What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

Look at all those 'oopses'... :) Tomorrow is another day, forget the blip... but Truvia might have been better.. :)
Despite the ooopsies several tests showed I never went above 6.2 .... How good is that.... Will do a PROPER cake test today, see the impact by itself....but seems its low GI/GL claims may be truly well founded :D:D:D

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cocoa with cream sounds lush.... How do you make it?
Just made it up like an ordinary cup of cocoa Rose but with water instead of milk; made a paste with cold water and topped up with hot then added a good helping of double cream. I don't use sweetener but some peeps might need to add a bit. The G&B cocoa is lovely, just like their dark chocolate, and virtually no carbs

Reactions: 7 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Got to go to Wagamamma's tomorrow for mothers day. Have been trawling their website and have shortlisted the following:
Starter = Tori Kara Age (Deep Fried Chicken Pieces with Chiili Sauce) @ 10.8g of carb
Main Course = Can only see salads as being feasible - Warm chilli chicken salad @ 20.6g of carb

Not sure about drinks. Might go for a glass of wine.

Anyone else got any other dishes they have tried?
I usually go for the chicken ramen or similar, but that was before lchf. Not sure what effect noodles would have

Reactions: 5 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Brunneria Goddess, can you repost the stracciatella cake recipe? Have looked but can't find it.

Ye Gods my friends we are a lot of greedy pigs, but it is wonderful that we can eat luscious things and be well. Sez LSW
Yes, it's easier to bear when you feel you can treat yourself as much as you like :)

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually go for the chicken ramen or similar, but that was before lchf. Not sure what effect noodles would have

61g of carb per serving unfortunately for a chicken ramen. My wife says I should just eat and ignore the values for this one meal but I can't get myself to do that.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Despite the ooopsies several tests showed I never went above 6.2 .... How good is that.... Will do a PROPER cake test today, see the impact by itself....but seems its low GI/GL claims may be truly well founded :D:D:D
I'm getting the ginger out now then... Fingers crossed!! :D:joyful:

Reactions: 3 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Ah. Curries spike me. Technique?
Curry should not spike you as long as there's no potato in it, no rice or bread? Coconut milk to thicken and slake the spices is perfect... :)

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cupboards are now bare so I've had a bit of a mishmash
: Alpro coconut yoghurt. It was a 500g tub, so I had half for brekkie and finished it off mid morning
L: blue cheese, bit of ham with cream cheese, avocado
D: scraping the bottom of the barrel, I'm not sure what I can have. There's some ham hock, a variety of cheeses and one egg so I'll have to try to cobble something out of that later. Oh, also have the usual yoghurt cream and berries.

S

Sable_Jan

How about the full recipe. Sounds yum
GINGER CAKE
4ozs Quinoa flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 oz coconut palm sugar
ground ginger to taste
4oz pinhead oatmeal
4 oz unsalted butter (sweet butter)
1 beaten egg

Melt butter and stir in the sugar followed by rest of the dry ingredients
beat the egg and stir into the mixture

Pour into small loaf tin lined with baking parchment

cook at 120C for an hour to hour and a half until knife comes out clean

lift out of tin with edges of paper and cool on a baking rack

I adapted one of my old favourite recipes and luckily it came out ok the first time - apart from burning the sugar slightly (I's put butter AND sugar on together but as it doesn't dissolve into the butter like normal sugar does it stuck a little - hence the melt butter first.......

I tested at various stages but still not done a "cake by itself test" yet. I'll post my post dinner reading as that includes the cake around half hour after my 2first bite. I had a 3 large tomato, 2 egg and good dose of cheese omelette for dinner before the cake

S

Sable_Jan

Yes, it's easier to bear when you feel you can treat yourself as much as you like :)
I'm loving sugar free jelly with extra thick squirty cream or scoop of Angel Delight ice cream mix made up with soya milk - I can get away with a scoop. ITs the Hartley's jelly, didn't like the Morrison's one with sucrose sweetener

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. Curries spike me. Technique?

