What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't have my glasses on ands they looked a bit like stuffed mice!

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Not very inspiring foodwise...been quite hungry last 3 days so upped my fats today. Still figuring this out but enjoying trying new food combos.

Breakfast - medium apple, cottage cheese, 2 nairns oat cakes
Lunch - chicken and avocado salad. Handful peanuts.
Dinner - thin steak with guacamole, sweet potato chunks
Some carbs in there but only small portion sizes. Really need more veggies but busy deciding what i want to move on to next lol.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to check your meals against your meter - pre and at 2 hrs - to see if the likes of oat cakes and apples and sweet spuds are ok for you. Some people can eat small amounts of things like that, others can't and only by testing will you build up a data base of safe for you foods. Good that you are cutting down though and thinking about dietary changes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not very inspiring foodwise...been quite hungry last 3 days so upped my fats today. Still figuring this out but enjoying trying new food combos.

Breakfast - medium apple, cottage cheese, 2 nairns oat cakes
Lunch - chicken and avocado salad. Handful peanuts.
Dinner - thin steak with guacamole, sweet potato chunks
Some carbs in there but only small portion sizes. Really need more veggies but busy deciding what i want to move on to next lol.

I can only speak from personal experience - but that would be an awful lot of carbs for me, for breakfast. And definitely too little fat.
The other meals are probably ok - but I personally have to be careful with sweet potato. Others are fine with it.

After your breakfast I would be ravenous and carb craving by 10.30 am.

Can I suggest you do a trial protein, fat but no carb brekkie? Just once.
Something like scrambled egg, or 97% meat sausages. Don't skimp on the fat - even if you want to lose weight - this is a trial, remember.

Just try it one day, see how you feel, and decide if you want to do it again. If you do it again, try different amounts of fat and protein, to see what works.

Reactions: 4 people

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
breakfast~ Shredded wheat

lunch~ egg on brown bread, 1 med apple

dinner~ salad, scampi and a few french fries

supper ~ banana sandwich

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
breakfast~ Shredded wheat

lunch~ egg on brown bread, 1 med apple

dinner~ salad, scampi and a few french fries

supper ~ banana sandwich
And your levels are where?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Actually its the first day i've had carbs for breakfast and it was 28g worth. I've been having approx 100g a day split over 3 meals and snacks. I'm still establishing how much carb...and when...i can have to keep my blood glucose acceptable. Its still early days and i'm experimenting with different carbs to see what happens. As i said the portion sizes of carbs have been very small. Not sure if its more a head hunger thing as i've never been good at telling the difference.

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast bacon and scrambled egg
Lunch few scratchings Apple and cheese
Dinner (at work at my desk again!!) Corned beef, hard boiled egg yolk ( don't do white!!),cucumber
Supper when home strawberries and cream

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Loobles are you on metformin?
No...still awaiting diagnosis...results of second fasting glucose test should be in shortly. A1c was 44 and fasting glucose 6.5 if i remember rightly...so makes me pre diabetic? Doing everything I can to turn this around.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wondered as on another thread it was noted that metformin seems to help decrease appetite.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just wondered as on another thread it was noted that metformin seems to help decrease appetite.
Yeah I've heard that. Am hoping though if I up the fats that my appetite might die down a bit because I know I haven't been having enough fats. Went shopping today and bought loads of healthy fat stuff. Getting into the swing of things I think and definitely feeling happy with my progress :)

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Maybe I should as doc about Metformin? Although not sure if he'd prescribe it if pre diabetic?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I should as doc about Metformin? Although not sure if he'd prescribe it if pre diabetic?

Hi
You don't need the met if you reduce your carb intake more. I'm the same as you and my BG only came down once I regularly are less than 30g total carbs a day. I think 100g is quite high for low carbing.

It sounds drastic but it's really not painful. I love all the food I can have now. Embrace fat - it's so satisfying!

X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: bowl of homemade chicken stock (forgot to add anything to it) with cheesy shortbread and butter; followed by Greek yoghurt with a single fresh apricot and a sprinkle of pine nuts, and a little almond cookie. Peppermint tea.

Dinner: Pork chop with fried courgettes, the remains of yesterday's roast celeriac, and a tiny bit of red cabbage, followed by raspberries and clotted cream. Highland Spring sparkling elderflower to drink; tried this as (a) it's on offer at Tesco, and (b) it's sweetened with Stevia - I can usually taste other sweeteners and I HATE them, but this seems OK.

low_carb-pork_chop.jpg

Snacks: chocolate coconut oil "snowball", and later a piece of Lindt 85% dark choccie. Water.

Supper will be either some mini frankfurters or thin mixed slices of German salami and a few olives.

Robbity

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi
You don't need the met if you reduce your carb intake more. I'm the same as you and my BG only came down once I regularly are less than 30g total carbs a day. I think 100g is quite high for low carbing.

It sounds drastic but it's really not painful. I love all the food I can have now. Embrace fat - it's so satisfying!

X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
I don't plan on staying on 100, but as a previous carbaholic I needed to start somewhere lol. I do plan on getting it right down...doing some research this weekend and will order my shopping tomorrow. As soon as I have 50 cauliflowers I'll be fine lol

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reducing it gradually is a good way to dodge the Carb Flu bullet.

Wish there was a 'thumb up' smilie. I'd be using it a lot!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried the ASDA Extra Special Greek Yoghurt? It's a Pru Leith one, with added cream. I noticed it when I was doing my internet shop and though of the HF, LCHFers.

Status
Not open for further replies.