"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The tip mrs mitten gave me was to go around touching as many things as possible, and rubbing it with my other fingers, fabric etc as it trains the sensation to feel somewhat normal again.
This is really interesting, and it's exactly what my neighbour's hand therapist told him after he mangled his hand in an accident, eventually resulting in the loss of a finger and lots of nerve damage.
When we started doing the occasional touchy stuff a couple of months back (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ery-time-i-share-a-bed-with-my-friend.203428/) I asked about touching the stump of his index finger and the now completely non functional pinky because I like hands and touching them, but didn't want to do something that feels uncomfortable to him.
He told me to go right ahead, exactly for the reason mrs. Mitten said.
My own little accident is peanuts compared to this, but I'll follow the advice!
Haha, that’s why I asked. was wondering if it was a “cup” thing as in if you had enough left in your cup to deal with today, or better to tackle once you’d “refilled” that particular cup tomorrow or another day.
Tired, but not in a cups or spoons way, just - tired.
Completely new experience for me, I've been counting 'spoons' for years because of mental lashback every time I overdid. And now suddenly nothing bad happens. Every time I'm tired now I fear I'm back to my 'normal', but instead I'm fine. I can get used to this, but it'll take some time, provided I won't drop back into my usual depressed self as sudden as I came out. Fingers crossed.
Ooh nealry forgot, yes, i assume it’s mad! I think any walrus living in a Victorian terraced house might be slightly bonkers to begin with, let alone their questionable taste in music!
:hilarious:

Last edited:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is really interesting, and it's exactly what my neighbour's hand therapist told him after he mangled his hand in an accident, eventually resulting in the loss of a finger and lots of nerve damage.
When we started doing the occasional touchy stuff a couple of months back (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ery-time-i-share-a-bed-with-my-friend.203428/) I asked about touching the stump of his index finger and the now completely non functional pinky because I like hands and touching them, but didn't want to do something that feels uncomfortable to him.
He told me to go right ahead, exactly for the reason mrs. Mitten said.
My own little accident is peanuts compared to this, but I'll follow the advice!

Tired, but not in a cups or spoons way, just - tired.
Completely new experience for me, I've been counting 'spoons' for years because of mental lashback every time I overdid. And now suddenly nothing bad happens. Every time I'm tired now I fear I'm back to my 'normal', but instead I'm fine. I can get used to this, but it'll take some time, provided I won't drop back into my usual depressed self as sudden as I came out. Fingers crossed.

:hilarious:

I don't want to give any advice on the matter as it wasn't asked for and I know nothing anyway

I hear you there.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to give any advice on the matter as it wasn't asked for and I know nothing anyway

I hear you there.
Don't worry, you only shared the advice mrs. mitten shared with you, regarding your own injury, no telling me what to do anywhere. ;)
Try swapping the "usual" from that sentence and replace it with "past"

It's your "new normal", fingers crossed (whether they are feeling fingers or not ;))
I'll stick with it being a 'holiday' for now.
If it turns out to be my 'new normal' all the better, but if it doesn't, much easier to deal with seeing it as a well deserved holiday to give me some extra energy for accepting life as it comes to me.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry, you only shared the advice mrs. mitten shared with you, regarding your own injury, no telling me what to do anywhere. ;)

Meant in the more general sense that I'm listening rather than trying to "fix" (not that I can, or should anyway)

text is so hard sometimes because a lot of the tone is missing.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There is still some of the beef mince left so today I will make Mulligatawny soup for tomorrow. We always have made Mulligatawny with beef but I saw a programme recently of Rick Stein in India where he showed chefs making it with chicken. That seems to have been the orginal - not that Mulligatawny is a traditional Indian dish by any means - it's one of the dishes invented during the British Raj to satisfy European tastes.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is still some of the beef mince left so today I will make Mulligatawny soup for tomorrow. We always have made Mulligatawny with beef but I saw a programme recently of Rick Stein in India where he showed chefs making it with chicken. That seems to have been the orginal - not that Mulligatawny is a traditional Indian dish by any means - it's one of the dishes invented during the British Raj to satisfy European tastes.

Now there's something I haven't had for a long time. I used to make a vegetarian version of it back then, never tried it with meat.

I'm keeping it simple with the getting back on track, bacon eggs and sausages again. A thing that keeps me sate all day usually.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course there is.
If I would have postponed I wouldn't have had to work up my courage today! :hilarious:

Turned out to not be as easy as we thought, but putting two pairs of reading glasses on top of eachother helped a lot.
Having the right equipment would have helped even more, but in the end we got them out with a Stanley knife and kitchen scissors, pulling up the stitches to make room for cutting with a pair of pliers neighbour usually uses at his job working with zinc on roofs. Both our households have a lack of tiny scissors and tweezers apparently.
It only hurt a little and feels much better now, even though it doesn't feel healed on the inside yet. I guess sticking a rather dull crowbar deep in your finger makes for a wound that doesn't heal as easily as a cut with a sharp knife.

Looks pretty good to me, before and after. :joyful:
(And yes, I painted with grey primer today, and with a black finish.)
It looks like I damaged a nerve for my skin though, so I now have a patch feeling really funny, and if I accidentally touch something with it in a certain way it feels 'wrong', making me slightly nauseous. Let's hope this will correct itself as well.

View attachment 67238

Do demented walruses (walri?) make a different sound from those still having their full mental capacities?

I also made some very cute pictures of my neighbour, and with all the stories you've already heard about him I think it's time to share. :)

View attachment 67239

View attachment 67240
Gosh your finger wound looks very impressive! I would have definitley had to go down the medical route for removal of the stitches and possibly with an anesthetic spray! Wonder if you will be left with a permanent smile scar on that finger?
Thanks for sharing photos too of your neighbour good to see as you have shared so many stories - as you say very cute.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'll stick to this thread in future if others still continue to use it. The main "What have you eaten..." is getting to be a bit unfriendly. Not entirely sure how to get this link onto the main one but I'll give it a try.
Im with you on this too - will mainly post on this thread in future as I really value my forum friends and love to hear how you all are as well as what you eat too!
I can see though that loads of chatty entries can make the low carb food thread unhelpful too with lots to scroll through when you miss some time on the forum and must be very dauting for those looking at the thread for inspiration.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 replying here to your yoghurt query for in case it breaches the rules..
These days I only make yoghurt using three things - a starter ( either a culture or a small pot of organic yoghurt or three spoons of yoghurt ive already made) and a litre of long life whole milk with a few spoons of dried skimmed milk powder beaten into the milk to make it richer.
Thin yoghurt can be caused if you heat the milk too much and add the starter to milk that is still too hot so heating the milk means using a thermometer which is a bit fiddly so I use solely uht whole milk now and dont heat it.
method - pour about a third of milk into a jug and add the skimmed milk powder whisking it until powder dissolves. Then add the starter culture or three tablespoons of already cultured yoghurt ( rule is only to re culture 5 times or it can go thin). Once whisked in add the rest of the milk.
I then pour the mix into my yoghurt maker and put timer on for 8 hours in normal yoghurt mode and it comes out thick I dont uusally need to strain my yoghurt with this method. I make it about twice a week and currently using a starter culture and this yoghurt maker
I bought a spare bowl as they are ceramic with a lid and can keep in fridge so that I could make next lot without having to wait to empty the pot!
Hope this is helpful Ive never reheated it and certainly not for 24 hours!! Id suspect it has gone thin because bacteria either ran out of food or was deactivated by heat - may not be the answer you wanted!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see though that loads of chatty entries can make the low carb food thread unhelpful too with lots to scroll through when you miss some time on the forum and must be very dauting for those looking at the thread for inspiration.
This is precisely what the difficulty has been.. Especially for new members, and those who feel outside the main chattering group. Thank you for understanding and explaining that, @shelley262 .

It is not being unfriendly to want to seek the information a thread is intended for. I do hope that the friendly folks, who have helped so many with the generous info and support on low carb eating will continue to offer that in the main thread, as well as carry on with your lovely social support for those that want it in this one.

edit of tag typo

Last edited:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, this is the interesting predicament as I mentioned yesterday, you either carry on as the natural way the thread has turned out and label it as such, or spin off a new thread for those only interested in that. Probably too much hard work to spread it out for some people. Given that if things are easier for people to do then they tend to do them more.

My hunch is that there might be a fear that it would leave the main thread a bit barren from the current contributors who are a bit more chatty and free, and nobody wants to be the cause of that. but then I’m optimistic in the thought that if people just want to follow that threads intention then the new people will arrive there and do just that or just carry on posting as usual and others will post elsewhere. Which of course creates another division but then that’s just the human predicament and in a wider sense natural selection, evolution doesn't work in a top down manner, however much we try to impose order on things.