Lol.

Choose with care!

It was in the tiny curry house just round the corner from work.

I (obviously) don't choose the breads, rices, poppadoms, chutneys or the sweetened gloopy or fruity sauces.

That meal was
Chicken shashlik (skewered cubes of chicken, onion and pepper, served with an unsweetened, non starchy veg sauce)
Saag paneer (spinach and cheese)
Brinjal bhaji (aubergine bhaji)

I think often the problem can be that a curry sauce may be mainly puréed onion, with potato, parsnip, sweet potato or other root veg. Sometimes with added sugar. :banghead:And if it has tomato, then they often add even more sugar! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have a few 'safe' options that I go for, alongside the veg, which I have every time. The options include dry curries like bhuna and chicken tikka, sauce curries like butter chicken. I would avoid anything creamy or fruity, like chicken tikka masala, pasanda and korma - they are bound to be sweetened.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GINGER CAKE
4ozs Quinoa flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 oz coconut palm sugar
ground ginger to taste
4oz pinhead oatmeal
4 oz unsalted butter (sweet butter)
1 beaten egg

Melt butter and stir in the sugar followed by rest of the dry ingredients
beat the egg and stir into the mixture

Pour into small loaf tin lined with baking parchment

cook at 120C for an hour to hour and a half until knife comes out clean

lift out of tin with edges of paper and cool on a baking rack

I adapted one of my old favourite recipes and luckily it came out ok the first time - apart from burning the sugar slightly (I's put butter AND sugar on together but as it doesn't dissolve into the butter like normal sugar does it stuck a little - hence the melt butter first.......

I tested at various stages but still not done a "cake by itself test" yet. I'll post my post dinner reading as that includes the cake around half hour after my 2first bite. I had a 3 large tomato, 2 egg and good dose of cheese omelette for dinner before the cake

That looks lovely, but waaaay too high carb for me. :(

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B My flax bread toasted with garlic Boursin
Two hours gardening
White asparagus with melted butter
Another slice of flax bread with Boursin
A kipper fillet with buttered flax bread, berries and cream, sprinkled with Truvia...
Two sea bass fillets with baby marrows fried in butter and kale from my garden... I'm just going to shower and then make this...
I am also going to make some kind of pudding - probably chocolate... Did half an hour on my treadmill and feel I've earned it... :angelic:
After gardening my meter gave me 4.4.. I just wish I could do that first thing in the morning...

S

Sable_Jan

That looks lovely, but waaaay too high carb for me. :(
The quinoa flour is low GI/GL as is the palm blossom sugar and pinhead oats....mayb you could use soya flour instead with some xanthan gum? You only need a small piece....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The quinoa flour is low GI/GL as is the palm blossom sugar and pinhead oats....mayb you could use soya flour instead with some xanthan gum? You only need a small piece....
I cannot... I love quinoa but all that stuff there spikes me badly... Except xanthan!! :) back to the coconut flour and almond cakes... :D

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast is two rashers of bacon and two eggs (done into a kind of omelette)

Lunch is a ham and boiled egg salad (courtesy of Asda Good and Balanced range)

Dinner is two chicken breasts with salad

Pretty much the same thing every day as I'm on a low budget

Type 2 - Getting good blood results and going without any medication

Reactions: 11 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Egg, bacon and sausage.
L. Chicken, cauli and butternut squash mash, peas and carrots. Bg pist 2h 6.4
D. Coffee n cream, small bar 85% choc

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

@Brunneria & @Susikav

Sorry you won't be able to eat the cake girls...... :sorry::sorry: Each test I've come out under 2 spike.....

The low GI/GL seems to work for me.

I'll try the palm blossom sugar in something using the soya flour and see what the result of that is. Still haven't tried making meringue with the granulated sweetener yet..... Not made for such a long time i need to dig a recipe out first..... or maybe I'll just beat a couple of egg whites to the peak stage and gradually add and taste and then bake - slow cool oven if I remember rightly?

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.