What is the no 1 thing that frustrates you about living with type 1 diabetes?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I would love to hear your thoughts on this important topic...............

Reactions: Juicyj

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 since 2012. Hi ! Good question and you should get many answers. I miss Chocolate and a sweet after dinner, I have a boring diet which is suposed to reverse my diabetes but it's not working as quick as I hope it would, so I battle on being a good boy.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not ever having a single day off (I have never known life without it)

I get time off from my money-earning job, but yeah Type 1 - never any time off

RoughcutAU

As a reasonably recent member to the T1D club the most frustrating thing so far is lack of spontaneity. Ie “Oh I could go a sweet treat” Reality - ugh I can’t be bothered counting carbs and dosing appropriately.. so just go with out. Same with other activities.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The treadmill of it. I’m pretty relaxed but you cannot switch off.

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not being able to get the help asked for consultations keep being cancelled unhelpful diabetes nurses and not being able to have repeat prescriptions

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All of it! Not sure I can pick one thing.
But maybe that it just keeps getting harder and more unpredictable :( I thought it would get easier to deal with, but nope, no such luck.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The unpredictability.
What works perfect one day can mean a rollercoaster the next.
Also sensors which aren't nearly as accurate as in the advertisements.

Reactions: briansolar1

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the above plus the assumption that all diabetes is the same.
I have had enough of the "why don't you stop taking insulin and eat low carb/do more exercise/...?"

It's tough enough when I have the same type of diabetes as 10% of people with diabetes, I cannot imagine hoe frustrating it s if you have MODY or one of the less common types.

(This is not a criticism of anyone with type 2 on this forum. It is a criticism of the media abbreviating "type 2 diabetes" to just "diabetes".)

Reactions: jjraak

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors & mainly nurses not knowing the actual effects, difficulties and feelings we have to personally deal with. Learning from a book and listening is one thing however having to deal with such a problem is different.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and jjraak

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not being able to get the help asked for consultations keep being cancelled unhelpful diabetes nurses and not being able to have repeat prescriptions

Odd I have non of your problems so, I find the NHS staff very helpful and am very grateful for them , my consultations always on time ( it helps if you ask for the first appointment . I don't understand why they don't give you repeats. I have been T1 for 30 years and it has never been a problem. .

Reactions: briansolar1

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The assumption that if you end up in DKA (or close to it) it is your own fault, because everyone knows female diabetics stop taking their insulin in order to lose weight. This was repeated by two doctors, when I was strugging with crazy BS levels after Hypurin Bovine Lente had been discontinued and I had been on three different basals in a matter of weeks.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Odd I have non of your problems so, I find the NHS staff very helpful and am very grateful for them , my consultations always on time ( it helps if you ask for the first appointment . I don't understand why they don't give you repeats. I have been T1 for 30 years and it has never been a problem. .
lucky you

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All of the above, but the 2 things that frustrate me the most are never having a day off, and the unpredictability of it.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Exercising in the afternoon/evening crashes my blood sugars.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The appointments.. Plain & simple. It's always just been the appointments.

Reactions: UnionBerlin

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Having had diabetes for over 40 years I don’t really get frustrated about anything anymore it’s just a way of life now and to be honest there are far more people worse off than me , let’s fCe it these days if your type 1 you can eat almost anything libre makes blood testing easier , I’ve lost my leg and even that doesn’t get on my nerves , I suppose the main thing that frustrates. Me is the 3 year driving license , mainly because I hate filling in forms ,
Even with all I’ve said when I was first diagnosed I was frustrated at everything , I hated diabetes , everything every part of it but as with most things in life time and experience is a great leveller ,
Great thread btw

Last edited:
Reactions: Smiler99 and Juicyj

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having to think about it so much! Its exhausting making so many decisions on a daily basis, and I hate how rubbish I feel when I’m having a bad patch with rollercoaster bloods - especially trying to handle hormonal days

Reactions: Ledzeptt