What pattern is this. Any recommendations for this case please.

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello, everyone.

I have been very good with my diet for 4 months. Previously, in last Sep. My HbA1c was 65 and came down to 37 in last Dec. and stopped my med for a month by now (with my GP's advice).The last one month my BG fasting is average 6.4-6.7 without meds. much higher after breakfast / lunch 16 hours fasting. 7-7.2.

I have to admit I have been eating some more cabs lately, special after long hour fasting. Last night BG was 4.8 before sleep, this morning fasting was 6.4 and my first meal was 12 noon today. 2 hours after 8.7:arghh: I ate 2 vermicelli +veg buns total carbs were 45g-( I know it was bad). Totally deserter. May I ask if everyone watch carb intake all the time to put into remission? Clearly my battle is going to be very long. I know I should watch out my carbs intake, just sometimes so hard to resist and carving for. What to do to bring it down? no carbs or keep losing weight until my resistance improved? Please advice.

Thank you

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rilakkuma02

To answer your question, watching carbs consistently has been key to dropping my numbers into the non-diabetic range. For me personally it needs to be very low carb, but that varies from person to person.

For many of us the ‘moderation’ thing can also be difficult - for me, it’s far easier to eat none of something which triggers cravings/overeating than to try and have it every now and again. Slowly but surely ‘every now and again’ or ‘just a small bit’ becomes far too frequent and far too much.

Not the same for everyone, but worth figuring out which strategy will help with your mindset and management.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask if everyone watch carb intake all the time to put into remission

Just in response to this question, I think the answer is yes. I know I'm type 1 but I have to watch my carb intake ALL the time to manage my condition or I am soon likely to become unwell, in my opinion the same can be said for a type 2. Carbs essentially are the problem (some would say 'poison') so if you don't watch them, your health may suffer. I am not suggesting a person doesn't eat them, it's their decision as to how many carbs to eat or not and up to them whether they are willing to eat more than their body might be able to cope with but yes, I DO think to manage diabetes, carb intake needs 'watching' all the time in the way a person with a nut allergy has to watch nuts! Also, even in remission I reckon you need to 'watch' carbs or you'll probably find you'll be out of remission in no time. x

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I just accept that I must forever stick to a very low carb diet. After a year of diabetes I have pretty much identified what I can and can’t eat, based upon my meter testing. I do occasionally try something new, and then that gets tested a couple of times to see how it works for me - my friend is a recent enthusiastic convert to keto and she suggests new things to try, or I come across something new online.

But in general I now know what I can tolerate, and that is what I must eat for the rest of my life. It’s not really any kind of problem, I buy suitable foods and make yummy dinners - it’s just a different palette of choices to the one I had before. In fact my diet is more varied and more satisfying than pre-diagnosis, I was terribly lazy and lived of rubbishy ready meals back then!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, it's a lifestyle not a diet. For me, carbs mean higher BG and higher BG means all those nasty symptoms. That makes it easier, and I prefer to go without rather than to sneak the odd bit of carb, which I think for me would be the start of a slippery slope.

Reactions: rilakkuma02

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for everyone leaving me lots of good advice. As my nurse told me I will be forever monitored because I have diabetes gene in my body. It is very encouraging to know I am not the only one fighting for this (sometimes really feel this way) and yes, when my bad mood kicked in with several lockdowns, I turned to eating more. I will try harder and control carbs and perhaps have to accept this is my life. Good news is probably a healthy lifestyle.

Thank you everyone.