What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: Bacon and mushroom stuffed Lidl protein roll

Lunch: (probably) huge Costa Americano with cream

Dinner: would have been BBQ but it's raining so now it's going to be.... Lidl spatchcock peri peri chicken, aubergine chips, halloumi, romaine, cherry tomatoes, red onion, sour cream

Prosecco

2 squares of 90%

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
B: mushroom and bacon omelette with spinach
L: a low carb blueberry danish, one of the Fathead 24 pastry recipes (hot out of the oven) no blood glucose impact
D: a handful of Doritos, with lashings of salza, guacamole and cream cheese, followed by a huge slice of low carb blueberry danish. bg rose to a little over 7 for about an hour, then eased down again. very pleased.

Only problem is that the danish didn't have a properly cooked brown bottom, so next time I think I will need to flip it for the last 10 mins in the oven.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
B: mushroom and bacon omelette with spinach
L: a low carb blueberry danish, one of the Fathead 24 pastry recipes (hot out of the oven) no blood glucose impact
D: a handful of Doritos, with lashings of salza, guacamole and cream cheese, followed by a huge slice of low carb blueberry danish. bg rose to a little over 7 for about an hour, then eased down again. very pleased.

Only problem is that the danish didn't have a properly cooked brown bottom, so next time I think I will need to flip it for the last 10 mins in the oven.
How did the blueberry Danish taste? I'm so glad I found that 24 of the best Fathead recipes.

Reactions: Ultramum and Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did the blueberry Danish taste? I'm so glad I found that 24 of the best Fathead recipes.

It is nice. I guesstimated the sweetener quantity (I only use erythritol), and I don't think I used enough, plus there was the aforementioned soggy bottom - but that is easily rectified.

The pastry mix she uses is equal quantities coconut flour, almond flour and ground flaxseed, so it comes out kind of brown and kind of wholemeal textured, which I love, but I think that Danishes are not usually wholemeal, so I may try it all almond flour next time. The filling is delicious!

I had some today, as breakfast. There was no blood glucose impact at all for me. :couchpotato:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Odd , odd day. Bed on 5.6 despite trying to inhale Black Forest Gateaux (I did resist though). Very restless night and FBG was 7.2. Grabbed a boiled egg and deposited No 2 at nursery then got back to be reminded this was No 1 's sports day. No breakfast and it was bitter but the rain stayed off thankfully. Less welcome was BG shooting up to 9.3. Came back down but couldn't have been food (I'd only had the cold boiled egg). Can standing in the cold put your BG up? Anyway
B. Cold boiled egg
L. After thawing - Tassimo morning coffee with cream. Lidl high protein roll with ham, lettuce, 1 small tomato and a little cheese coleslaw.
D. Leftover rack of lamb with leftover green beans, cauliflower and broccoli.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Yesterday
Skipped Breakfast

12 pm bacon x 3 rashers on a whole meal roll cup tea

Evening Meal 6 pm
Steak cauliflower and roast potatoes x2 mushrooms done in butter
Small slice lemon cheesecake cup tea

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
Skipped Breakfast

12 pm bacon x 3 rashers on a whole meal roll cup tea

Evening Meal 6 pm
Steak cauliflower and roast potatoes x2 mushrooms done in butter
Small slice lemon cheesecake cup tea

More carbs than I could tolerate :-( ... glad it's working for you

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese omelette with mushrooms

No lunch

Anniversary dinner of:

Rump steak, salad and homemade coleslaw, asparagus in butter and leeks in cream; followed by two strawberries with cream. No alcohol as a lot of paperwork to get my head round before work tomorrow but may have a couple of squares of 81%

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Safely home courtesy of BA - just a short delay, so one of the fortunate ones.

