1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What on earth can I do???

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by tcamper1963, Feb 15, 2020.

1. tcamper1963

tcamper1963 · Active Member

I eat avocado, feta cheese, yoghurt and use olive oil and coconut oil for cooking ..

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Are you avoiding meat for any particular reason?
    None of your reported meals seems to contain any..

3. tcamper1963

I don't 'enjoy' the fasting part but I can do it, with the mantra of short term pain for long term gain'.

The keto food I find difficult in terms of not wanting to eat meat, plus i only eat feta cheese, my gallbladder has been removed so I keep fatty foods to a minimum.

I should look at vegan keto and vege keto as my next fact finding mission...possibly sign up to diet doctor and see how Ai get on with that...???

4. tcamper1963

Yes...I have just returned from Vietnam and decided to return to vegetarianism after 25 years of being a carnivore!!!

5. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t fast beyond lasting as long as I can comfortably in the morning. I don’t snack in between meals though so as to avoid continued prompting of insulin. It’s not compulsory. It’s also much easier if you’re eating enough fat between fasts and are full fat adapted.

You don’t want to eat meat? For moral/ethical reasons or because you think that it’s healthier not to? The latter is simply not true and can be evidenced in here if it helps.

I have no gallbladder. Many others doing low carb/ keto don’t either. The vast majority of people without gallbladders can eat sufficient fat. We still make the bile just store and deliver it differently. It might well mean increasing fats slowly and evenly across the day though so you can step up bile production to match. Too much too quickly can be ....unpleasant.

If you already find keto hard then doing it newly vegan will be a seriously uphill battle.

6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Edited to: ignore me, I misread something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. lucylocket61

Getting enough fats is really important. Many on here have no gall bladder, and may be able to suggest ideas for you.

8. bulkbiker

Doubt you were a carnivore for 25 years... you mean an omnivore?

9. tcamper1963

:bored::bored::bored:

10. tcamper1963

Yes of course omnivore....the new lingo is Flexitarian!!! Eating meat sometimes.....

11. bulkbiker

Had you been a 25 year carnivore you would likely have been the first ever to develop T2 hence my desire to clarify.

12. tcamper1963

13. tcamper1963

Thank you for that very useful info

14. tcamper1963

Yes I was vegan 30 years ago...it was very tough back then...I guess keto vegan/veggie is going to be tough...I still will eat fish...pescatarian? And thankfully I like tofu!

15. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As I said if you are doing it for supposed health reasons, don’t believe it. There’s a lot of confounded hype from people with vested and mistaken and misleading interests about how meat is damaging to health and the planet.

pescetarian is doable, fish and eggs and dairy keep a lot of options open though. Just get enough fats in so you aren’t hungry. You’ll be miserable and never stick to anything that leaves you hungry all the time. There’s a vegetarian section of the forum that might help you with ideas.

16. lucylocket61

How many carbs are you eating a day? Our carb reduction is the single most important thing in keeping our blood sugar levels normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bulkbiker

You might be interested in Carrie Diulius .. a keto vegan T1

Avocados and lots of fish should be fine how about dairy, eggs ... they would help too?

18. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a quick post from me. I eat 30 - 50g of carbs per day to keep my blood sugar levels under control. I had my gall bladder removed years before my type 2 diagnosis and developed chronic diarrhoea from the constant drip of bile into my guts. Since I went low carb/higher fat my bowels have returned to normal :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I found that my blood glucose was better eating early and late, the closer to 12 hours apart the better. I do not eat at other times, and usually drink only water - I have coffee with cream once or twice a day, usually when cooking.
    I eat a lot of salad and stir fry or roasted veges, no dense carbs - no legumes other than a small serving of peas or funner/french beans, or bean sprouts

20. tcamper1963

OK. .. that is LOW carb..I will track my carbs and track my glucosy levels....

Thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook