about the Covid 3rd jab they said they weren’t doing that yet. Can’t say I was bothered about it. It seems all health authorities are doing things slightly differently.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't believe so as I was told I'd have to pay if I refused to have them at the same time. Just as they've taken away my testing strips after 13 years!

It does seem that each area has its own rules for so many things. I’ve never been offered testing strips, in fact I was told I don’t need to test!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP's receptionist told me that they weren't dealing with the vaccination programme this year - it was in the hands of the health board. I did get my letter and had to go to a separate unit in the hospital to get it done. They did ask if I wanted both at the same time but didn't say anything about paying for one or other.

It's not just each area that has its own way of doing things. I can still get testing strips but a friend of my sons hasn't been given a prescription for them, although he was given a meter. That's different nurses at the same diabetes centre. Were you told why you were no longer to have the test strips @maglil55? At the moment I am using test strips because the Libre sensors keep dropping off my arms - that's even with special patches to hold them on - those shear off of my skin as well. Should be putting a new one on tomorrow but I don't expect it to last more than a week. Maybe I should sandpaper my arm first.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea how to share this without sounding like I'm bragging, but the happiness is bubbling up and it wants out, so here it is:
My hba1c (first in two years) is 35! :happy::D

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Antje77 you rightly should be proud of that HbA1c. Take care though cos as you well know just when you think you have diabetes sussed it will do something very odd just to show you who is in charge

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea how to share this without sounding like I'm bragging, but the happiness is bubbling up and it wants out, so here it is:

Brilliant result @Antje77. It's well worth bragging about.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Take care though cos as you well know just when you think you have diabetes sussed it will do something very odd just to show you who is in charge
Very true!
It's eyes on the ball at all times, and even then diabetes can sneak up on you to do something unexpected.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP's receptionist told me that they weren't dealing with the vaccination programme this year - it was in the hands of the health board. I did get my letter and had to go to a separate unit in the hospital to get it done. They did ask if I wanted both at the same time but didn't say anything about paying for one or other.

It's not just each area that has its own way of doing things. I can still get testing strips but a friend of my sons hasn't been given a prescription for them, although he was given a meter. That's different nurses at the same diabetes centre. Were you told why you were no longer to have the test strips @maglil55? At the moment I am using test strips because the Libre sensors keep dropping off my arms - that's even with special patches to hold them on - those shear off of my skin as well. Should be putting a new one on tomorrow but I don't expect it to last more than a week. Maybe I should sandpaper my arm first.
I just got a letter saying Lothian Health Board had decreed "I didn't need testing strips so the surgery could no longer prescribe them". Sounded like cost cutting to me. I just self fund Libre now as it's cheaper than getting sufficient strips. I'll buy the occasional box of strips to check on the accuracy of the Libre.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just got a letter saying Lothian Health Board had decreed "I didn't need testing strips so the surgery could no longer prescribe them". Sounded like cost cutting to me. I just self fund Libre now as it's cheaper than getting sufficient strips. I'll buy the occasional box of strips to check on the accuracy of the Libre.

I was looking on Amazon for patches to (hopefully) hold the Libre sensor onto my arm (they don't do so) and saw the cost of the sensors - over £100! Do Abbott sell them cheaper than that? I did think I might get one or 2 in, to cover the times when a sensor falls off, but not at that price!

Your health board's decision does sound like cost-cutting, which they do have to do, but not when it is to the detriment of the patient. Could your GP not make a case for you to have the test strips?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Only just spotted this, brilliant!
Brag away you have every reason to do so. I’m so happy for you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was looking on Amazon for patches to (hopefully) hold the Libre sensor onto my arm (they don't do so) and saw the cost of the sensors - over £100! Do Abbott sell them cheaper than that? I did think I might get one or 2 in, to cover the times when a sensor falls off, but not at that price!

Your health board's decision does sound like cost-cutting, which they do have to do, but not when it is to the detriment of the patient. Could your GP not make a case for you to have the test strips?

Yes they are £48 from Abbot ( don’t forget to tick the box saying you’re diabetic so don’t pay vat)
@shelley262 uses a clear protective film over the sensors to keep in place because she goes swimming a lot. I’m racking my brains to think of the name of it, it’ll come to me later.
I don’t use the film, the sensor stays on quite well by itself - I’ve only ever had one fall off and I’d been in the water quite a while and I’d been drying myself a bit too vigorously to get warm afterwards!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they are £48 from Abbot ( don’t forget to tick the box saying you’re diabetic so don’t pay vat)
@shelley262 uses a clear protective film over the sensors to keep in place because she goes swimming a lot. I’m racking my brains to think of the name of it, it’ll come to me later.
I don’t use the film, the sensor stays on quite well by itself - I’ve only ever had one fall off and I’d been in the water quite a while and I’d been drying myself a bit too vigorously to get warm afterwards!
I use Hypafix, the other one is Tegaderm.
I feel much better using a patch, as i don't need to pay attention when dressing/undressing, walking through doors and of course swimming.