Breakfast - skipped

Lunch - couldn't resist a final visit to Five Guys. Bunless cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce with mayo, tomato and onion. 2 squares Lindt 90%

Snack - remaining 2 squares of Lindt 90% while waiting for flight

Dinner - skipped. Not hungry.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese omelette with mushrooms

No lunch

Anniversary dinner of:

Rump steak, salad and homemade coleslaw, asparagus in butter and leeks in cream; followed by two strawberries with cream. No alcohol as a lot of paperwork to get my head round before work tomorrow but may have a couple of squares of 81%

Like the sound of your anniversary dinner

Reactions: Ultramum

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
B- 2x boiled egg and chicken breast

L- Piti piri mackerel , coleslaw And 5 bean salad

D - will probably be cod is parsley sauce , cheese , broccoli cauliflower and green beans
With
Raspberry and cream

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still can't suss out what is happening with my BG. Bed on 7.3 FBG was 7.1 and pre breakfast was 8 today. Having said that I was rushing about this morning as No 2 was in dead slow mode. @Chook , I did try 2 small Jersey Royals with butter alongside my leftover rack of lamb. I won't do that again - arrow on Libre was vertical ! I hit 10.1 before it crashed back down. I did check with a finger prick too and it was up there. The remainder of the meal I'd had the day before with No effect I.e the lamb, broccoli, green beans and cauliflower so the Jersey Royals were the only different thing. Who would have thought 2 small potatoes could send you from 5.6 to 10.1. Come to think of it that's probably why I only got to 7.3 pre bed. Anyway.
B. Last cold boiled egg and Tassimo morning coffee with cream.
L Toasted Lidl high protein roll with melted grated cheese
D. Liver, onion, cauliflower mash, and maybe a fried egg.
Will certainly have 2 squares of 90%.

No 2's thought for the day. "Did you know in the olden days there was a big , huge fire in London Nana?" - Yes " and lots and lots of houses got burned because they didn't have fire engines?"
"Yes , I knew that. But did you know the big fire started in a bakery in Pudding Lane?"
Thinks for a moment. "In a bakers? Where they make bread? Nah, I reckon it was a Dragon".
Follow that.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Still can't suss out what is happening with my BG. Bed on 7.3 FBG was 7.1 and pre breakfast was 8 today. Having said that I was rushing about this morning as No 2 was in dead slow mode. @Chook , I did try 2 small Jersey Royals with butter alongside my leftover rack of lamb. I won't do that again - arrow on Libre was vertical ! I hit 10.1 before it crashed back down. I did check with a finger prick too and it was up there. The remainder of the meal I'd had the day before with No effect I.e the lamb, broccoli, green beans and cauliflower so the Jersey Royals were the only different thing. Who would have thought 2 small potatoes could send you from 5.6 to 10.1. Come to think of it that's probably why I only got to 7.3 pre bed. Anyway.
B. Last cold boiled egg and Tassimo morning coffee with cream.
L Toasted Lidl high protein roll with melted grated cheese
D. Liver, onion, cauliflower mash, and maybe a fried egg.
Will certainly have 2 squares of 90%.

No 2's thought for the day. "Did you know in the olden days there was a big , huge fire in London Nana?" - Yes " and lots and lots of houses got burned because they didn't have fire engines?"
"Yes , I knew that. But did you know the big fire started in a bakery in Pudding Lane?"
Thinks for a moment. "In a bakers? Where they make bread? Nah, I reckon it was a Dragon".
Follow that.

I love the things your grandson says - they always make me smile. I meant to ask, did he manage to whistle on his birthday?

Isn't it strange how our bodies react differently to the same things? I was so pleased about the jersey royals that I'm planning to have them again next month as a birthday treat.... only a couple of tiddlers with lots of butter...

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love the things your grandson says - they always make me smile. I meant to ask, did he manage to whistle on his birthday?

Isn't it strange how our bodies react differently to the same things? I was so pleased about the jersey royals that I'm planning to have them again next month as a birthday treat.... only a couple of tiddlers with lots of butter...
No but he's still trying. He's still recovering from way too much cake.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and yoghurt

L. Slice of corned beef, Stilton and mini houmous pot.

1 hours swimming

D. Hunters chicken with mixed green vegetables. Strawberries and yoghurt.