Like anything we are all making it up as we go along and playing games to various sets of rules. I find that easier with clearer boundaries myself.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
These days I only make yoghurt using three things - a starter ( either a culture or a small pot of organic yoghurt or three spoons of yoghurt ive already made) and a litre of long life whole milk with a few spoons of dried skimmed milk powder beaten into the milk to make it richer.
Thin yoghurt can be caused if you heat the milk too much and add the starter to milk that is still too hot so heating the milk means using a thermometer which is a bit fiddly so I use solely uht whole milk now and dont heat it.
method - pour about a third of milk into a jug and add the skimmed milk powder whisking it until powder dissolves. Then add the starter culture or three tablespoons of already cultured yoghurt ( rule is only to re culture 5 times or it can go thin). Once whisked in add the rest of the milk.
I then pour the mix into my yoghurt maker and put timer on for 8 hours in normal yoghurt mode and it comes out thick I dont uusally need to strain my yoghurt with this method. I make it about twice a week and currently using a starter culture and this yoghurt maker
I bought a spare bowl as they are ceramic with a lid and can keep in fridge so that I could make next lot without having to wait to empty the pot!
Hope this is helpful Ive never reheated it and certainly not for 24 hours!! Id suspect it has gone thin because bacteria either ran out of food or was deactivated by heat - may not be the answer you wanted!
Thanks for that very helpful explanation of how to use UHT milk to make yoghurt. I was wondering about that, having found my 2 yoghurt flasks from way back when in the big clear-out.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is precisely what the difficulty has been.. Especially for new members, and those who feel outside the main chattering group. Thank you for understanding and explaining that, @shelley262 .

It is not being unfriendly to want to seek the information a thread is intended for. I do hope that the friendly folks, who have helped so many with the generous info and support on low carb eating will continue to offer that in the main thread, as well as carry on with your lovely social support for those that want it in this one.

edit of tag typo
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "unfriendly". The thread hasn't become unfriendly at all (that's just my rather tired feeling coming into play). What I meant was that it seems more sparse and not actually as friendly/pally as it was a while back. No problem with that, but if the chatting can carry on on this thread, I'll be happy to use it - probably, I must admit, in preference, but that's just me.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took your post as you intended @Annb rather than it’s become hostile.

I really should start making yogurt, can go through buckets of it, a “normal” sized pot of Greek style yoghurt is gone by the next day here!

Mum used to make some years ago in small pots in a little heated contraption, used to have a distinctive smell at first. Never tried making it myself so that post was very useful thanks. @shelley262

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "unfriendly". The thread hasn't become unfriendly at all (that's just my rather tired feeling coming into play). What I meant was that it seems more sparse and not actually as friendly/pally as it was a while back. No problem with that, but if the chatting can carry on on this thread, I'll be happy to use it - probably, I must admit, in preference, but that's just me.
@Annb and everyone,
please don’t take things to heart. The mod call to order in the main thread was not targetting anyone in particular. Nobody in trouble at all. The team really does like to see the support you all give each other. All threads need to be used for their intended purpose, though sometimes they go off topic too much, and create confusion and problems for members who are not regular posters.

An unintended consequence of having to keep tabs as a mod on the situation is that you have now encouraged me to participate in this chat thread. :)

With my mod hat off, now. That is quite an achievement, because those who know me , know how I guard my privacy, so much. I hope I can also be considered ‘a friend’ .

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if we were all in the same room we would pick up on the tone of replies a lot better too. It’s easy to read things in the frame of mind we are currently in rather than the other persons frame of mind they are currently in.

It’s lovely to have you @Pipp not that i’m hosting in any way.

I once had someone guess who I was on a message board from the posts I made which really freaked me out for a bit when they thought it was fun to wind me up, so for years I was more reserved about what I shared online, it made me very aware of what I was posting. I suppose you share at what level you are comfortable, I tend not to say anything I’d not be comfortable saying on the corner of a public place with people overhearing. That said it is easy to forget how open things are on a public forums when engaged.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a long time since I indulged in a bit of yogurt making. Anyone like coconut yogurt?
A few of us tried experimenting, long time ago.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if we were all in the same room we would pick up on the tone of replies a lot better too. It’s easy to read things in the frame of mind we are currently in rather than the other persons frame of mind they are currently in.

It’s lovely to have you @Pipp not that i’m hosting in any way.

I once had someone guess who I was on a message board from the posts I made which really freaked me out for a bit when they thought it was fun to wind me up, so for years I was more reserved about what I shared online, it made me very aware of what I was posting. I suppose you share at what level you are comfortable, I tend not to say anything I’d not be comfortable saying on the corner of a public place with people overhearing. That said it is easy to forget how open things are on a public forums when engaged.
Thank you @ravensmitten.
Yes, and it is not just members who are able to read forum. Don’t need to be lodgged in to see posts.
Have had a bad experience with online stalker, hence my caution about what I post.